• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

why do hans & patty get speed boosts when 1 player remains?

LolzMan1325

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
I was doing some research on the KF2 Stats Spreadsheet and I came across this information that I never knew existed:
hans.png
patty.png
Knowing this new information, I have to ask, what's actually the point to this? So many problems arise from this major hidden stat change. Is it not enough that the last player standing has to trudge through a boss that has 2-6 times more health than normal? There has to be a hidden speed boost?

After I found this out this explained so many things. Mainly how solo strategies seize to work, but to the average player this happens for seemingly no reason.

Gunslingers can no longer outrun these bosses. Skullcracker reduces speed by 30% on headshot, which negates the bonus (temporarily), but then that just means they're running at normal speed now (equivalent to if you didn't headshot them at all in solo, which means they will still catch up to you).

Medics at full speed (+10% at level 25, +30% with full adrenaline shot) does the same thing except the other way around--it temporarily makes you faster than the boss when in solo, you'd be faster than them all the time without needing to constantly have the very limited resource of adrenaline shot on you (which you can only apply to yourself via limited medic grenades, which you will run out of eventually and you wouldn't be able to pick up more from ammo boxes because the boss would catch up to you and kill you and also because the game actually gets more stingy with ammo boxes the less players there are)

Berserkers get a 20% speed boost at level 5 and that's it, not even a passive one like gunslinger or medic, so that's obviously not enough to outrun the boss for very long given they're 10% faster than you are, they're only real hope is not getting caught on anything and their passive and/or skill-based damage resistances and health regen (only the passive one since unless the boss isn't on the last phase, there's no trash to heal from with vampire)

And lastly, in a way, this affects all other perks because not only is your syringe weaker in multiplayer (only heals for 20HP, though at the same rate as solo when you're the last player), the boss catches up to you faster meaning that you can't heal for the same amount per engagement that you can in solo, once again putting even more crushing pressure on the last player. In a solo game, between engagements, you could heal for 50HP every 7.5 seconds, while in multiplayer, you can only heal for 20HP every 7.5 seconds. This ultimately results in a major net loss of health which guarantees that if you don't kill the boss soon, you might as well off yourself because it's a done deal.

What I'm upset about is that I've played KF2 for 2000+ hours and this information was never communicated in any clear and distinct manner in the game at all, I had to go looking for this information and even then I found it by complete accident.

There's literally 0 reason for this to exist. All it does is put way too much pressure on the last player, who already has to deal with a boss with 2-6 times more health than normal, while getting less than half the health from their syringe than they normally would, with each ammo box taking 30 seconds to respawn (changes based on the amount of living players, but is 30 seconds for 1 living player), and apparently with a 30% speed boost to Hans and Patty as the cherry on top. All in all, you might as well kill the last player immediately if the boss isn't at their last phase with 50% health or less because anything more is only delaying the inevitable.

I'm by no means saying it's impossible to kill a boss as the last player standing given these circumstances. I'm saying with everything else that's already stacked against you as the last player standing in multiplayer, you don't need the bosses being given a whopping 30% speed boost, which is not clearly communicated anywhere in the game, completely invisible to anyone who doesn't read the spreadsheet.

There's difficulty, and then there's unfairness. This is just flat-out unfair. I've seen so many teams with 1 person left wipe with just a hair of health left on the boss, and now I know why.

The bottom line is: this is a weird unnecessary thing to have, let alone hidden, and in my opinion, shouldn't be in the game at all because it does nothing for increasing difficulty, but everything for making an already somewhat-unfair (albeit challenging) circumstance even more unfair for seemingly no reason other than just to make it more unfair.

At least the boss doesn't teleport behind you as you turn around and start hitting you at the exact moment you aim at something else...

But yeah, that's hilarious. I never knew it's the way it is.

I'm guessing the point is to prevent kiting (LOL!).

The true question is, why is this not all the time then, and why not to all specimens throughout waves? If endless kiting is an issue that needs to be solved, it should be solved way before the boss wave and way before there's only one player left.

Upvote 0
This addition has happened quite a long time ago, in v1.041 which is like 2.5 years old now.

IIRC someone (Kitten i guess) said that this done to prevent fast perks from soloing bosses (don't quote me there), so your arguments is likely what they had in mind.

I personally agree with this addition although you can blame them for not stating that. In depth explanation isn't really their strongest suit. I still see people telling that shooting ZED's legs is more effective to stumble them.

Reactions: Patros
Upvote 0