• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Landscape missing material in game?

mikkou

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2014
Yet another problem with the damn landscapes. Everythings working fine in the editor, and Im not using any custom materials for the landscape, but when I go in game everything has changed into the default blue/white squares.

Please tell me this is something I can fix because my map is basically 80% done and didnt expect this to happen.

Hi, if it's the same thing that happened to me, I have a solution, but it's laborious and I can not assure you that it will not be repeated, I reconstructed it 3 times, I almost throw the map in the trash, what I did:

1 The squares that are wrong you erase them, you have no land in those areas.

2 copies the square closest to the disaster that is fine and you hit it in the area without land that you deleted, then apply a landscape texture that already exists in the game, I put the black forest, is the most layers of Material had.

3 This is the longest step:

To check that everything works, before doing more work for nothing, in your published and unpublished folders in the directory of my short games all the content and you save it in a folder on your desktop so that it remains the directory structure but Empty, well, at this point copy the map KF-nomemapa.kfm and paste it in the folder Steam \ steamapps \ common \ killingfloor2 \ KFGame \ BrewedPC \ Maps \ SDK, rename it by removing only "KF-" leaving "nomemapa.kfm "With this done you start the game, open the console and type" open nombremapa.kfm "will open the map and you can go to the problem areas to see if they have fixed, if they exit well and this, doing this the map does not have the Local textures reason why in the editor it looks good and in the game does not

I recommend that you make shortcuts on your desktop of all the folders involved, you will save a lot of time when going from one to another.

Assuming that the land is already well, you already have much advanced, the following would be to give the appropriate form, mountains, valleys, hills, ravines ....

Every time you do something you have to make a copy and save it, so you do not have to repeat everything when something fails again, before or after it happens to you, I have many copies of the map because of this problem.

Now it is the textures, you will surely want to change them, there is a limit I do not remember if 4 or 5, I have not been able to add more, the black forest is the one that has more or had when I did it, to change them you will have to edit them And modify them, then with the terrain tool and you can put them on the map and with luck until they work, if you decide to change them you have to edit two different things "Landscape Material Base" where you can change effects and the texture itself and Lanscape Material Instance, Once you have them to your liking store them in your Map as materials of the same and compiles everything, when you finish directly it

You give it to save everything, if I do not do it so I do not keep it and all the work is for nothing, it cost me a lot of time to find the way to save it, I do not know if it's my problem or it's all, I say how I worked for me, let's think that if you have saved it, the next step is the terrain tool, you have to open it and edit it on the materials to put the ones you have made, do a small test on a problematic site, Do the whole process of compiling and cooking and then load it on the console as I have explained, if it works out well, it is only painting little by little, check and save.

When you load the map to check the load of the published folder, it will be the one that ends in the workshop.

I think that's all, a lot of work and patience.

Luck

I feel how heavy it is but I do not know any other way, sorry if something is not understood well, I do not know English and it is translated with google

regards

Upvote 0
I think its not the same problem, because I dont have ANY material at all, ANYWHERE. So I cant copy paste working parts to fix it.

I think its because I copied landscape from Farmhouse and edited that (being a landscape noob that I am). Since then I have tried
1. Removing all layers and adding them back, also making sure Im using all of them in the map (because that seemed to work on a completely new landscape).
2. Using completely different landscape material, one from black forest instead of the farmhouse one, using the same layers from black forest.
3. Creating new landscape and using gizmo to copy the heightmap info, but the farmhouse landscape seems to be oddly sized or something. Says its 127*127 but apparently isnt because the gizmo info scales differently on the new landscape (or Im using it wrong).
4. Copying heightmap info from my landscape and creating a new landscape using that info, readding all layer materials.

None of these worked.

EDIT: Actually I tried the 4th one again and now it worked except that the landscape is wrong size.

EDIT EDIT: Noticed the farmhouse landscape was scaled under Display, now the material is at least partially working... so I guess now for the manolito solution? God damn it what a pain in the butt this is.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Im not sure whats going on but I just painted the materials on the map a few times and on my third try everything was working fine (and in beetween I also removed the 5th "water" material from the map). Now Im scared to do anything else and see it break again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, to get the solution you have only to do a lot of tests and error until you get the solution, I'll explain what I did so that you save a lot of days, even months that I get to solve it, there are many terms And definitions that I have never finished understanding well for my language stick so I just go try to get it fixed, there are many who do authentic wonders with the terrain and materials and sure there is a more professional way to do it and with Best result.

I tell you what I did and it worked, in case some of this saves you time.

1- Since I had never done any of this, I did not know where to begin, so to have a ground to tread and not fall to infinity for all eternity, what I did was to open the map of the black forest, select only the ground , I gave him to copy, as I did not complain, I opened my map and gave him to paste, miraculously appeared a huge piece of land, by passing the mouse over with the tool open field and playing with the section select copy and cut I saw that I could delete some sections and reduce the terrain a bit, I started to cut like crazy, I passed and at the time I realized that I was missing a piece, it was when I managed to find out how to copy a section and paste it, but it always came out In black the piece added, so pull the ground and start again.

With this I want to tell you that if you can not select the terrain by sections and delete what is wrong, make a copy of what you have to work with it, save what you have, delete your current terrain, copy the black forest and adjust it To your needs of size and shape.

2- Once everything was adjusted, with all the materials by default, I had the happy idea to change the texture of the terrain, wanted to put sand in an area, being a beach was not well the forest floor and was when all the pain started Head, at the beginning in the editor everything had a very good aspect, to dissimulate the drawing that makes the material if it is seen from a distance, but of course that in the editor, compile it load in the game and also looked perfect, so I decided to upload it as a beta, mount a server on my pc and try it with friends, I almost had a heart attack, the floor had more blue and white checkered areas than areas with textures.

This happens because in your published and unpublished folders you save the textures you do locally and whether or not they work, your map loaded on your computer will look good, which is why I explained earlier how to do it to be sure That what you see in local will be what you see on a server.

After this and after spending a lot of time, searching and asking, in a thread of this forum, talking with Domingo, we were told that at the moment the land did not admit personalized materials, but the best thing was that my materials existed in the sdk And had those problems, the Sunday map is completely personalized "let's die of something" after all the work.

I only with my more limited knowledge could do is to change the textures that have that default terrain for something that would give more realism to my map.

In the previous answer I put what you have to find and edit if you want to change some texture and paint the floor a little different as it is by default, it is a bit lousy to clarify when you edit but if you want to look at my map what I did And compare with the original, so you can see faster than modify.

3- Finally after all this royo, which I hope will serve for you or someone who passes this and do not know where to start, is left to select the piece that gives problems, delete it, the section closest to this Well the copies and the paste where you deleted in it is bad, you will have a nice black rectangle, so you only need to paint it so that it is in line with the rest, in the field tool, you have to load your material, if Create it and then edit it and put the textures, RockMax, in another thread has put you like loading your textures.

Upvote 0
You need to create a MIC and use the parent material same as on BlackForest map. In your MIC you have to define all 4 materials, otherwise you get the checker. And last, I don't remember if this is necessary or not but: you have to paint each of 4 materials somewhere on your landscape(it may be a tiny dot nobody will ever see).

This is how I fixed my KF-IceAreana and there's a bunch of maps in workshop using landscape, like the Mars map and others. Use them as examples

Upvote 0