• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Changing Gun Sounds question.

All the sounds for a gun are stored on two files (the pair make one "gun"), all of these gun sound files are on the main "audio" folder ad can be easily found.

The bnk file is the actual pack with the gun sounds, but it is a binary package so you can't read it with your plain eyes. The second file in a pair is a txt file that has a lot of data about the contents of the first.

You can hex edit (hard-ish), or rebuild the files (hard to start, but once you do it once you can edit easily in the future). If you find my guide here or at steam/youtube/etc on KF2 audio modding I explain how to do that for the bgm, for the guns you do the same just grab the weapon files instead.

Also if you find my youtube, check the last gameplay video , if you like the gun sounds there then your problem is just the relative volume of the guns compared to the rest of sounds in the game (aka the gunshots are too low I want them to pop my ears), for that you only need to edit the Init bank, which is a global file with global audio config (ie the volume of the gunshot audio channel, the volume of music channel, etc, these are called buses).

The issue if its is only about volume, is that the devs were very "kind" to keep the global volumes within a low range so they do the least damage to your hearing. Because having loud stuff can do long term damage to your hearing. Since the global volume stays away from peaks then the sounds that suffer most are the loudest ones -> gunshots.

Upvote 0
Gia;n2108593 said:
All the sounds for a gun are stored on two files (the pair make one "gun"), all of these gun sound files are on the main "audio" folder ad can be easily found.

The bnk file is the actual pack with the gun sounds, but it is a binary package so you can't read it with your plain eyes. The second file in a pair is a txt file that has a lot of data about the contents of the first.

You can hex edit (hard-ish), or rebuild the files (hard to start, but once you do it once you can edit easily in the future). If you find my guide here or at steam/youtube/etc on KF2 audio modding I explain how to do that for the bgm, for the guns you do the same just grab the weapon files instead.

Also if you find my youtube, check the last gameplay video , if you like the gun sounds there then your problem is just the relative volume of the guns compared to the rest of sounds in the game (aka the gunshots are too low I want them to pop my ears), for that you only need to edit the Init bank, which is a global file with global audio config (ie the volume of the gunshot audio channel, the volume of music channel, etc, these are called buses).

The issue if its is only about volume, is that the devs were very "kind" to keep the global volumes within a low range so they do the least damage to your hearing. Because having loud stuff can do long term damage to your hearing. Since the global volume stays away from peaks then the sounds that suffer most are the loudest ones -> gunshots.

Anyone can help me locate that file? have never seen it and would be a great help, thanks.

Upvote 0
I think those files are in the following directory :

<kf2 dir>\KFGame\BrewedPC\Packages\Audio\SFX

They are in the unreal engine packed format *.upk so you will need an software to open and manipulate it.
The Unreal editor 3 probably will work but I didnt test it because I dont like much this tool.
If you find another tool and/or manage to make this changes let us know ok ?

Upvote 0
i'm don't have much knowledge about this, i was able to unpack upk with bnkextr, but using that method would imply manipulating audio 1 by 1, which is fine but not what i wan't to do at the moment, also at least for now i don't know how to import the sounds.

What i wanted to do was locate that global audio config Gia mentioned it.

Upvote 0
random;n2276317 said:
i'm don't have much knowledge about this, i was able to unpack upk with bnkextr, but using that method would imply manipulating audio 1 by 1, which is fine but not what i wan't to do at the moment, also at least for now i don't know how to import the sounds.

What i wanted to do was locate that global audio config Gia mentioned it.
afaik the process is similar to editing soundtrack files. Like Gia said before, look for the music guide in steam, it should start you off. Though im not sure if it still works as this was nearly a year ago.

Upvote 0
Paultron;n2276872 said:
You're not going to be able to edit the games master int.bnk. You're better able to control volume on a custom sound file using the switch groups, game parameters and attenuations functionalities in the Wwise authoring tool.

You are able to, if you can load a hexeditor and know what you are doing, I put a guide on youtube long ago with basics

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2289504 said:
Pretty sure everyone in this forum came from KF1, so your reasoning for that is redundant. Given the pace of KF2, it's better to know when the biggest enemies will show up.

Well here is the thing, I dont want to hear those loud screeching of the FPs and SCs like they got probed. I would rather want to hear my guns more and have better gun sounds.

Upvote 0