• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Biggest KF2 Pet Peeves + Dreams

HeatSurge

Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2009
This might be a long post, but I'll post everything in one instead of splitting it in several different posts.

I love KF2. I loved KF1 even more, but that's a different post :) . This is just a list in no particular order of practical things which, if changed, I would feel is an improvement to the game.

If these are too many to address, consider them a wishlist for KF3!

I am mostly greatly enjoying the game, but I think it could be better.

1. Electric sound (+ general comments of sound design).

The electric explosion sound (shock grenade/"EDAR explodes") is ridiculous. It sounds like a bell being rung or something. Weak, wimpy, gamey.

Here's 10 hours of sound effects, some of which would actually be pretty annoying (the high-pitched, buzzing ones I don't like), but imagine something like the effect at 0:57, ran in reverse. It's not annoying, and if in reverse, it would represent a nice, bassy "impact" electric explosion, with a short electricity-arcing-sounding decay, representing circuits burning or zeds being electrocuted. The effect should start with a "thunder-like" explosion, with good bass, and then some decay with electrical arc sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38j6Qmlfz68

General comment on sound design: Some, especially "fantasy" (energy/fire) guns sound too "pew-pew" and that makes them feel light and cheap. Yes, the animations everywhere are top-notch, but unfortunately the sound doesn't always match.

Compare the railgun in KF2 to the railgun here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9zx_xvEdw

The echo helps, but even the base sound just has "balls" compared to the KF2 more pew-pew railgun. Also the metal sounds of rounds being inserted and the gun opening, that I think just isn't well-done in KF2. Yes, there are reloading sounds, but they're definitely not as cool.

Some other guns also sound "weak." In addition, the 3rd party sounds of the guns are sometimes ridiculously muffled and muted. Yes, I understand that making them "full loudness" - or even louder than "the user" since you might be standing nearer the barrel opening, would make the game ridiculously loud and annoying, hearing your teammates' guns just sounds like every gun is ultra-suppressed. The solution is probably to introduce a faster-than-real-world falloff of the "super loud" gun sounds, so it's only at nearly full power if you're standing really close to the user.

Why does 1. matter?

KF2 has top notch weapon animations, but unfortunately the sound design doesn't always match - especially with energy/fantasy(non-bullet) guns. Having better sounds would make you feel more connected to your guns, give them more feel of "weight," and hearing your teammates' guns better increases the feel of them doing damage, and the feel of teamwork.

Making the electric sound explosive, and actually sounding like electricity, would make you feel like you're causing an electric explosion, and doing damage, as opposed to playing a game.

2. Electricity vfx.

I don't know if the electricity vfx was added last minute or something, but it just feels unfinished. Consider the lightning seen at 1:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGTReEvNMM .

The smoke is unnecessary and detrimental in KF2, but the lightning effects shouldn't be an "expanding sphere" with a cheap, 90's-looking plasma shader on it, as well as the same crappy plasma on the affected zeds. It should be lightning bolt particles or arcs emitting inside a sphere, or from a single point or something. I don't know, I'm not a vfx expert - I just feel like instead of a sphere, it should be somehow better and with more lightning/arcs.

Why does 2. matter?

If the shock effect vfx was revised, coupled with a sound revision, it would really really increase the enjoyment of fighting robots, throwing shock grenades, or the enjoyment of shock effects of the new rifle that's coming to survivalist, as well as future shock weapons.

3. "heads"

This is a tough one. Zeds (even low-level ones) covering their heads in KF2 so much is quite annoying, but ok, I'll play the whack-a-mole aiming minigame between bloats, or try to "hyper-aim" in the little tiny space on the sides of the cleavers where you can still hit their heads or the chins of elite clots even if they're covering. I feel like it's a cheap way to artificially increase difficulty, but whatever...

The bigger issue I see creeping up lately is that, fine, we now have 2 zeds which are "headless" - rioter (legs, except sharp and maybe gunslinger with heavier pistols) and EDARs (chest).

However, I feel like those ideas contradict the basic design of KF2, and since they were added later, they present some problems:

- Mutators. Beefcake encourages headshots. Bobblehead REALLY encourages headshots. Cranium cracker is headshots only.

Most of KF2 is headshots, but the weekly mutators (now also randomly included in endless) make it ultra headshot heavy. So now when it's either of those 3 above, rioters and EDARs don't make sense - at all. Beefcake should probably "not expand" rioters when shot in legs, and EDARs shot in chest, at least, maybe it's already been fixed. Bobblehead doesn't make sense at all - maybe it should be bobblechest and bobblelegs? lol... I don't know what the solution is there. Don't spawn rioters and edars at all? To TWI's credit, I think cranium cracker doesn't spawn EDARs at least, since they'd be unkillable. I think? It probably still spawns rioters. Since they're resistant, that's kind of an issue. I guess the cheap answer is, "well, it just increases the difficulty of those mutators - deal with it." It's just unfinished, un-thought through design to me...

- Perk design. Most perks' abilities were designed heavily around headshots. Yes, some have leg/arm abilities like gunslinger, but mostly it's headshots. Now we have zeds which are non-headshot, mostly. They're not many, and we "force through" those issues in-game, but if more non-headshot zeds are added in the future, this will become a much bigger problem for the whole game.

Why does 3. matter?

KF is "the headshot game" - and with heavy bonuses, much more dependent on headshots than most shooters. Messing with the formula too much (by putting metal in front of heads, or putting heads in the chest or legs) messes with what makes KF great in my opinion. Or at least, it can be done a lot better and more thought out than it is right now.

4. Perk skills. All-positive vs "net" (increase one to decrease another).

There is a TON that can be said for perks, but something that hasn't really been said much before (?) jumped out at me while I was thinking about the non-choice at Demo level 15 (siren scream immunity vs decrease damage to increase aoe).

Why that choice isn't one is in my opinion because in that particular case you have made one side be "+" while the other is "-+". When that's the case, people will trend towards the "+".

For example: A perk skill may be defined as:
- Increase weapon damage 25%
or
- Increase weapon damage 25% but increase recoil 10%.

Or:
- Increase melee heavy hit damage 25%
or
- Increase melee heavy hit damage 25% but decrease all melee weapon attacks speed by 20%.

Among a LOT of other issues with balancing, I feel like tripwire needs to decide - are all perks "all positive" or "negative effect to cause a positive effect."

The design thought behind "all positive" vs "decrease one stat to increase another" is extremely different, and if there's a "net zero" skill choice, it should be "net zero" on both sides to make it really interesting. If one side is "just increase something" and the other is a "net zero," the "just increase" will win almost every time.

Also, when there's "free" damage increase with no downside, I think people might choose this almost every time, unfortunately, so consider that.

Why does 4. matter?

