• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Environment affecting pawn movement speed and health (idea/thoughts)

Dragontear

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2015
Ol'Blighty.
Hello world!

Wondering how to make the environment have a more mechanical effect on players/zeds, in addition to visual/spatial such as well-lit/darkness areas, dense/weak fog, open area/tight confines.

There now appears to be a 'damage modifier' volume of sorts, from what I see, any pawn inside the volume takes more or less damage based upon the volume's setting, so from a tactical standpoint, thinking of using that in areas like shallow rivers, poisonous bodies of water and such, to dissuade people from being there, similar to how Dawn of War would use 'exposed ground' as a disadvantage, i.e slightly more damage received. Using the same volume in areas of heavy concealment and cover like dense foliage, to allow zeds to move through and receive slightly less damage.

As for pawn movement speed, would like to make the environment also have more consequence; Wading through water, pushing through dense foliage slow down character speed.

I have looked through the 'physics' volume, friction, max velocity, but so far nothing that can reduce movement speed, if anybody knows how to affect such a thing, I'd love to know, thank you.

Last edited:
I had a look around in the SDK earlier to see if it was possible - I dont think it is in KF2.

I would've suggested using FluidFriction in the PhysicsVolume, but TWI have disabled bWaterVolume so its not possible. The only other option would be a custom PhysicVolume, KismetNode or even DamageType to be used within the PhysicsVolume - but doing so would blacklist/unrank a map.

I dont think it is possible - but if someone knows a way, I'd also love to know.

Upvote 0
Your are looking for the Dynamic Physic Volumes or just regular Physic Volumes. You can damage and change a number of factors that affect zed movement. It is also possible in volumes to force pawns to be pushed into a certain direction and etc...

This isn't a udk video but the same should apply to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiDr_OLVXyU

Upvote 0
Delta69er Aye hello there, fluid-friction is not working as you say, which is a pretty big shame; I think might be a relatively simple thing to allow - no jumping and greater friction on movement done together without actual fluid physics. Although saying that, the lack of any water-based physics, even for purely shallow/ankle-deep or background-area waters, is also a shame. I can understand the lack of water/water-based physics in playable areas as it would entail the requirement of water-movement for players and swimming for zeds and the capacity of issues for that.

LiquidArrow Hello there, and thank you. I have already checked dynamic and normal physics, nothing seems to work so far, and currently trying to look at the physics-materials settings themselves, but while on holiday, the map-editor on my laptop isn't reliable. >< Using this as reference; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEyqewn409E

Upvote 0