• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

QoL - 9mm, knives, and us Console/Controller players

TheWaywardKid

Jul 6, 2018
For players using controllers, please consider adding an option in the menu to take 9mm pistols out of the rotation when tapping "Y" to switch weapons! (Pwetty pwease…?) I understand why you aren't allowed to sell your 9mm pistol, but having it in your rotation can often clog up your reaction times at the worst possible moments! I always have to remember when I've picked up ammo boxes versus when I haven't, and/or I have to remember where in the cycle I need to double-tap to skip the darn things. You could make the 9mm pistol like the knives: Unless you are out of ammo for every other weapon, you have to manually select the 9mm pistols when you hold down "Y".
Speaking of the knives, it would be nice to be able to have the choice to do the opposite with them: Add them IN to the quick-swap "Y" rotation! Usually this would be stupid, but perks such as Commando, Swat, or Survivalist might like that option. :)

This isn't really an issue since you only have to press it another time to roll onto the weapon you want. I like it being mapped to Y since when I see a bloat or easy small zeds, the 9mm is more than enough to kill them. Plus, always start as Swat for 1st wave. You get dual 9mm and 50% increase in dmg. makes for killing bloat very easy, but there are always the scrubs that try to get the last hit after its head is off.

Upvote 0
It gets to be a lot when you have 3+ other weapons equipped, having to remember how many taps of the button to cycle through to the weapon you want. The 9mm does indeed stay useful throughout the game, but making an option to disable it from the rotation would help for loadouts which don't make a lot of use with it, or carry a lot of weapons.

Upvote 0
My point exactly! Thanks! :D
I'm not saying the change should be forced on players, but rather that it should be an option (for both the 9mm and the knives). The knives are a good example; I think people would complain if it were forced into the rotation due to the same reasons I'd like the option to take the 9mm pistol out of quick-swap rotation. Yes, the 9mm pistol is viable in the right circumstances. So is the knife, and in most of the scenarios where it is viable I will take the effort to manually select it (although perks that get better use out of it might want it easier to select).

But take into account, for example, that a VERY popular tactic is to bring the Medic's pistol - an economical weapon with loads of ammo that can handily compete with a 9mm while also healing. At that point a 9mm becomes a redundant hassle unless you are an incredibly poor shot.

And starting with SWAT is indeed a very nice tactic due to all the starting bonuses they have! That is a case that - as I mentioned - you might want the option to keep the 9mm in rotation. However, if your intention is to switch away from SWAT later I'd argue it might be worth the hassle to manually select the pistols in the easier waves in order to save yourself from their cumbersome presence in later waves.

Upvote 0
Yeah, after the first couple waves & especially after I've bought and upgraded the HMtech-101, The 9mm does start being more of a burden & clogging up my quick-switch cycle. I wouldn't say it's a priority update, though, so for now, maybe just don't reload it at the trader? Or go by magazine.

For sure something I'd like to see eventually, though.

Upvote 0