"Net zero" vs "increase something" choices in skills make them non-choices. Among many other issues, solve that to introduce more meaningfull skill decisions. Perhaps introduce more downsides to make the choices really gut-wrenchingly difficult (maybe all skills net zero? so for example (Left) you get mag increases but damage decrease or (Right) mag decrease but damage increase).

5. Self-heal.

Medic is ridiculously OP and stupid for soloing purposes. Berserker and somewhat survivalist approaches the same stupidity with the general resistance and self-heal skills. All need to be nerfed somehow.

I've seen people play medic to not heal their team, just because if everyone dies, which is common in random fail pubs, it's trivial to solo with the increased movement speed (discussed also in next section) and the self-heal spam (syringe + grenade). However, because they're a "weaker" DPS perk in general, and have no "damage spike" weapons, such non-heal medics are a detriment and a drag to their team. They would've been more helpful as a different perk if they're not going to heal. Still, they play medic because they can self-patch their mistakes so easily.

In Solo, medic makes HOE a joke. Spam grenades to self-heal AND kill trash at the same time, self-heal and escape with speed if you get caught in a bind. It's just too stupid.

This is a difficult thing to address, because the speed is necessary to (in theory) get to teammates and heal them with syringe, although almost nobody in KF2 does it, sadly, because of the aimbot darts and just general laziness to switch to syringe and run to teammates. I miss KF1 where even healing well was more of a skill. Syringe regen and medic grenades are also very necessary, because healing is medic's "thing" and if he's not good at that, he's not good at anything, because his weapons are generally weaker and he just sucks at everything that a more dedicated class would accomplish and solve better, faster, and/or cheaper.

Proposals. All of them are difficult, but probably necessary:
- Movement speed, either remove movement speed bonuses completely (also see next section), or increase movement only if you're moving at a sharp enough angle towards a teammate who is within ~20m of where you are. If everyone is dead, or you're too far from teammates, receive no movement speed bonuses.
- Syringe regen - regen at increased speed ONLY if you healed someone else. Regen at normal, base game, speed if you healed yourself. Also, receive no bonuses for increased efficiency if healing self. Basically make medic syringe bonuses ONLY if you're healing teammates. Otherwise, it's your basic 25 heal and then slow recharge like all other classes. Leave guns unaffected, since they're probably fine. Maybe even too fast in the AR's case, could use a little nerf, or a little %-nerf across the board, but it's mostly fine as is.
- Make grenades still cause poison, but make them not as damaging as to not make trash trivial in solo HOE. The poison from grenades feels too strong. The poison from guns or darts, conversely, feels too weak.

Why is 5. important?

Too many go medic to solo kite at the end of the wave, or end up solo kiting because everyone died. This is not helping the game, or introducing fun gameplay. It's hurting it. If the team dies, it should die. Too many rounds end in a solo medic infinite kiting around the map. It doesn't matter how much you teleport zeds behind people to try to sandwich, it doesn't matter how many fleshpounds you spawn raged at the same time - with the self-heal and healing nade spam + movement speed + ammo box spawn, the current medics can probably deal with mostly infinite enemies in most conditions. This is completely broken, and has been since KF1. In theory, the bonuses should help you help your teammates. In practice, the bonuses make you weaker, and if your teammates are bad and can't pull the small extra weight you put on your team by going medic and they die, you end up either willingly or unwillingly kiting for a LONG time while everyone watches. Rinse and repeat. This needs to stop. The medic should die without his teammates as well, and should be just as punishable for his own mistakes.

6. Movement.

This is the big one.

Player movement is, well, way too fast. There's infinite sprinting, and with the (optional) autoaim grabbing, clots aren't as dangerous - even without the autoaim, they aren't really. This enables infinite kiting.

As if base movement wasn't fast enough, medic, gunslinger, and berserker have even faster movement ability.

Full disclosure: I hate kiting for the sake of kiting, from the beginning of a wave. The way I like to play KF is to hold a spot, and deal with shifting priorities with "lanes" or whatever, as zeds come at you - by aiming and team members prioritizing targets correctly. If a particularly bad spawn combo appears, I'm fine with "escaping" and kiting a little bit while the team gets the situation under control and establishes a hold in the same space, or somewhere else. But not kiting from the beginning of the wave to the end of the wave. Unfortunately, this is all too common, especially around sales, or people of too low level in a too high difficulty server. That's also why lately Nuked is popular - it's an endless circular kite.

Why do I hate kiting? It's personal preference ultimately. I can understand how you might not have a problem with it or even enjoy it. I personally like punishing games where you either rise above a threshold, or die. In KF, I love going INTO zeds, because it just feels badass, and it's a triumph over what the game "threw at me." It feels good to me that not only can I "hold" against the problem that the game presented, but I can "rise over" the problem. I don't like kiting in KF in particular, because it's mostly a patch for lack of skill, bad choices, and/or lack of teamwork. Addressing this would make the game more "hardcore" and "elitist" or "exclusive" perhaps, but the movement speed increases for zeds on higher difficulties are already attempting to do that. However, they're failing. You can kite just as well on "HOE" (very hard) as on "Normal" (easy).

What I propose is to make the sprinting speed limited. A slowly rechargeable bar would be fine, with perhaps even a cooldown, and maybe even link player speed to weight carried. Carrying heavier weapons weight? Slower movement speed. The current speed for all classes should be the speed for carrying their starter weapons. It only goes down from there. How much? I don't know, it needs testing. A lot of testing.

What I also propose, and I understand this will not have many fans, but I feel is necessary, is to remove all player speed bonuses, EXCEPT medic, and ONLY if medic is moving at a narrow enough angle towards a nearby (~20m) teammate, maybe even only while holding a syringe, not in general.

Also, I think you should not be able to sprint backwards. Yes, that will introduce a somewhat stupid sprint-jump-lookbehindinmidair-lookforwardinmidair-sprint minigame to kiting, but anything to make kiting more difficult, or "higher skill ceiling" if you will... helps :) .

Also, I would like it if the small movement speed bonus while holding a knife like in KF1 was reintroduced. Knife only, not "any melee weapon."

There should be more penalties for firing while moving for all classes. Yes, you get a recoil and accuracy bonus while crouched, but it should be more pronounced, and there should be distinct differences in deviation and recoil when sprinting vs running vs standing vs crouched, crouched being the best, but not too much better than standing because ideally not everyone on a team should be crouched.

Why is 6. important?

This is unfortunately subjective because you might not have a problem with kiting, or even enjoy it, but in my opinion it's not the way the game was made to be played, and kiting should be viable in emergency situations only (separated, the spawn was too difficult, someone made a mistake mid-wave, etc.). It will make the game more punishing to reduce movement, but I like that, and it will leave camping/holding tactics completely unaffected. The difference in skill required to camp vs kite is unfortunately very large currently, and I believe the number 1 bar-none reason is the fast movement, movement bonuses + self-heal (see section above), backwards sprinting, and small penalties for shooting while moving (except sharpshooter, see next section).

