Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Privay Policy Update

We’ve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We’ve incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We’ve added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: http://tripwireinteractive.com/policies/privacy-notice
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.

Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.

General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Name Shaming and Public "Witch Hunts" are also not allowed.
    3. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    4. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    5. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.

• There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!

DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post, "necro post" or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.

Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.

Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.

A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Detailed Survivalist Rework Concept

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed Survivalist Rework Concept

This is a detailed, fan-made concept for a rework of the controversial Survivalist perk. I want to preface this concept by admitting that I haven't spent countless hours of my life working the precise math of each skill in relationship to every single weapon; this is simply meant to showcase the idea of what I'm going for and it's likely there are issues I've missed in here that more hardcore/dedicated/experienced players might find “idiotic”. Further, I'm sure there are those who swear by this perk as it currently stands. Please take this as fun brainstorming which could also be the start of a separate perk idea! As I go along I will try to explain my thought process with each change/idea, and I encourage others to share their thoughts about this (or the original) perk!

When I first started playing “Killing Floor 2” I really liked this perk (or at least, its core idea) but it quickly became a Solo “for fun” perk that had no real benefit other than being able to play with different weapons every match in order to alleviate some of the tedium of Solo play. As I see it, the main issues with this perk are these:
    1.) The Survivalist was marketed as a high-skill-cap jack-of-all-trades perk that encouraged creativity and smart play, designed for experienced players. The problem is that those experienced players have repeatedly shown how it's always better to run a different perk and choose an off-perk weapon than it is to run Survivalist (as Survivalist is mathematically barely better than off-perking anyways, and lacks the utility-oriented skills that the other perks provide)! A Support has more power and utility as a jack-of-all-trades than a Survivalist with “Weapon Harness”, for example. If survival is your focus then both Medic and Berserker are superior at kiting and surviving, and both still have room for off-perk options. (The examples go on.) It's not just that Survivalist is “master of none”, it's that the other classes are still better at being a survivalist or jack-of-all-trades than the Survivalist itself!
    2.) As a weakened “mimic” the Survivalist lacks any real identity or theme (even as a jack-of-all-trades), and thus a place on a team. There is currently no hole a Survivalist can fill that another perk could fill almost as easily while also bringing something special and/or vital to the table. The current Survivalist design forces you to choose randomly-assembled specializations from other perks anyways; as such, you are already limiting your load-out and choosing your focus with your skill choice, so why not pick a stronger form of that focus by picking its associated perk? And although Survivalist might be better at switching team roles mid-match, this is made moot by the fact that you can switch entire perks mid-match!
    3.) I've seen some people mention that the Survivalist requires more Dosh in order to begin to keep up with its fellow perks. This makes sense since it has weaker and less-focused bonuses. A player has to essentially “brute-force” effectiveness by mixing and matching expensive high-tier combos, and/or upgrading to compensate weakness. This isn't so much a flaw as it is unrealized potential! The current model simply does very little to aid or encourage this, making this behavior a necessary evil rather than a guided progression.

I aim to address these three issues with this concept by adding utility and two distinct themes. By centering the player's choices to either self-improvement or flexibility, I hope to add flavor and purpose to the class without treading on other perks or losing all of the “perk sampling” flavor!
    MAXIMUM PASSIVE BONUSES:
    25% Heavy Body Armor
    25% Global Damage Resistance
    100% Weapon Penetration
    50% Reduced Weapon Upgrade Cost
    I took away the 15% damage boost because it was pitiful and I wanted to make room for a more powerful and skillful bonus. The 100% universal weapon penetration has far more damage potential but requires skillful use in the right situations to be most effective. I'll admit that I'm horribly unsure of the balance; on the one hand it could potentially be overpowered with certain gun types (like SMGs), and on the other it could be a wimpy boost in comparison to other perks (mainly, Support's 500% bonus with shotguns). This suggestion could require a significant change to the percentage and/or a change in how the math works in relation to a weapon's base penetration. That said, the Survivalist's severe lack of most of the skills that make other perks so effective with their respective weapons might already balance this one bonus out!

