• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Custom skeletal mesh's MIC not displaying in game

Rabidbutton

Aug 7, 2017
Hi, I've created a custom skeletal mesh with corresponding textures that are used in an MIC which I've assigned to the mesh itself.

The MIC appears correctly in the editor test however when I load up the map in KF2 it only shows the blue and white checkered missing texture pattern on the model unless it's assigned to a static mesh instead like other areas of the map which are displaying just fine, from what I've gathered it's looking like a skeletal mesh problem and not a packaging one.

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and or knows of a solution?

Thanks!

Last edited:
First off thanks for your reply, I have tried using an InterpActor before although they seem to only be compatible with static meshes if I'm not mistaking? The reason why I'd like to use skeletal is so that it can be animated. At this point I'm just using static until I find out what the go is so it's not the end of the world :)

When you are using a skeletal mesh does the material disappear in game as well?

Upvote 0
Ah you actually plan on using it as an animated mesh. I was under the impression you may be using a skeletal mesh from the game.

Well, its probably an issue with the material itself. Are you making a MIC from a previous material or creating a new material from scratch?

It doesn't really matter in the end because youll need to make sure that the Base/Parent Material has 'Used with SkeletalMesh' enabled in the 'Usage' area of the Parent Material Properties. If you can try and inherit from a PM that does that'll be the easiest option. If you need to create a PM you'll probably need to bake the material as well.

Upvote 0
Perfect! That was the missing ingredient, I'm making the MICs from existing parent materials with my own home made textures. Only issue now is finding a fitting parent material, the one I'm using now's ok "Material'Env_Mat_Lib_Two.Collectible.Env_Collectible_PM'" because it supports emission but it's lacking masks for the non glowing areas.

Can you create and use your own parent materials now? Last I checked it wasn't supported so I haven't done much digging.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can make PM, they are supported just not documented, and theyre a little tricky to get working buts very possible. To do so, just follow these steps:
1. Make sure the Map file is in the 'C:\Users\User\Documents\my games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Unpublished\BrewedPC' directory. You should see another file called something like 'LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM5.upk' present in this folder. This file is whats key to getting custom PM in games.
2. After you Build and Save your map in the SDK - you should see a small icon with orange fire called 'Publish the map by Cooking'. Press it and let the process finish. It will most likely tell you there was a yellow error compiling your PM. Ignore it.
3. Press Cook again and this time it will include the LocalShaderCache in the map - but not in the Unpublished folder.
4. The compiled map will be in the Published\BrewedPC directory instead. This is the file you can chuck in the maps directory and play with custom materials.
5. Additionally before playtesting it is recommended to delete the shadercache in both the Unpublished and Published directory - the game will use these instead of the one provided in the map - they will be created again when you launch the map in the SDK the next time so dont worry. I would also remove the map from the published folder to make sure it isn't the map showing up in the map list in game.

You can also include the shadercache into map if you use the workshop upload tool and push the map to the workshop. But the tool is broken atm and TWI are taking their sweet time fixing it.

Upvote 0