7. Sharpshooter bonuses for crouch.

This gets its own section because it's a large problem, especially when put together with the movement issues above.

Sharpshooter has huge bonuses for crouched, and a small potential bonus while scoped. With a kiting team, the perk is pretty bad. It has movement skills, yes, but consider this: Would you rather play a sharpshooter with the movement bonuses, or just... gunslinger. In my opinion, this is a non-decision. If you're playing a moving sharpshooter, you'd be better off playing gunslinger more or less 100% of the time. I won't go into detail, but if you think about it, the only way in the game that it makes sense for a sharpshooter to play is crouched and probably scoped most of the time.

The problem with that, is that this is the ONLY perk in the game which has this standing/crouch/scope restriction. Again, yes, you can play ss moving with MBR or whatever, but again gunslinger is better in that situation, which makes this a huge issue due to prevalent kiting.

If movement is adjusted as seen above, this issue will fix itself.

If movement is not adjusted (realistically, I understand this is not likely to happen, but I can dream), then sharpshooter either needs those bonuses without having to crouch and scope, or it needs some beefy bonuses to make it viable while moving, and more attractive than simply playing gunslinger.

Why is 7. important?

If the group is moving for any reason, you have to play a sprint/crouch/scope/sprint/crouch/scope minigame and forfeit your reload penalty while everyone else just shoots. Also, maybe I don't want to crouch all the time while shooting... significant bonuses being tied to crouching and scoping just isn't fun in my opinion.

8. "Stand your ground"

Cute idea, but I get annoyed when nobody wants to bother, or only half the team is there. I would welcome a bit of evil with this system, and introduce a negative consequence for "not even trying" to defend the area. For example, the current system remains, but the ticker for "expiration" is increased to 2 times faster (it's too easy to "get the bonus" or "get some bonus" even if you don't try right now because the wave can end too quickly), and if you fail, the area starts counting towards negative dosh (dosh only should be enough, negative vosh and xp would be too complicated and perhaps unnecessary) for the wave. So you can actually get up to +300dosh, +100xp, +200vosh or something, or up to -300dosh if you fail.

Important: The negative count ONLY counts if people have left the physical area. It does NOT count negatively if zeds AND people are in the area. So, it only penalizes you for complete abandonment, not for not being able to hold it.

Why is 8. important?

"Stand your ground" is awesome since it encourages variety, but teams should be punished for not bothering, not just incentivised to care. Put a bit of stick next to the carrot.

9. Firebug is a no-aim class.

The skill to playing firebug well vs playing commando or sharpshooter well is not even close to comparison. Firebug is a super chillax class where aiming doesn't really matter. Movement matters a bit, but compared to the high intensity of commando and ss and their need to constantly headshot with few mistakes allowed is a stark difference to sitting with flamethrower and carelessly spamming at zeds' feet and basically erasing trash with a button push while topping the kill chart and making insane amounts of money through economic efficiency.

This isn't necessarily a "problem" because some people might just like it like it is. If you want to be a badass skilled aimer, go commando. If you want to chillax and push a button, go firebug... But, I think (among some other issues like some perk skills are useless for bullet weapons while others are less useful for DOT weapons) firebug should probably have more weaknesses than it currently has. I don't really think it has place with the other classes with reliance to headshots, but perhaps in addition to it being "weak against" large zeds (fp/sc), except with microwave gun perhaps, there should be some kind of additional downsides to just spamming flamethrower.

The solution here is the most difficult, because I don't really know what it is, and probably needs testing. Perhaps make husks completely immune to fire or all firebug weapons? Make sirens' scream block fire or put out fire?

I don't know, but something needs to be done to make the mechanics of "see group of specimens - point flamethrower loosely at feet in front of group - fire - group is gone" more interesting than they are. Maybe introduce a fire-blocking shield specimen? Increase everything except crawlers' resistance to fire greatly to what it is now?

I don't know.

Why is 9. important?

Firebug is too easy in comparison to ss and commando. It also ruins bullet classes' lives, it's too easy to top the kills and economic efficiency while having an extremely low necessity to aim accurately.

10. 10:1 crafts.

You get one drop per day, 2 if you play religiously for hours. I get that TW wants to maintain item rarity, but most items are sold at $0.01 already, and if given a realistic look at the "non-crate" items, having a 10:1 craft doesn't make sense. It's not really "hurting" the game, it's just useless and more of an insult sitting in your inventory than anything else. Probably make it 2:1 like vosh items?

Why does 10. matter?

It doesn't, it just makes me look at useless "crafting materials" in my inventory for a long time, when all you get is $0.01 items that nobody wants out of the non-crate items anyway. Why not accept the flood there? Leave crate crafts still rare though, I'm fine with that. If people open crates, they deserve rare stuff.

11. Reload cancellation.

This is the easiest one to fix. I don't know why I hate the "reload cancel" minigame, but I do. If you don't know what it is, you can fire your weapon earlier than the reload animation finishes, because the ammo "appears" in the gun sooner than the animation finishes. To do that, you simply have to push your "bash" button before firing. That is because the reload animation can be cancelled by the bash, and the bash animation can be cancelled by firing.

Why not simply make the reload animation cancelable by firing? You can still get the pretty full animation if there's no enemies on the screen, but if you need to fire ASAP, why make you push a "bash" button to get the maximum reload speed out of your guns? It's just rules for the sake of rules and button pushes for the sake of button pushes.

Why is 11. important?

It's not a fighting game - although combos sound interesting for berserker - and having to push a button to fire sooner just annoys me personally. Just make the reload animation be cancelable by fire. Trust me, it will feel good. If it's an argument that it's "skill" - timing the shot would be considered skill as well because if you push fire without bullets in the chamber, it should attempt to fire the gun and start the reload over again if unsuccessful.

---

I really believe if all those things are done and thought about, we'd have a much better game on our hands. Maybe not as easy for new players, unfortunately, but deeper and more engaging.

Thanks for bothering to read all this, if you did.

Reactions: Pharrahnox
God this is a long post so i couldn't go through it all.
But one thing caugh my attention, is calling medic stupidly OP on solo hoe.
News chief, every perk on solo is OP because of how damage modifiers are made.

And medic's not healing others in a pub...
A person that plays medic is in no way obliged to be restrained to only healing, Thats why there's offensive skills available... And how xp gain is set up, that alone encourages more aggresive playstyle than staying support.

