• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

(This ain't good) SSD is a must for servers for smooth gaming's sake!

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic

I had a KF2 server with the following setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
MSI B350 Mortar
Gloway DDR4 16G 2133 *2
Samsung XP941 PCIE SSD 128GB
(There is also an old Hitachi HDD 80GB on the server)

Carrying 24 rooms with custom maps

At first the server files were on the SSD. Months ago I had my system reinstalled and had to resetup the KF2 server settings. I hate it and threw the server files onto the HDD assuming that I don't have to reinstall it over again. (And the available capacity on SSD is scarce) And later I found out game stutters and warps on both the zeds and the player (they stuck for a sec and instantly moved forward).
I reduced number of rooms but no improvements. Then I realized Yoshiro mentioned Disk IO, and moved server files back into the SSD. No more stutters.

Well..This ain't good.

Trader time is atrocious with a server on a HDD. When weapon content is dynamically loaded from any player buying (or spawning with) a weapon that hasn't been loaded yet, the client temporarily loses connection to the server while it loads the content. You see any previously moving player now running into walls due to extrapolation over several seconds.

This is something that really needs to be addressed in the upcoming QoL passes.

Upvote 0