• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Developer's thoughts on Robot Enemies?

sausey101

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 27, 2019
Hi, I used to be a huge fan of Killing Floor 2 but haven't picked it up since EDAR's were added to the game. That update kind of just ruined the whole experience for me. Not because the enemies are difficult or anything, but I just don't get the same enjoyment out of killing robots as I do killing zeds. In my opinion, they just don't fit in the game. If those awesome Killing Floor 2 trailers I saw years ago featured robots, I never would have picked this game up. Any thoughts on possibly removing them from the game or even adding a game mode with just zeds? I find myself looking through Killing Floor forums from time to time but I'm always disappointed to see that no one is talking about this issue. At this point, it seems that everyone has accepted them and openly bash others opinions for opposing their presence in the game, but I'm just wondering what the developer's thoughts are on the robot enemies, and their future in Killing Floor 2. Thanks to whoever read this.

EDARs don't fit much with KF 2 but after they made them easily killable and tolerable, most of us don't care much about them. What annoys us the most is the fact that they share the same spawn pool of Husks and Stalkers, rather than having their own spawn pool. And devs are never going to remove the EDARs, if they haven't removed them by now, they're never going away anyway.

Upvote 0
They honestly grew quite a lot on me. I still believe they should by cyborgs rather than fully robotic... But they definitely bring some interesting gameplay mechanics, mostly the EMP effect when they die...And the dreadful paralyzing effect!

I agree with Edomaro however : they should have had a separate spawnpool... Or even be a downright "neutral" faction, attacking both zeds and players!

Upvote 0
I'm still not a fan at all, but there's no hope at all of them getting removed.

To make a particular complaint, I dislike their voicing.
Filtered Pat/Hans lines, beep boop, WEOOUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
But at least EDARs' copied lines are better than the player DAR's, which usually copy the slightly wrong lines for what they should be saying. "There's ammo here." means "Do you have ammo?", or such confusing things.

Upvote 0
I was okay with the robots at first, but I find myself just getting put off by them these days. Yeah, they aren't too difficult to kill, but they are annoying to deal with compared to other zeds.

I don't like how there is no real counterplay to the trappers aside from just killing them. Berserkers have to do things up close, so they get immunity to being grabbed, right? But it doesn't work against trappers. The game just says okay, you're in timeout for the next couple seconds.
Husks were always well-balanced because of the warning sound when they fire and being able to dodge if you're experienced, but the blasters and bombers firing several shots per attack make the process long and tedious, especially at long range or in open areas.
I just feel like there was no careful thought put into the implementation and counterplay to the robots as there was with all the other zeds.

Maybe they fit well with the Matriarch boss? I know they tie into that lore, but they still feel completely out-of-place in regular waves thematically and even more importantly for gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0