So if you're all ended dead and get angry because medic didn't heal you... Maybe get hit less next time? Or request to be healed... Or switch to medic yourself if the other doesn't do the healing part well.

Also saying that medic kf1 required more skill... I will agree... Because of how garbage the hit reg was for medic darts, that you had to spam between weapons to get those syringes onto the hurt player, because you wasted 1st as server didnt count it as hit, so you had to be on your weapon switch game to get as much heals as possible.

Also, holding one spot to win is what makes kf1 boring to play now, after getting spoiled by faster paced kf2.
You can still hold one spot if your team is well composed, but that can get dull after half the game... But at least there's more danger now that can break the hold.

Also saying kiting requires no skill is dishonest.
Knowing the map layout and where are the spawn points and which one of them is more dangerous than the other is by definition a skill. And a good skill to have to survive if the wave goes south.

Upvote 0
There's a very stark difference between soloing HOE with sharpshooter or commando as opposed to medic, firebug, and maybe berserker. You're doing similar things, but with the "easy" classes, you have "oh ****" buttons that you can easily push (mednade, heatwave+no need to aim weapons, and self-heal), while if you make a mistake with the "difficult" classes where there's no "escape button," you're dead, and done because it's solo. I would argue that SS is much less "OP" on HOE Solo than medic any day.

Medic not healing others in a pub - yes they are not restrained to ONLY heal. I didn't say that. Read again, and don't make assumptions. I am quite happy to be self-sufficient and having a medic isn't a ticket to free carelessness. However, medic has very significant boosts to healing, which are really designed for the benefit of the team. I mean... ALL their guns (not just one, ALL of them) have a healing function meant for others which even has autoaim and does not even interfere with their firing ability, AND they get constant beeps as they go over damaged players...). If you think the benefits are designed for the medic's own benefit, I have nothing more to say to you on that point. I am mostly complaining about medics which don't heal at all. Like zero healing. Not even between waves at the trader. I've seen some of that happen, as hard as it is to believe because they get significant boosts to leveling their perk by doing that... and that's kind of what the class is "meant for."

In-between the lines, it sounds like you might think this is a knee-jerk post after some bad game. It's not, it's an accumulation of hundreds of hours of KF2, with some things which I've felt since day 1.

KF1 had hit reg issues, yes, and not just for the gun syringes, but also for the handheld. I don't miss those. But I miss the lack of autoaim. KF2 probably needs some autoaim because the models are probably somewhat skinnier and faster, but IMO it's probably too much. Regardless, this wasn't mentioned above hardly, because I don't think it's going to change. It's been like that for years now since release, so those are design decisions which whether due to consoles or whatever, are not likely to change.

Holding a spot being boring, yes, that can be boring sometimes, I agree. But mostly the problem of it being boring is because either the team is too good, or the roles aren't specialized enough, so everyone fights over everyone for the same kills.

Kiting doesn't require "no skill" - again, you're jumping to absolutes. Playing the game however you're playing it, even with a kiting medic on solo normal, requires "some skill." Compared to camping with sharpshooter or commando on HOE, it's a whole lot less for kiting solo medic, that I will argue anytime.

I will concede the point that camping in the same "best spot" on the map over and over and over is pretty bad and boring - yes. To that point, the new "Stand Your Ground" objective is probably the best addition I've seen in KF2 since release, since it encourages you to switch your holds. However, it would become better if it wasn't just an "extra stuff" but also "negative consequences if you don't try" as mentioned above. That would greatly encourage switching holds around the map, which would keep the game fresh as opposed to going to the same place over and over and over.

Ultimately the game is still fun as is, and I kite-hold-kite-hold out of necessity sometimes, which is fine and also happened in KF1 sometimes (probably less though). But it just could be better. The tendency to "do the easiest thing" is what wins in games, and the easiest thing in KF2 since release has been to kite. Which is kind of my point. It should be as difficult to kite as to hold, or at least not as easy as it is now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Usually the medics that don't heal anyone at all are low hour players that don't understand what the class they play as, and usually wind up dead first.
+ the healing xp bonus is ridiculously small, as you need to heal 120hp just to get about same xp as poping one clot.... And then people wonder why new medics are going for the kills more than heals, because leveling system is flawed for that perk since 2015.
"ze healing is not as rewarding as ze hurting"

Anyway, im done voicing my opinion on it as it was indeed impulsive.
(My attention span is quite short, and your Burj Khalifa of a post is too long for me to go through it all xD)

In a few hours someone here will definetly read it all and voice their opinion on this thread... And most likely disagree on some points.

Goodnight.

Upvote 0
I agree with almost everything here, but especially the bits on sounds. Tripwire has redone the sounds for various parts of the game several times over(most often on certain weapons, I think the 9mm got redone at least twice) and I don't want to seem entitled or ungrateful, but... Their current state feels very average to me. After playing games like the recent Resident Evil 2 remake and Metro 2033/Last Light coming back to KF2 is a bit disheartening on the sound side of things. Almost all of the necessary audio feedback is here, but a lot of it feels a bit janky or unsatisfying and if positional audio is being used it's not to great effect. I wish KF2 had the kind of audio that gave me important information about things outside of my view more often than existing just because it needs to.

As an example, if you pay attention you can hear zeds have sounds they make while moving about but you almost never hear them when they are behind you. That type of sound effect should be the loudest when the zed is the most dangerous- directly behind you. This is especially true for heavy zeds. At one time they had loud booming footsteps that you could use to roughly tell their distance and angle but that seems to have changed after one update or another. If you want to see this done right Resident Evil 2 remake's Tyrant is an expert at it- you can even tell if he's on the floor above you or not just by the different characteristics of the sound of his stompy footsteps.

And yeah player movement is kind of a problem. I think normal movement is relatively fine, even if I would rather swap sprinting for knife movement speed bonuses, but issues crop up with any perk abilities that increase movement speed beyond the default. Gunslinger can kill Scrakes with 9mm while back-stepping faster than the Scrake can keep up and reliably take zero damage in the process. Zerk and Medic can also just outrun anything dangerous. If you speed zeds up to compete with these perks, then the other perks will become too slow and get eaten from the ankles up.

KF1 largely had similar issues with movement and the problem boils down to the majority of the zeds only able to damage players in melee range. In a game about surviving swarms of these enemies you can't have all zeds easily outrun players otherwise it'd be unwinnable so movement speed is carefully balanced to make it slightly in favor of full-health players. Until the perks with movement speed bonuses come in. Solutions? You could add more long-range zeds. KF1 only had the Husk in this category and KF2 added eDARS not too long ago so zeds should be slightly tougher to simply outrun. Movement speed above default could always come with a resource to manage so players only get limited bursts of speed, maybe stamina-limited dashes instead of sprinting, more knockback guns(boomstick), or movement-based perk abilities(force grenades?).

As for kiting here's a random idea- copy and inverse the "Stand Your Ground" mechanic. Every now and again a wave will have a certain part of the map that you want to avoid instead of holding. Maybe for the duration of the wave there's a giant damaging acid puddle crossing an entire corridor, or a marked zone where dosh gets drained over time, or just a large area that lowers player move speed. Maybe weld a random door to 50%. Could mix up things a little.

Upvote 0
With over 2000 hours in the game, Medic and Berserker survivability is easily my #1 issue with the game. It's the one issue that completely baffles me why nothing has been done to address it when it clearly makes Hell on Earth games incredibly easy. You can't separate the two issues, Hell on Earth will never be balanced as long as there are perks that can survive just about anything. Games without a Medic or Berserker are MUCH more difficult unless you have a team full of really skilled players.
I mean whenever I'm playing a game and I want a nearly 100% chance of victory, like when I'm doing a weekly with pubs, or a Hell On Earth daily, I'll play as Medic or Berserker. Because I'll know, that even if my team dies, I can easily solo the wave no matter how late in the game we are as well as the boss.

If a Medic doesn't have to worry about getting overrun with zeds (since they can just kite them and/or eat the damage), it's extremely easy to keep the team alive.
If a Berserker doesn't have to worry about the damage they're taking, they can hold off ridiculously large hordes of zeds from coming after the team.
That's why if you want to carry a team, play Berserker or Medic.

IMO, to fix this they should not give Medic more armor (why does Medic need 175 armor when they have heal grenades and lower time between syringe recharges?) and higher movement speed (as they can speed themselves up with medic grenades and "Adrenaline Shot"). It baffles me why they're given MORE survivability perks when the perk itself already has built-in survivability mechanics.
For Berserker, the movement speed should be lowered (I don't mind them having higher movement speed, just it doesn't need to be as fast as it currently is, especially with damage resistance, parry and having two perk skills that regenerate health).
The health regeneration on "Skirmisher" needs to be toned down by at least half of what it is and "Vampire" should be competitive with "Skirmisher", if not merged with "Dreadnaught" and replaced with something else. OR the health regeneration/movement speed on "Skirmisher" is dependent on a successful parry.
That said, if they implemented those nerfs on Berserker, I also feel Berserker's damage should be increased a bit (to pre-Halloween patch levels). I found the damage nerfs to be unnecessary, as the issue with Berserker is their borderline Godmode survivability.

Another perk worth mentioning is Firebug. The stumble on perk weapons is ridiculously overpowered, along with the Microwave gun's alt fire. I'm planning at some point on making a video soloing Hell on Earth crouching the whole game as Firebug. It's silly.

If you don't believe me on this issue, I'd love to record this and show it to Tripwire. If you're willing to play a game with me on Hell on Earth Endless/Survival and just suicide every wave, add me on Steam (MrRogersBestNeighbor). I'm available to do this just about every night (~9pm-2am PST).
I love and appreciate how Tripwire regularly addresses problem issues in the game, but this is the most blatant issue with the game and I'd really love to have some way to show them how stupid it is. Sure people will complain about nerfing survivability. But that's what Hard and Normal mode is meant for. Practicing until you're good enough to play Suicidal/Hell on Earth. Overpowered perks just ruin the game for everyone else. Especially in the higher difficulties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HeatSurge;n2329493 said:
This might be a long post, but I'll post everything in one instead of splitting it in several different posts.
1. Electric sound (+ general comments of sound design).

2. Electricity vfx.

3. "heads"

4. Perk skills. All-positive vs "net" (increase one to decrease another).

5. Self-heal.

6. Movement.

7. Sharpshooter bonuses for crouch.

8. "Stand your ground"

Cute idea, but I get annoyed when nobody wants to bother, or only half the team is there. I would welcome a bit of evil with this system, and introduce a negative consequence for "not even trying" to defend the area.
9. Firebug is a no-aim class.

10. 10:1 crafts.

11. Reload cancellation.

Totally agree with 1, 2, 4 and DEFINITELY 5, but disagree with the rest.
1/2- The sound FX definitely need to be improved for everything non-ballistic. The sounds are incredibly underwhelming.
3- I actually like having to aim at different points for different zeds. If your aim is just concentrated at eye level with every zed, it makes the game a little more boring. I like trying to flick my aim to hit different points (which is why I feel crawlers add a lot to the game).
And zeds covering their faces adds more challenge to the game. It allows for constant improvement at the game. If every zed's head was easily accessible and every weakpoint was the head, it'd be incredibly easy to master and make the game far more boring IMO.
4- This is a big issue, but it's mostly constrained to Demo. I can't think of any other perk where it's really an issue, but Demo sees HUGE damage decreases with alternative perk skills. Your net positive and "net zero" explanation of it describes it perfectly. I can tolerate having a skill that gives me a bonus if I have to fire between siren screams. But having a damage reduction along with having the siren penalty just doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't see having that skill (to be able to fire through siren screams as necessary), but it becomes necessary when you add a penalty on top of it.
5- By far my BIGGEST issue. Addressed that in my previous post.
6- I don't see anything wrong with movement. That kinda goes with personal preference in kiting. I actually feel kiting should be necessary in the highest difficulties. Otherwise the game is just too easy when the team can easily take on what's thrown at them.
Kiting adds strategy to the game (whether you should fight off the zeds behind your team, or clear/check the pathways ahead). Also, it requires more team communication (I have "WATCH OUT!" and "FOLLOW ME" bound, mostly for kiting).
Not to mention, when you venture outside safer areas, the game becomes less predictable as to where and how many zeds will come from which direction. I like the variability.
But the biggest reason I like kiting is for the team cohesion. It's especially fun playing on custom maps that teams usually hate, but because I'm familiar with the areas, I often lead the teams to safety navigating through the maps (Spamming "FOLLOW ME" when things get crazy in the room we're in, to the next room we can hold for a bit).
If the game was simply "hold in the best part of the map" every game, I would quit. I find holding far more boring than kiting. But I generally like playing games where the team gets overwhelmed (I usually leave games if the team is ultra-competent as I find those games much more boring to play).
7- I agree and disagree. I kinda like the bonuses for crouching, although they don't make too much sense. (Usually you crouch to reduce recoil, but I can see you doing it to stabilize your gun more). The bonus to standing still while using perk weapons definitely feels like a Sharpshooter skill.
I do agree there should be an ADS bonus. No-scoping with the M99/Railgun is pretty overpowered. Especially with the Railgun reload cancel. I find myself not ADSing half the time when landing headshots, which just seems kind of silly when I'm using a sniper.
I also disagree with Sharpshooter having no or little utility while kiting. You can still find time to stand still and do a quick snipe headshot on big zeds. Kiting doesn't disable the utility of Sharpshooter. Which is specifically why I don't think having a skill that increases shooting and movement speed is necessary with Sharpshooter.
8- Definitely don't support a penalty. It's optional, I'd rather it stay that way. Especially when playing Hell on Earth Endless, when it's completely unfeasible to hold up many areas.
If you're unhappy with the team not goin' for it, use the "FOLLOW ME" command if you think the team can do it. Teams usually respond to that.
9- Disagree with that because of ground fires. If you're just firing in the general direction of zeds, you're playing Firebug wrong. You need to be aiming where you predict they'll be moving so that you get the splash + ground fire damage to kill them quicker.
I used to hate Firebug thinking it was a no-aim class, but it's actually pretty fun when you try to maximize ground fire damage with the splash.
10- Don't really care about this issue. I kind of see crafting as for those who want to buy materials to craft and sell/keep, which is fine with me. But I don't understand much of the purpose of crafting, other than it being another form of gambling, like the crates (much less so with the crates since the last update to them). I've experimented with it and I still craft, but there's only a few things that're really profitable to craft and it's not that profitable.
11- I'm mixed on this. Reload cancelling is kind of a silly mechanic, but I find it to make the game a little bit funner. It adds a little bit extra skill to the game, but kind of unnecessarily.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the "Stand Your Ground" penalty is an issue on endless. I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote the suggestion. Endless is just weird with that mechanic and the big zeds spammy later waves...

However, my proposition is for dosh-only negatives, and after wave 15 when it becomes substantially harder to do "stand your ground" objectives, you also don't really care about money generally. But it would be bad for new joiners...

But yeah, stand your ground needs to be disabled or rethought for later waves on endless. Or the rewards need to be super bumped, because currently it's extremely difficult to do later, and once everyone is "capped" for weapons on their perks and just accumulating dosh, it doesn't make sense to do it for dosh, and the other benefits are too minor for the risk.

Upvote 0
I can understand the issue with sounds because it can make you feel like something is...off....if it doesn't sound like how it ought to. Take the sounds of a minigun for example. In real life, it sounds like a buzz saw when being fired, but games tend to add this mechanical sound to it for some odd reason. Sometimes it does sound nice, but for those who enjoy the real aesthetic feel of hearing the real deal, it can become annoying.

3. I'm very iffy about your beef with headshots, because in every FPS known to man, all human like enemies best weak spot for instant death is a blow to the head. It does make it interesting and more challenging that zeds will attempt to cover their weaknesses, as it shows they have self-preservation this time around as opposed to the first game. In fact, the fleshpound used to just jog at the player when enraged like he did in KF1 during the beta phase; TW changed it so it now covers its chest and head when charging to make it harder to deal with, thus increasing the challenge and the likelihood the FP can make it to its target without getting blown away from 10 yards.

4. I'll agree that perk skills could use some adjustment to make them more competitive, as in each has their own set of positives. Only reason demo has that issue is because frag rounds decreases damage when compared to a skill that grants immunity to sirens. If the damage decrease was removed, that skill would be competitive in players deciding for more blast radius, or immunity to sirens if they're to troublesome.

5. Your argument would have a valid point if it weren't for the fact you were talking mostly about solo play...
Just about every perk is strong in solo because all zeds are at their base health and damage abilities depending on the difficulty. On multiplayer, it becomes a different story where players will take more damage than usual depending on the amount of players in the game, and those self-healing abilities can be extremely useful if you want to pull a clutch win. Just because most of the team died doesn't mean the game should fail. If a team is just that bad where most of them die each wave, they may need to change their playstyle a bit, change perks, etc to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Yeah, sometimes the game just wants you dead for no reason, but it's not often. Would you prefer the last person alive on wave 8 or 9 to just do and die just because everyone else is already dead? Or would you rather they keep fighting and try to win the game?

6. Quit being selfish....
This game has large maps and has a sprint button for a reason: TW wants people to kite around and use as much of the map as they need to. KF1 made camping in one spot easy because you could easily block zed movement by welding up doors or holding in a corner and wait for them. It also had a crap speed boost mechanic that required holding your knife out, leaving yourself unable to retaliate with a ranged threat like a husk if you're trying to retreat. With this game's dynamic spawn systems, zeds can and WILL come from anywhere. This is why camping isn't always the best strategy, especially on open maps like Nuked, Zed Landing, Burning Paris, and a few others.

This game isn't for those trying to be 'elitists'. It's for people who want to have some fun after working 9 to 5 on a daily basis. If you want to talk about entitlement, go join an Esports team.

7. SS is a bit of a disadvantage in this game due to how fast paced it us and the random movements of the zeds. Crouching can reduce recoil as well as improve accuracy, though there ought to be a bigger bonus for ADS. 10% just isn't a lot.

8. I disagree with SYG because half the time it puts the highlighted area in a spot only someone with a death wish would stand, especially when big zeds are present. Plus, the reward for doing them is rather minuscule compared to the reward you get for completing the wave. It may help you get your favorite gun faster, but when its start awarding 500 dosh around wave 7 (where fleshpounds begin to be more common), you'll effectively lose dosh if you dont survive.

Also, what's this about punishing people who dont want to stand in a death pit? Why should I lose dosh I earned killing zeds just because I didn't stand in a spot that will grant a piss-poor reward? The beauty of SYG is that it's OPTIONAL. What you suggested just punishes people who don't feel like sitting in one spot and risk death, especially if it's an enclosed location with little escape routes.

9. You're doing quite poorly at hiding the fact you get triggered that a firebug killed more zeds than you. I mean, you literally just said it ruins the loves of commando and SS. Firebug and demo operate differently from other perks as they're forms of crowd control. They dont have to operate in the level of a commando or SS because their goal is to cause as much damage and chaos to the zeds as possible, not get clean kills.

To say it takes no aim is like saying the demo or support doesn't need to aim to get their kills. Grenades and shotgun damage can kill most zeds outright, but firebugs tend to utilize ground fire the most as it offers a great damage increase while slowing down the zed. They also have to aim in front of the zeds to get most benefits out of it so they walk directly into their flames.

With that, I need to ask: did a firebug walk into your firing lane and start stealing trash kills from you before you decided to make that rant? Generally, firebugs have no reason to share a lane with commando as the two can hold their own lanes, though sometimes it becomes complicated if a group is only firing out out two sides.

And, you can take your suggestion that husks become immune to fire damage and sirens dispelling flames and shove them up the bum, because firebugs are 80% resistant to enemy flames, and fire is a good way to shut up a siren. In short, all I got from this note is that you hate firebug just because it's a better trash cleaner than commando and want it nerfed so people don't play it.

10. Dont have much of a comment since I don't craft much.

11. Reload cancelling wouldn't be a thing if it wasn't a core strategy for many perks. During the time it got removed, many people took up arms against TW so they added it back in with a few changes. Doesn't matter if it's not a fighting game, and in fact you can still cancel the reload by firing, so I dont know where you were going with that.

Reactions: s5yn3t
Upvote 0
Re: 3

FPs are quite easy to get blown 10 yards away with M32 spam currently, parried by a berserker, or (messily) random-spammed by the entire team, hopefully helped by microwave ground-ish fire + pushes.

Covering their heads just makes bullet perks mostly powerless, and it even makes it increasingly difficult for sharpshooters to get the second shot because the crouch incentive makes their vantage point even lower than other perks', so they have to aim at an even smaller section of the incovered forehead. I guess you can sit to the side, but good luck aiming at a high angle at a raging fp and not missing the shots consistently, while avoiding stalker and crawler spam...

Even if you have the mostly "clean" way of disposing of FP which is a demo, or ideally a SS rail+demo, the irony is they made even demolitionist dependent on headshots for maximum damage, so you have all these perks where so much depends on headshots, and then heads are often completely blocked.

Most of the time, in practice, this means that even with a rail shot, or accurate aa-12 unload, a FP is likely to survive and rage at a 5-6 player team, absent a demolitionist. This leads to a melee-avoiding, punchy mess, which leads to kiting.

It's fine, it works, although in a bad way IMO, and good teams can coordinate a damage spike unload before the head is covered to take FP down, but it's one of those changes that just doesn't feel good. It's not about skill really. I think once the hands are up and the FP raging, someone's probably going to get hit no matter how good people are. Then good teams will heal and regain control. It just doesn't feel good. Coupled with the ability to spawn FP already raged on suicidal+, this means that when you hear the sound of a raged FP, you know you can't do much as a bullet perk, and someone's likely to get hit and a kiting mess is likely coming.

It was similar in KF1, sometimes you couldn't do much - but you could do more.

Re: 9

I don't know what their goal currently is, but the perk feels out of place in the game, not in a good way. You can literally find a choke point and loosely spam fire at knee length an entire round, and do "very well." Try it on black forest in the circular area next to the train. You just have to move back a bit for the occiasonal poison crawler, and dodge EDARs and Husks before they walk into the fire on their own. I guess you can "take your skills to the next level" and actually walk forward and back a little bit for "trails of ground fire" - that makes finishing enemies off and avoiding gas even more trivial.

And no, it's not like demo and support, because demo and support both need headshots, especially support, to reach maximum efficiency, and demo has huge downsides against trash and close range, and is significantly more ammo-limited, so that makes the med-high range efficiency and aoe more "ok" (even though I'd say that's another "might be too easy" perk in some circumstances).

Unfortunately, playing the AOE weapons of firebug is both OP and dull. It's not a surprise much fewer players use the MAC-10 and dragonbreath. They're simply more difficult to use than FT/MW, and they make skills like heatwave less useful to the point of it being nearly useless, which is otherwise a very powerful skill with FT/MW.

Again, I'm not sure what the solution is. An easy "knee-jerk" way of "trying to balance" the spam is probably to reduce FT/MW ammo. That would make the damage vs ammo perk decision probably more meaningful, especially since the ticks depend on ground fire more than direct damage from what I understand. It would also make the perk even more dull due to lessened impact damage of non-aoe weapons, so even less of an incentive to choose MAC-10/DB.

What's probably needed is some kind of more thorough rework of firebug, perhaps a weakness the same way that crawlers and stalkers are a weakness of demolition. All classes have at least one weakness, and firebug really has none.

Husks' immunity, or at least high resistance to fire makes even thematic sense, considering they're "made of fire" - it never made sense that they're "burning" and taking damage to me. They're already burning... The impact damage from bullets is fine. That would probably make bullet weapons more attractive as well.

Sirens' screams clearing fire would introduce at least another minigame to play in addition to "push the button when there's something there while aiming in the general direction," and would be very similar to sirens destroying explosives. Same thing for impact damage from bullets - it should remain as an incentive to use the bullet side of firebug.

If those changes, after testing to verify whether they work or not, make people stop playing firebug, that's probably fine, since something is probably necessary to be done to make firebug more interesting, probably more than any other class.

Except survivalist, but I didn't even mention that fiasco, because it's obvious that the state of it is an unfinished experimental class at the design stage, at best. If it's left the way it is, without a mostly ground-up rethinking, it's probably going to remain a novelty class without serious use.

Re: 11

I wasn't aware it was ever enabled. I'm curious what the rationale for complaining against it is. Do people really like pressing buttons for the sake of pressing buttons? Why not make it a quick time event for "added gameplay" in that case? Pressing just one button is too simple...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3. So basically what you're saying is, you don't like getting forced to move when a big zed comes gunning for you, which is what it was designed to do?... (i.e. disrupt the teams positioning for lesser zeds to have an easier time in case it wasn't clear enough)

Also, bullet perks aren't completely useless when a FP covers his weakpoints. Commando has explosive grenades, SS has cryo bombs, gunslinger has nail bombs, support shotgun damage can still do decently against them AND they have frag grenades. As such, it's easy to make him come out of blocking and send it into hulk mode. .Plus, when he's raging, that leaves his exposed during the rage animation for a few seconds where, if you have good aim, you can pop him then and there. And even when his head is covered, a good sniper could still headshot him to death; but the key is that it's supposed to be difficult to down a fleshpound unlike previously. Against a coordinated team, it shouldn't matter; but uncooperative teams tend to fold against a fleshpound horde, and good teams have had little issues with fleshpounds even before the M32 came.

Of course, naturally, no one wants to get decked by a fleshpound (unless you're a zerk with big balls), so kiting is a good option when available. L4D for example, has the run and gun tactic infamously used on the tank since (depending on difficulty) you'll either be stunned for a few seconds or sent to the ground in the case of Expert if he hits you. I still fail to see why you have such a big issue with being forced out of position by a big zed when it was designed exactly for that purpose. And there is skill involved with kiting just an FYI: knowledge of the map means you can keep kiting backwards and kill any big zed running for you (provided the game doesn't teleport a zed in front of you).

Lastly, what is this about getting 'clean' or 'messy' kills? Clean implies that it would be easy, especially scrakes before they become enraged. But against fleshpounds? You must be kidding yourself thinking you'll always get a 'clean' kill. Those things will be in your face before you know it, and in general, you're fighting in a ruined city filled with zeds that are all about closing the distance and eating you, so this whole ordeal is 'messy' as you may call it. The only thing organized about it is staying alive long enough to finish the game.

