• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Help!] Updating maps in the Workshop - The definitive how-to?

Seanchaoz

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2016
Denmarkia
www.synchaoz.com
Hey folks.

So I've had some issues with my Dystopia map causing Version Mismatch errors on certain servers after updating it. Not on all servers apparently - it works fine on my own private server where people can connect and play just fine. But for some people it isn't working, despite numerous attempts at fixing and re-uploading.

That got me thinking that I am actually a little unsure on what the definitively correct way is to update and already published map, step by step. Anyone care to elaborate?

The way I've been doing it so far is this:

1. Fully build the map in the SDK (without cooking)
2. Move the saved mapfile into my C:\Users\Sean\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Unpublished\BrewedPC\ folder
3. Delete any LocalShaderCache or .upk files in said folder, if any, ensuring that the folder contains only the .kfm map file
4. Launch the Upload Tool OR use the command line to upload the map, making sure the map name is the same as on the workshop

So far this has worked seemingly fine for me but these recent issues has made me question if perhaps there are some vital steps missing. Also I've noticed that when updating maps of larger file sizes (150+ MB) using the command line tool, the map sometimes doesn't update on the workshop, as though it didn't upload correctly or at all. Just me?

Hello Seanchaoz, I do not know yet, or at least nobody has told me anything about that problem, at first if they had similar problems, but it was my fault for changing the name to the map, the part that said the version.

I what I've always done is

1 Compile the map and then click Save All.

2 I cook the map.

3 Enter the directory "my games \ KillingFloor2 \ KFGame \ Published \ BrewedPC" and delete all content except the map.

4 I open the console and enter into this directory "Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ killingfloor2 \ Binaries".

5 Once inside to start it in the command console I write "WorkshopUserTool.exe Name_map.txt"

Nombre_map contains the information of the things that have to go to the workshop.

When it finishes uploading the map if I have noticed that sometime in my steam client it takes to update and on the server even more.

I hope it serves you for something.

regards

Upvote 0
manolito;n2295714 said:
Hello Seanchaoz, I do not know yet, or at least nobody has told me anything about that problem, at first if they had similar problems, but it was my fault for changing the name to the map, the part that said the version.

I what I've always done is

1 Compile the map and then click Save All.

2 I cook the map.

3 Enter the directory "my games \ KillingFloor2 \ KFGame \ Published \ BrewedPC" and delete all content except the map.

4 I open the console and enter into this directory "Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ killingfloor2 \ Binaries".

5 Once inside to start it in the command console I write "WorkshopUserTool.exe Name_map.txt"

Nombre_map contains the information of the things that have to go to the workshop.

When it finishes uploading the map if I have noticed that sometime in my steam client it takes to update and on the server even more.

I hope it serves you for something.

regards

3: You don't need to delete anything. Just cook the map. Be sure the cooked map is in published and uncooked in unpublished. After uploading it on workshop you need to unsub and sub again the map and so does the server. If it doesn't work. Unsub. Clear cache and sub again.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the sub and unsub for the client part it works, but the server has sometimes taken longer, referring to the delete in the public folder is because after cooking the map inside appears the cooked map, "LocalShaderCache" and some Once a folder of packages, if I leave, when uploading the map with the console also upload all the files, that's why I delete them and then upload them.

Upvote 0