• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Subscribe to SteamWorkshop

Could you please confirm the correct location that subscribed workshop maps will download to?

I have subbed to a handful of maps and have the server working on some of them. I have added the appropriate new content to the ini files as per the documentation yet the server crashes when loading certain maps according to the logs it couldn't find the files. The doco doesn't mention where the maps reside.

I have found them in KFGame\Cache folder, in subfolders by there workshop ID - except some maps have different subfolder structures to others and I wonder if thats messing things up. I could move the files around but I imagine that will stop the Workshop Sub from working...

Is the change in folder structure a problem? Or is my issue likely elsewhere?

For example:

KFGame\Cache\<ID>\0\BrewedPC\KF-MCP1_Favela.kfm
KFGame\Cache\<ID>\0\BrewedPC\Port\KF-MCP1_Port.kfm

Upvote 0
I have a problem making the server download maps from the workshop. I followed the wiki instructions and this is the error I get:

The server can't download/install the workshop map due to too less available disk space.
Code:
[0416.58] Critical: Windows GetLastError: Not enough storage is available to process this command. (8)
That is why it is shutting down.

Upvote 0
Quick question, how do we set the update check interval for workshop items?

I've just added my first Workshop map to my server and watching it, I see a bunch of lines that its checking for updates quite a bit. Guessing like once every 30 seconds or so.

Is there a setting we can change so it doesn't check so often? I'd like to make it so it only checks once every couple of hours instead.

Upvote 0
I subscribed my server to a map using the guide on the wiki and it just keeps saying

Log: UKFWorkshopSteamworks::ForceItemInstall: State of item 642694644 is 4.

but it isn't actually downloading the map.

Everything I did to my server is:
I added

[OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks]
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=642694644

at the bottom of my PCServer-KFEngine.ini file, and above my other download managers, I added

DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamWorkshopDownload

Is there something I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Workshop server files are in KFGame/Cache/ folder (then you will see subfolders named after the workshop item ID)

For Workshop maps, copy the map file name from this cache folder, to add it to the PCServer-KFGame.ini to be able to see the map in the webadmin (see wiki for reference, it is under the workshop part)

I myself had a problem, can someone at TWI have a look at this? http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...07979/412449508287138582/#c412449508292622920

and +1 for the workshop request update check flood in the log. I do not think checking for updates every few seconds is relevant, in my opinion it should check at launch, every hour and/or every map change. But constant update check? why? I imagine if a machine got 20 servers (that is not unbelievable, My own server can handle around 24 KF2 standard servers so sure people got better machines and can do more), you do the maths Number of servers X number of workshop items (assuming they all have same amount of items) X number of workshop requests per hour = maybe getting blacklisted for DOS :D by Steam... just a guess but not impossible, I never tried to flood a steam server with requests (and also it may increase a little CPU and network usage for nothing).

And by the way, thank you for having a proper workshop integration to server, that was not done right on RO2, now on KF2 it is well done ;) (maybe still a bug exists, if you can check the link above)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ye I know it's supposed to be in cache. The problem is the folder is there, but there's no map. If I search the entire server folder for the map, I get no results as well. The server seems to think that it is there (item state is 4, which I believe means it is up to date) but it isn't actually up to date (obviously since it's not even there at all.

My friend is also getting the same issue on their server.

Upvote 0
There is a problem with Dedicated servers not being able to recognize when a workshop item has been updated.

I just tried setting up a dedicated server on my pc, subscribed to my workshop item, then updated my workshop item, and then observed how the dedicated server still (it never updated even after a few hours) had the old workshop item in :

X:\steamcmd\kf2server\KFGame\Cache

I had to delete the following folders for it to finally grab the updated workshop item:

X:\steamcmd\kf2server\Binaries\Win64\depotcache
X:\steamcmd\kf2server\Binaries\Win64\steamapps

This is a less than ideal solution.

A friend is also having this issue on his Dedicated server, but he can't fix it because his hosting company doesn't let him access the server's Binaries folder.

Upvote 0
There is a problem with Dedicated servers not being able to recognize when a workshop item has been updated.

I just tried setting up a dedicated server on my pc, subscribed to my workshop item, then updated my workshop item, and then observed how the dedicated server still (it never updated even after a few hours) had the old workshop item in :

I had to delete the following folders for it to finally grab the updated workshop item:

A friend is also having this issue on his Dedicated server, but he can't fix it because his hosting company doesn't let him access the server's Binaries folder.

I'm facing the same problem (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=116861)

Upvote 0

I had this too. Luckily the people providing the server were nice enough to remove those folders for me even though they didn't give me access to the binaries directory.
After that the map that was giving me headache downloaded fine.

Upvote 0
If you are heaving an issue where a specific custom map (or all) won't automatically update any-more, then the following steps will resolve this:
  1. Stop your KF2 server

2. Go to <server-root>\ROGame\Cache and delete the folder that has the same number as the steamworkshop-id of the problematic map.

3. Go to <server-root>\Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content\232090 and delete the folder that has the same number as the steamworkshop-id of the problematic map.

PS: All these steps are at own risk

4. Go to <server-root>\Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop, make a backup of appworkshop_232090.acf and open the original file with a text editor.

5. Lookup section "WorkshopItemsInstalled" and in there lookup a sub-section that has the same number as the steamworkshop-id of the problematic map.
    Remove that complete sub-section.
    Example where we detete steamworklshop item 605547588:

Before:
    Code:
    "AppWorkshop"
    {
    	"AppID"		"232090"
    	"SizeOnDisk"		"2773415625"
    	"NeedsUpdate"		"0"
    	"NeedsDownload"		"0"
    	"TimeLastUpdated"		"1462375963"
    	"TimeLastAppRan"		"0"
    	"WorkshopItemsInstalled"
    	{
    		"605543140"
    		{
    			"manifest"		"5722453342492921992"
    			"size"		"192194943"
    			"timeupdated"		"1453921650"
    		}
    		"605547588"
    		{
    			"manifest"		"2226824273582360114"
    			"size"		"116571664"
    			"timeupdated"		"1457714673"
    		}
    		"605549089"
    		{
    			"manifest"		"951816771044580900"
    			"size"		"37498711"
    			"timeupdated"		"1453409136"
    		}
    After:
    Code:
    "AppWorkshop"
    {
    	"AppID"		"232090"
    	"SizeOnDisk"		"2773415625"
    	"NeedsUpdate"		"0"
    	"NeedsDownload"		"0"
    	"TimeLastUpdated"		"1462375963"
    	"TimeLastAppRan"		"0"
    	"WorkshopItemsInstalled"
    	{
    		"605543140"
    		{
    			"manifest"		"5722453342492921992"
    			"size"		"192194943"
    			"timeupdated"		"1453921650"
    		}
    		"605549089"
    		{
    			"manifest"		"951816771044580900"
    			"size"		"37498711"
    			"timeupdated"		"1453409136"
    		}

6. Lookup section "WorkshopItemDetails" and in there lookup a sub-section that has the same number as the steamworkshop-id of the problematic map.
    Remove that complete sub-section (almost same procedure as in the previous step).

7. Start your KF2 server

If you followed the steps correctly, then your server will start to re-download the maps after it has been started.

Disclaimer:
Execution of the above procedure is at own risk
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: zachjd
Upvote 0