• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Help] Zeds vanishing when hosting custom map on private dedicate server

Pt.Jones

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2015
Italy
steamcommunity.com
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help me on out on finding a solution to fix this unusual glitch that's happening every time I host my map KF-N64Facility.

I'm not sure what could be causing this glitch but when hosting the map on a dedicated server, if the player where to cross halfway the map, and enter large open space area such as the large cold area and the final section of the map (see link below). The newly spawned zeds tend to vanish far away and re-appear right in front of the player's face. Shooting at their last seen location doesn't appear to even affect them, bullets just passes through. Oddly enough when playing the map solo offline, the glitch doesn't occur.

At first, I found this quite amusing since the player for example couldn't see an incoming projectile from a husk. However, upon investigating and creating numerous test scenarios (more than 100) I am struggling to find a solution.
So far, I can confirm the following:
  • The glitch has nothing to do with the custom textures
  • The glitch has nothing to do with the destructible objects
  • The glitch has nothing to do with zed pathing or spawn points (Re-worked numerous times)
  • The glitch has nothing to do with lighting
  • The glitch has nothing to do with Traders
  • The glitch has nothing to do with Emitters
  • The glitch has nothing to do with Collectables
  • The glitch has nothing to do with Ak audio or custom ambient sounds
  • The glitch has nothing to do with blockings volumes
  • The glitch has nothing to do with dialogue volumes
  • The glitch has nothing to do with trigger volumes
  • Adding precompute volumes doesn't change anything

Despite all my unsuccessful attempts I did find an alternative solution, which is to delete the final large section and the large cold room. I absolutely have no idea why this works, and I even tried dissecting each room bit by bit in order to find a solution. At first i thought that perhaps my map is a bit too large, but I remember playing several large custom maps online without a single problem.

Therefore, if anyone has an idea or faced a similar scenario please let me know as I am quite in a desperate situation. Perhaps this glitch is related somehow on how KF2 handles zed teleporting on servers?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: