• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design I need help with the lighting and the errors of my map.

DAEDRICK

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Hello guys,

I have been working for quite some time on my map and I have questions about the lighting volumes and how to fix the some errors. So if anyone is kind enough to add me on skype or on steam to land me a hand it would greatly be apreciated. I am online every week days, from 10am to 16pm, east coast time.

Skype is: Knight.Lautrec
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972731736/

Thank you very much!

PS: You will be mentionned in the credits/description!

Well, I want to have a discussion, I have many questions to ask. I want to learn from someone with more knownledge than me and at the same time learn a trick or two. Whats awesome with skype is that I can show you my screen. So yeah, in other words if anyone is up for it add me with the information provided above.

Spoiler!

Here there are though. So in short:

1. how to deactivate collision on that non-uniform scalled bridge?
  2. What is canbecomedynamic actor has blockactors enable and how to fix it?
  3. Precomputed thingy is not done yet, so you can ignore that.
  4. Check if mesh has lightmap UVS? What? Thats an official asset so I dont know why its doing that.
  5. No sure what the traderpod problem is, but I wouldnt be surprised it will be fixed when I add the dominant directionnal light/skylight/volume
  6. Lighting volume, how do I make a complex form? I have a cathedral which is basically a giant cross, how do I make a indoor lighting volume off one piece? Thats what they did on their map at least. The volume follow the roads in paris, same in evacuation checkpoint.
  7. How can I place decals on my walls? Like tags and posters?
Thats all on top of my head! :p

Thank you! (You are still welcome to add me! ;))

Upvote 0
1. Under the Static Mesh Actor, find Collision -> Collision Component and select which type you want in the drop down menu.

2. It means you have an item in your map that can become dynamic (it moves around when you shoot it or bump into it, like chairs, computer monitors, candle sticks, pool balls, etc.) but is set to block actors, which means they will prevent the player from moving when you touch it, which is not a good thing.

So either remove the "block actors" settings: Static Mesh Actor -> Static Mesh Component -> Collision

Or alternatively remove the dynamic feature by ticking the "Never Become Dynamic" and untick the "Notify Rigid Body Collision" in Static Mesh Actor -> Static Mesh Component -> Physics , in which case the item will never move when shot/touched.

5. You need to enable the light environment on it. Go to Skeletal Mesh Actor -> Light Environment -> Light Environment Component and tick the "Enabled" box

6. The way I do it is either manually make it using the brush mode, or right click on a mesh and select "Create Blocking Volume" and then choose how precise I want the box to be and the editor will do it for me. Then I right click the newly created blocking volume and select "Transform -> Polygons to brush", which shapes my brush to the exact same form as the blocking volume I just made. Now I delete the blocking volume, click my brush, right click the "Add Volume" icon on the left tool bar and select whichever volume I need (TWIndoorVolume) in your case.

7. These are actually just meshes with a translucent texture applied to them. You can find the meshes in the "ENV_Signage -> ENV_Signage_MESH" package. They are the blue/grey squares with no collision on them. Place them where you want and slap your decal texture on :)

Upvote 0
Thread is old but worth answering in case anyone lands here from google like I just did :rolleyes:
Just because the asset is official doesn't mean it has shadows UV, projectiles for instance don't, found it were nails (use the binoculars tool and search for the number when the "go to" doesn't work) causing the message in mine, just untick the cast static shadows / preshadows and anything related to shadow baking for them and the message is gone.
Save

Upvote 0