• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics More Bullets vs Faster Reload

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Being someone who used to mainly play support, I always favored faster reload (DBS, m4, aa12, sg500 - all seem better with the reload skill over additional ammo).

I'm starting to play more and more Commando..

This leads me to ask what do most of you find is better? Reload speed increase or more bullets readily available to pump into zeds?

I feel like I can handle anything using a Stoner with 115 bullets (exaggeration, I know) - but can also see the reasons to choose the faster reload.

What's your preference? I'm assuming most are going to go with the reload speed increase. :)

With commando I go with the tactical reload for the reason that it's harder to put down enemies en masse with it's rifles (which means they swarm you fast if you ran out of bullets) than with the support with it's shotguns.
With support I use the extended ammunition skill: since every shot is a heavy hitter, it's easier to clean an area around you before reloading... plus AA12 with 30 shots rocks HARD :p

Upvote 0
Tactical reload always. Once you learn how to make use of the number of shots you have, it's better to be able to have that ability to reload on the spot, especially since zeds will be in your face in a few seconds. The last thing you want is to be caught with an empty gun. Unless you're a demo, where as picking your shots is critical.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2308922 said:
Tactical reload always. Once you learn how to make use of the number of shots you have, it's better to be able to have that ability to reload on the spot, especially since zeds will be in your face in a few seconds. The last thing you want is to be caught with an empty gun. Unless you're a demo, where as picking your shots is critical.

My thing is even with faster reload - if I need to reload a stoner under heavy pressure I'm likely in a bad spot.

More bullets = less reloading in general and I also find it nicer for zed time extensions.

There's not wrong answer IMO, but I like to hear what others prefer. :)

If I'm using the Scar as my primary, I run tac reload typically.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
It' pretty much a preference thing bed on what guns you use. For Commando, I personally never use the Stoner, opting for the scar and the HmTech assult Rifle. The reload animations for both of thee are pretty quick anyways so I normlly go for the larger mag. I could be wrong (I may have been drunk at the time) , but if you take larger mags, I swear you get more ammunition from ammo boxes. It seems to be tied to the size of your mag so you get 30 bullets for the Scar instead of 20. That fact helped tip me over.

Upvote 0
Crukih;n2309041 said:
It' pretty much a preference thing bed on what guns you use. For Commando, I personally never use the Stoner, opting for the scar and the HmTech assult Rifle. The reload animations for both of thee are pretty quick anyways so I normlly go for the larger mag. I could be wrong (I may have been drunk at the time) , but if you take larger mags, I swear you get more ammunition from ammo boxes. It seems to be tied to the size of your mag so you get 30 bullets for the Scar instead of 20. That fact helped tip me over.

This is true. It also applies with the 2nd Extended mag perk (but no one's dropping Hollow Points for that). Meaning that ammo pickups could be giving you up to 50 rounds of Varmint or SCAR shots, or up to 75 L85 and AK12 ammo. It also means up to 188 Stoner bullets.

I see now why people start calling the Commando the LMG class instead of the AR class. The "LMG" potential has always been there; we just have to choose it. But like I said, no one's dropping extra damage and much softer recoil. Maybe with Prestige, we won't have to choose so much. We'll see.

This also applies to classes with extended mag options, like SWAT and Support. Firebug seems to be the exception - ammo boxes don't give full reloads for their non-ballistic weapons, and I've never known why. Probably something that needs correcting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Crukih;n2309041 said:

nope, you're right. you get more ammo from boxes.
Mags also cost more in the shops.

Upvote 0
When playing as commando I go with large mags, then I use bash exploit to cut reload animation. I hope it gets fixed someday, but it would be nice to have some kind of fast reload mechanic instead. Anyway, large mags allow you to defend a spot for more time before reloading or if things go hairy, you can push through more zeds in an attempt to escape. As support it depends on my loadout; mag fed shotguns equals large mags. Tube fed shotguns and I go with fast reload.

Upvote 0
So coming back to this... even though I really grew fond of insane bullet quantities with the Stoner, you're almost always better off going with the faster reload.

There were too many times I got skinned alive trying to frantically reload (even just my bullpup or ar15). So the novelty of more bullets will just be something I play with on lower difficulties for fun.

SUI/HOE I'll stick with reload - also switched my Support back to faster reload as well. That precious second or two will save your life more often than the extra bullets IMO.

Most probably already knew that.. but what can I say? I'm a little slow. :)

Upvote 0
Without fast reloads, some weapons seem to take forever (mostly magazine-fed shotguns). I'm a chronic reloader, practically obsessed with remaining topped-up, so I like to take the M4 and pop heads (one-shotting medium zeds and columns of trash at medium range is an amazing feeling). If I'm messing around with larger mags, it invariably messes me up. That's one of the reasons I enjoy SWAT: headshots for days, enough firepower in a magazine to plow through a mob with bodyshots in a pinch, and (excepting the Kriss) inconsequentially short reloads. Also, in terms of psychology rather than gameplay, if you have a larger magazine it devalues individual shots, so you might wind up shooting lkess efficiently and being less mindful of waste. Not really the fast lane to doshtown.

Upvote 0
Stanley;n2309842 said:
I use bash exploit to cut reload animation.

While the exploit on it's own is definitely faster than the elite-reload on it's own, and occasionally using the exploit on a normal reload is faster than using the exploit on an elite-reload (IIRC the .500 Magnums are like this), sometimes that ability isn't even possible (for example, with tube fed shotguns) and most times the exploit on top of the elite-reload is stupid fast. Overall I think the benefits of the elite-reload are pretty concrete, and I take the skill 9/10 times.

I also think reloading before being empty (tac-reload) on most weapons is smart behavior, and I spam that reload button whenever there's a second I'm not shooting at something. With the elite-reload skill most weapons do the tac-reload lightning fast and it really minimizes the time you can be caught off guard.

Plus I'm the kind of player who can normally control his trigger finger, so controlled bursts with a spammy use of reloading usually means a larger magazine isn't that big of an advantage. When the **** hits the fan and I need to feed a gun, though, I like to be as fast as possible. I don't think an extra 10 SCAR bullets will bring down a Scrake reliably, but getting the gun fed in about a second lets me keep filling that chainsaw wielding psychopath with led more consistently than otherwise so that's my preferred route.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For Commando I run mag size. Weapons of choice are AK and MedAR. That means 45 bullets in the AK and 60 for the MedAR. Over 100 shots without reloading. You'll find some down time between 100 shots. That plus reload cancel. Allows for more room for error if you have to fight a Scrake.

Reload cancel is a feature, not an exploit. The devs are aware of it and balance weapons around it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0