• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

cosmetics and crafting.

MaSh_MaN94

Mar 28, 2017
I don't like the whole cosmetic and crafting system in this game. Its so stingy! One crate or item drop a day, seriously!? and then on top of that if you get a crate you have to pay to get a key to open it. Crafting requires 10! Materials of certain rarity to craft anything, and when you eventually get round to crafting something you get the same common hat or skin every damn time. Why? I don't get how this was a good idea.

Isn't trying to get that rare drop or outfit or skin you want part of the fun? a carrot on a stick sort of thing? finishing a 10 wave hell on earth difficulty map with no sort of reward at the end kinda sucks. Why not a loot system that gives a outfit,skin or something of various raritys at the end of a map? Higher drop chance for something rare depending on the difficulty you play on? Don't know about other folks but it will certainly keep me playing alot longer than I currently am.

​​​

Reactions: RikimaruLDR
MaSh_MaN94;n2290665 said:
I don't like the whole cosmetic and crafting system in this game. Its so stingy! One crate or item drop a day, seriously!? and then on top of that if you get a crate you have to pay to get a key to open it. Crafting requires 10! Materials of certain rarity to craft anything, and when you eventually get round to crafting something you get the same common hat or skin every damn time. Why? I don't get how this was a good idea.

Isn't trying to get that rare drop or outfit or skin you want part of the fun? a carrot on a stick sort of thing? finishing a 10 wave hell on earth difficulty map with no sort of reward at the end kinda sucks. Why not a loot system that gives a outfit,skin or something of various raritys at the end of a map? Higher drop chance for something rare depending on the difficulty you play on? Don't know about other folks but it will certainly keep me playing alot longer than I currently am.
​​​
I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of people that are complaining about this drop system when it's been in games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive for a long time now. I'm not much of a console gamer, though I do own both the Xbone and PS4, so I'm not sure how common stuff like this is on console, whether there's a community marketplace, etc. but you can look at something like Overwatch's loot system as a small example. Sometimes your crates will have items you've already gotten and you get some measly gold, sometimes you get an amazing rare skin, and sometimes you get that spray that you've always hated.

Much like gambling, the house is supposed to win.

You're not supposed to get wild drops all the time, you're not supposed to constantly see drops, etc. It's very close to gambling whether it be gaming or the lottery. You're not going to win five times in a row, and sometimes you're going to need to put money towards it, considering these items have a monetary value associated with them on Steam. I'm not sure how the items work on console, as I don't believe there is a community marketplace, but on PC, they can be sold for $0.01 - several hundred dollars. Whether you won a 10 round Hell on Earth map in Killing Floor 2 or a close, white knuckled, 16-14 competitive match of Counter-Strike, you may or may not get a drop, and if you do, it may be complete crap... That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Why is it a good idea? Well for one, it keeps money coming into the developers. You pay for the chance to get a really cool item, though that may not always be the outcome. This allows for the company to have a small flow of income to allow for continual development of the project. Beyond that, it's nice for the user. Aside from my original KF2 purchase during early access, I haven't thrown any other money at them. That being said, through all my drops, I could technically make ~$10 worth of Steam cash by selling all my KF2 items on the marketplace. Hell, I made ~$200 on a knife that I unboxed a couple years back in Counter-Strike. Right now, I have about ~$90 worth of CS:GO items in my inventory, and I haven't opened a case in like, two years.

Personally, as long as the items are strictly cosmetic, I don't see an issue with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tussell;n2290791 said:
I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of people that are complaining about this drop system when it's been in games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive for a long time now. I'm not much of a console gamer, though I do own both the Xbone and PS4, so I'm not sure how common stuff like this is on console, whether there's a community marketplace, etc.

Other games doing it doesn't make it right. It's not common at all on console at all and it doesn't have a marketplace implemented into the PS4 version.

I do play KF2 on console and it boils down to me being guaranteed an item at the same time everyday, regardless of what difficulty or map I choose.
10 days = 10 items I may or may not like, or may or may not have already, or cases.
That means if I had an unlucky 10 days and assuming they are all the same rarity, which is rare in itself, I can recycle them all for the same group of parts and craft a rarer item.

So...IF I get nothing useful. And IF I got 10 of the same rarity of item. I can craft 1 rarer item that, again, I may or may not like, or may or may not have already.

Whereas PC can go to a marketplace and shop till they drop. wth.

Tussell;n2290791 said:
Personally, as long as the items are strictly cosmetic, I don't see an issue with it.

But it's the only unlockables in the game. Beyond class progression, there isn't much else that we can do to feel like we where rewarded playing through the match to the end.

MaSh_MaN94;n2290665 said:
Don't know about other folks but it will certainly keep me playing alot longer than I currently am.​​​

Same here!

Reactions: MaSh_MaN94
Upvote 0
Tussell;n2290791 said:
I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of people that are complaining about this drop system when it's been in games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive for a long time now.

That doesnt mean the system isnt flawed, though.

As it stands, this whole drop system is just useless for the regular player. I wouldnt know difference if it was removed entirely. Everything drops so rarely and crafting something takes so much resources theres not much point doing it. Ive had the game since it came out on early access and Ive only ever crafted ONE item hah. And the keys for the boxes that drop cost a fortune for something thats pretty much random item. Id expect a game you have to pay for to reward these items a bit more often than that, and even reward keys for them, after all this is just a secondary way of in-come for them.

But then again, its more or less the same with any game out there that has in-game purchases of some sort, especially with any so called "free-to-play" games where youd have to spend hundreds if not thousands of euros if you want to get all the content the game has to offer. Often thats mostly cosmetic items sure, but for some poeple (like me) I would like to have some variety in my game with skins but often they end up costing more than a FULL GAME so leaves me wondering who actually buys these. Also I wonder if its actually more profitable to sell these items at such a high price rather than lowering the prices so more people would buy them?

Last edited:
Reactions: MaSh_MaN94
Upvote 0
Just because other games do it doesnt mean its a great system though. If this was a free to play game i could understand,but it isnt. The game is so stingy with the cosmetic stuff whats the point in having it in the game in the first place? Im not saying just give me everything now, i just want something to chase! and a drop system like i mentioned in my original post would be great! keep the crates in there for income or even make them purchasable from the psn store. Id happily drop a few quid now and again for crates and skins on the psn store.

Upvote 0