• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Linux server support information

Yeah, that started like the Red Orchestra 2 fakes (linux server we never had in the end, troop transport and the two other additional tanks we had years and years after release added in the game when no maps at all was designed for these vehicles), but they CONFIRMED PUBLICLY that it will come DURING EARLY ACCESS that means virtually until the official release..

Wait and see, but I would never trust them again if they, again, let people trust in things that will never come only to rip them off (or come when the game is on its last years of dev/support, when the community is fading away). I was really upset with many of the decisions they took for RO2, let see if they go on the easy money way (aka FU player, we have your money now), or if they will do what they said, and more (what for now I will trust in)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a question.
Why on windows Sever ? the most Games server run on linux (Debian or other distro)

this a very good question, because on KF1 we have windows and linux server since beginning of the game

either it's a licensing issue with Epic Games, or either they don't want to Linux because they don't know about linux, so it appeal to a person or company that can create or update binaries, but that's just my opinion

I am prepared to wait however long it takes to get the linux server

BUT if we do not have the linux servers during or at the end of the early access, here is what I would do for my game KF2 and what I advice for everyone:

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-now-lets-you-delete-games-from-your-library/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well guys, thought I would chime in since topic became more active lately.

1) Just hide the game and don't play it. The only thing matters is the player count.
2) Just check Steam Charts or any other Steam info site, player count is terribly low. It is miniscule in average, and only goes up a tiny bit after updates. Then it nosedives again.
3) I have a few Windows boxes, I host several servers. No one plays on them because there are no people playing to start with.

Tl;dr: If you wanted to host for people, then this does not matter anymore. Player count is lower than in Hardline. And if you want to host one for your own team, or guys, just run a dedicated server from your own box. Hell you can zip up the files, share it among your people and you can take turns or whatever.

Upvote 0
I see that TWI is having a KF2 free for the weekend deal this coming weekend. In the server admin digest they're concerned that they only have about half the number of servers needed to handle the extra load this weekend.

While I would more than LOVE to setup about 10 - 15 KF2 servers permanently. Running WINE on my Linux box to get the job done just isn't in the books. Really wish I could help, but it's hard to do something when your hands are tied.

Upvote 0
The lack of a linux build might have a lot to do with the apparent lack of decently performing lag-free servers in the browser at the moment (at least where I live). What we do have is plenty of overloaded windows OVH boxes sometimes creating pretty mediocre in-game experiences for players, which is hardly good for the game's image...

If you guys can find the time to release a decent linux build a bit sooner the effort WILL pay off - experienced admins and GSPs can start deploying some properly optimised server clusters :D

For KF1 if you want to dig deep in the fight against lag on Linux, you can run a specifically optimised low-latency kernel with strict hardware resource allocation for each server process, careful scheduling, UE-specific networking and NIC tweaks, custom QoS/iptables, process forking, copy-on-write cached I/O and more.

For KF2 apparently you write a windows batch script to launch 20 instances of the server process and see what happens :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@rallfo:
I have a few dedicated boxes. About 40ms ping away.
At first I hosted a server with Linux. I virtualized a Windows with KVM, and we lagged. The server had plenty of power, it ran only one server.

Then I installed a Windows directly on a box.
One KF2 server, nothing else. CPU usage few %, we still lag.

My theory: unless you host the server in your own country, and have a very low ping, people will always experience lag spikes. The experiment used OVH boxes too, but as I said, just for the sake of testing, they had nothing else running but a single server, then serve out the 6 players.

Or maybe the server code needs some fixing.
Dunno.

Upvote 0