I also took away the 75% boost to ZED time reload in exchange for making upgrading weapons cheaper for the Survivalist. (Don't worry, I know this was a nice aspect to Survivalist and I rework it into one of the final skill choices.) This new bonus allows Survivalist to use the new upgrade mechanics easier than all of the other perks, making the perk more unique while simultaneously supplying them with their main source of simplistic damage buffs. Rather than be supplied with damage buffs for a weapon type like other perks, the Survivalist has to selectively buy their buffs for individual weapons (at a discount). Sure, that means they could buy upgrades cheaper for other teammates as well, but... that would require quite a bit of coordination in a short amount of time, and it would still give the Survivalist more purpose in a team. This bonus is also thematic, since one would imagine a Survivalist to be better at tinkering with and improving their gear!
    STARTING LOADOUT:
    Dual 9mm Pistols with full ammo.
    Goreshiv
    Noisemakers

One complaint I've repeatedly read has been regarding the Survivalist's weird grenade situation. I recommend simply giving the Survivalist their own grenade to remedy this (like how they were recently given the Goreshiv knife). The grenade I came up with was the Noisemaker, a thematic utility-oriented grenade to make the Survivalist more about brain than brawn. A Noisemaker would do no damage but rather would draw the attention of ZEDs as though it were another player (EDARs, enraged enemies, and bosses would be immune to this effect). Noisemakers could briefly take some pressure off of the team and/or conveniently group some of the hoard for killing (synergizing well with weapon penetration and some later skills). A Siren could still deactivate Noisemakers, so you wouldn't want to draw their attention.

I also once read that somebody called the Survivalist the “party game” perk due to its randomized starting loadout, and it's a sentiment I somewhat agree with. To make the Survivalist more predictable – and thus dependable – I have suggested replacing the randomized weapon with a second 9mm pistol (which is still a highly generic weapon) and full ammo. I rework the randomized loadout into an optional skill for those that like it.

COMBAT STRATEGY [5]:
    Forward Thinking:
    Your reload speed increases the more ammunition you have remaining in your magazine. This bonus goes up to 50%.
    Quick Thinking:
    Taking damage increases your weapon swap speed by 25% for 3 seconds. This bonus can stack up to 3 times.

The original reload skills were indeed useful, but they were also a clear showcase of some of the counter-intuitiveness of the original Survivalist design. Arguably THE benefit of the Survivalist was supposed to be their unique loadout flexibility, and by separating the reload bonuses into categories you are severely limiting the loadouts that could get use out of the skill (because otherwise it would be better to run a different perk if only one weapon received a bonus anyways). Worse still, the bonuses were essentially separated into “fast firing” and “high damage” weapons, meaning the obvious jack-of-all-trades loadout option wouldn't work with these skills.

“Forward Thinking” is designed as a magazine top-up skill, rewarding players for actively taking opportunities in the battle to refill their clip. My suggested percentage is a placeholder; ideally you'd have the reload be faster than the standard “elite” near full, be just a bit slower than “elite” at half-magazine, and have no bonus at empty. By not being a consistent bonus I have balanced for it affecting all weapon types. Further this new skill automatically balances itself depending on the weapon, receiving no bonuses for powerful one-shot weapons such as the RPG or M99, making it difficult to make use of for weapons that chew through ammo such as the Kriss, and being most consistently useful for weapons that load one bullet at a time. It also benefits the one on-perk weapon the Survivalist has – the Freezethrower – which is something the original skills didn't do.
    “Quick Thinking” is designed to help keep a Survivalist on their toes when the ZEDs hit the fan. By making the bonus temporary and tied to damage I have ensured the skill activates when you most need it, but otherwise it is nonexistent (and thus doesn't steal the thunder from other perks). Further, whereas “Forward Thinking” encourages players to stay on one weapon and keep it topped-up, “Quick Thinking” encourages players to have a balanced loadout that they can switch to on a moment's notice.

SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES [10]:
    Medic Training:
    Increase the potency of all your healing 20% and decrease the cooldown of your syringe and healing darts 40%.
    Melee Expert:
    When using any melee weapon you move 20% faster, gain 20% resistance to all damage, and heal 4 points of Health for every ZED you kill with a melee weapon.
    Both of the original skills were definitely on the right track, boosting things that the first skills didn't enhance. Although I could feel the difference with “Medic Training”, I believe the skill needed a slight buff. Buffing the cooldown makes the Survivalist better at healing and at staying alive, but without the million other awesome bonuses the Medic can get there is no way the buff would replace that perk (especially because I'm taking away the healing grenade).
    As for “Melee Expert”, swapping out damage-oriented bonuses for survival-oriented bonuses makes temporary melee combat far more viable; what purpose was the extra damage when you couldn't survive the danger of close-quarters combat? This change allows the Survivalist the chance to get out of sticky melee situations but decidedly doesn't make them nearly powerful enough to match a Berserker. Better still, this skill meshes well with it's earlier right-side counterpart “Quick Thinking”, allowing an overwhelmed Survivalist to quickly switch to a melee weapon and fight their way out of danger!

EQUIPMENT [15]:
    Calibrate:
    Your 9mm pistols deal 50% extra damage and 50% additional headshot damage. Begin each game with your 9mm pistols upgraded once.
    Stockpile:
    Increase carrying capacity by 5. Begin each game with a random Tier 1 weapon.
    By changing the Survivalist's grenade situation the original skills needed to be overhauled (since it was no longer a choice between a superior grenade with a “meh” skill and an essential bonus with a sucky grenade). “Calibrate” adds a sort of SWAT/Commando/Gunslinger/Sharpshooter flair, helping form the left-side's focus on fortifying yourself and the gear you already have by making the 9mm pistols a valid weapon option past the first waves. “Stockpile” reinforces the right-side's focus on being prepared for every scenario, giving the player extra weight for additional weapons while reintroducing the randomized starting loadout.
    DESTRUCTION [20]:
    Spontaneous ZED-plosion:
    ZEDs you kill have a 20% chance to explode, damaging and knocking down nearby ZEDs.
    Pesticide:
    All fire, explosive, and freeze weapons can also poison ZEDs, inflicting damage over time.

I've kept “Spontaneous ZED-plosion” exactly how it was. Love it or hate it, the extra weapons it affects compared to its Firebug counterpart make it an interesting niche skill that deserves extra exploration. This skill could be amazing or horrible, and it all depends on the player and the situation (making it a good fit for Survivalist).

The original explosive-based bonus was incredibly weak when falloff mechanics were taken into account. Although I know people dislike poison due to it damaging the body rather than the head, “Pesticide” thematically buffs the damage of both fire and explosive weaponry while also buffing the perk's only unique weapon, the Freezethrower. A Survivalist could aid a Firebug with an additional DoT, the poison could finish off enemies weakened by an explosive blast, or enemies frozen for crowd-control could also be taking extra damage regardless of if they were being shot. More importantly, this skill benefits the Survivalist's bank account by easily setting them up for kills or assists, and it synergizes well with the Noisemaker.

SPECIALIST TRAINING [25]:
    ZED TIME - Respite:
    During ZED Time, you move, reload your weapons, and use the medical syringe in real time.
    ZED TIME - Scavenger:
    During ZED Time, your weapon recoil is reduced by 25% and you earn increased Dosh for assists and kills.

Although the original ZED Time skills weren't downright terrible, they were just weaker variants of other perks' damage-oriented skills. As such I wanted to rework them to make the Survivalist's skills more unique, as well as more about brain than brawn. These new skills aren't about feeling powerful. They are about intentionally setting the Survivalist up for later success.

“Respite” allows you the opportunity to top up your gun, heal yourself (or a nearby teammate), get yourself out of danger, and/or set yourself up in a better strategic position. It doesn't get you kills; it gives you breathing room. The real-time syringe and reloading also synergize well with other left-side skills, “Forward Thinking” and “Medic Training”.
    “Scavenger” also doesn't get you kills, but helps you earn that sweet sweet Dosh you need to live up to your full potential. A Survivalist with “Scavenger” has an important choice: Do they use that Dosh to buff themselves in order to keep up with their teammates damage-wise, or do they leave themselves weak in order to become a Dosh hose for the more powerful perks? Either way, this skill synergizes particularly well with the extra earning power of “Pesticide”.

Working...
X