• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Light Build causes crash

KillMaster

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
*DISCLAIMER* If I sound a little irritated that would be because I am (At least at the time of writing this)

First off a little context; before the "Return of the Patriarch" update everything was running smoothly, then after reinstalling my OS and a couple month hiatus I come back and find that things are now broken.

The problem I am currently facing is that every time I attempt to build my lighting I get a bug splat message, however the extent of this "malfunction" can range anywhere from getting a bug splat message but retaining the ability to use the SDK all the way to the program completely exiting and leaving me with 2 - 4 bug splat windows.

At first I thought that *Maybe* my shadow resolution was set too high (2048x2048) so I restarted the SDK and tried again this time with the default 32x32... same result. (Nothing else in between worked either)

If you would like details on what I was doing then watch This Video

And you know what really irritates me the most about this is the fact that I am not new to Unreal Engine 3, and prior to using the KF2 SDK have never had this MANY problems.

So here I am completely at a loss.

So I really love Killing Floor 2 as a game, but from a technical stand point it makes me want to throw something.
First: there's the fact that UE3's original "Lightmass" ray-tracer is gone and replaced with either a completely custom one or an extremely stripped down version of the original. I can not for the life of me think of any reason for this.

Second: Where the F@#K did the Swarm Agent go?! I have four monstrously powerful rigs in my house and the fact that I can

Last edited:
seems to have something to do with the lighting channels,

select all static meshes, tick override auto lighting channels in properties, then tick both indoor and outdoor channels

doing this lets me build lighting, but probably has some other issues that i haven't discovered yet, seems ok for now though

Upvote 0
Sorry for necroposting but the problem still persists, adding additive bsp brush on the level crashes SDK during light rebuilds. How am i supposed to prototype level without bsps? Building from modular meshes just to see if it works takes too much time. Any way to avoid bsp light rebuild crash?

Upvote 0
Just make sure that every mesh, light and whatever you can change is on the same light channel.

pixel;n2301622 said:
Sorry for necroposting but the problem still persists, adding additive bsp brush on the level crashes SDK during light rebuilds. How am i supposed to prototype level without bsps? Building from modular meshes just to see if it works takes too much time. Any way to avoid bsp light rebuild crash?

Disable building light on bsps and it should work

Last edited:
Upvote 0