9. Are you being serious right now?....

Many people say the Berserker is more out of place in this game than firebug, and that's because the zerk relies on melee while everyone else has a gun of some sort. However, that doesn't mean the zerk is useless; it's almost always required to have one on Hell on Earth at times, and occasionally on suicidal. Firebug may be easier to use because of its utility, but its main purpose was always to be a trash cleaner, and the best way to clean trash is to burn it. And in relation to demo and support, it IS very much like those two perks. Support does enough body damage that headshots won't really matter after a certain level, especially against gorefasts and most trash. The only thing a support would HAVE to headshot for easier kills are bloats, sirens (because of their metal cages deflecting pellets), and big zeds. Everything else can eat a bullet.

Also, did you really just say demo needs headshots? Do you really think any demo worth their salt is aiming at the head of a group of zeds when they fling a grenade at them? Sure, maybe for a bloat since they have some resistance along with scrakes and fleshpounds for impact damage from an RPG; but every other zed will get killed off very easily from an M79 or stick of dynamite. Demo has to be more stringent on its ammunition, but it's the BEST AoE perk in the game (arguably the most powerful due to this as well). Demo may have downsides with ammunition reserves unlike firebug, but at least the demo can deal with big zeds unlike the Pyro. So saying the firebug has no weaknesses is a lie in of itself. Flames don't deal significant damage to scrakes and fleshpounds, which is why firebug are often told not to deal with them (though some still try). During big zed fights, a firebug's job is to make sure the little zeds don't interfere while the others are killing their big friends, and if they do the job well, that means no surprise crawler or stalker trying to rape someone as they kill a scrake or body block when retreating from a fleshpound. I've gone games without killing a single big zed, but topped the board by roasting the trash.

Now, the question of whether playing firebug is boring is opinionated. OP? Probably, but it's very useful.

Now, no one is asking you to nerf the firebug because it's in a good spot right now; some of its weapons are not however. Being that the flamethrower is an iconic weapon for the perk, it makes sense most of the skills would be geared towards fire weapons. The MAC-10 and Dragonsbreath aren't really flame weapons; they're just an SMG and shotgun that use incendiaries, but most people don't play firebug for the MAC-10. SWATs will use it much like the dragon's breath for support, but for firebug it's optional if they decide they want a gun other than the Spitfires.

As for the two zeds you keep bringing up: Husks are still very resistant to flame weapons, but damage increase skills make it easier for a firebug to outgun a husk. They may be burning on the inside, but they're not made of fire; they're still genetically modified humans.

And as for sirens, there are three things fire needs to burn: oxygen, a fuel source, and an ignition source. Take away any of these, and the flame goes out. Now, a siren could put out a flame if it emitted a cloud of carbon dioxide every time it screamed, but it's really nothing more than a ear-piercing sound wave coming from the device in her throat. Those sound waves can disrupt the signals of grenades and make them useless, but against fire it does nothing. And since the fires from the firebugs weapons are liquid-based, her screams would have no effect on them.

So again, please stop trying to make up excuses to nerf the firebug just because you perceive it as being this 'no skill' perk just because commandos and snipers have to be more precise with their aim to get kills. The perks play differently for a reason, learn to live with it.

Upvote 0
3. The L4D comparison is extremely unfortunate. It's an entirely different game, not because of mechanics, but because of necessity (getting from point A to point B). KF has attempted this, with escort maps and objective maps, the latest being santa's workshop, and that does change the game dynamics and gives you a reason to actually move around the map.

However, the A->B removed, the by-far best tactic in L4D when the "endless" mode came out (it's been years since I played it, but I was playing versus pugs for a few hundred hours in the original before the less exciting sequel came out) used to be pushing all 4 of yourselves into a corner and spamming shotguns without moving an inch. I remember you had to hold the direction buttons to be in the same position, because the game had an overcome-able "force" to push you out of each other's models, but it wasn't impossible unlike KF2, just "elastic."

So, tanks, anything, whatever - just force yourselves into a totem of shotguns into a corner in a room and spam. Yes, someone gets hit that way, but it's way safer and way more effective than trying to do some kind of kiting - even with good players.

Of course, versus changes that with human intelligence, even though, had it not been for again A->B gameplay, shotgun corner totems would probably still be the best solution by far.

There are "clean" and "messy" takedowns in KF2. The "clean" kills I consider takedowns with a plan (ss headshot+demo follow-up, or team-coordinated aa12-spam), or aa12+demo follow-up, or something to that effect). The "messy" kills I consider panic shots where people ignore their targets and literally the entire team converges to kill some raging fp/sc, because there's no plan or the plan doesn't work because it's too weak, resulting in either distraction and death due to ignoring of anything else except big zeds, kiting, or combination of both.

Yes, good teams can overcome the more punishing aspects of KF2 - like I said, it just feels unpleasant to have to either body shot or miss 70% of your shots to metal because someone raged a fp without a finisher - or because it came raged out of the spawn. Good teams won't rage big zeds without a plan, but the mechanic of covering heads, especially during FP rage, just feels too much and too cheap.

I don't really miss the boring one-spot camping without moving of KF1 before husks. Even husks didn't break that up much. But I also miss being able to headshot consistently.

In my opinion, sc/fp aren't designed to force you out of position, as much as provide a timing/aiming under pressure challenge for SS, as well as perhaps for demolition.

There are now zeds which are specifically designed to force you out of position. Elite crawlers explode with gas making camping in a corner less attractive. EDARs and Husks shoot at you from a distance, and especially EDARs can be devastating if you don't dodge. SC/FP should be very dangerous, yes, especially without a plan. But they should be able to be shot while running. Scrakes already are, I have no problem with them as they are whatsoever. My problem is really FP. Notably, small FP don't have that issue - just large FP, where it's compounded because they have the most health in the game.

9. Berserker is fine. It requires accurate aim, headshots, knowledge of swings, movement, and timing for parrying to really play well. You can spam body shots, but you'll be less efficient and probably die more without a medic, even with the bonuses. I don't really have a problem with that at all.

Support headshots are a necessity. Even if using the penetration skill, lining up heads is plenty entertaining and a good challenge. Like berserk, you can spam body shots, but that's very low efficiency - both because of ammo economy, and swarming because of time to kill on higher difficulties. Support really shines with headshots, like all other perks.

Yes, even demolition. If you haven't noticed, there's an entire skill dedicated to headshots. You get it at level 20 because it's the... one that requires most skill? :) I'm talking about "armor piercing rounds." Yes, that's bonus entirely for headshots.

And yes, that skill encourages you to headshot fleshpounds, where if done right, the damage matters very much. Again, since one of the main reasons to have a demolitionist is to counter fleshpounds, it's a bit awkward that they are less efficient when a raging FP is running at the team. Yes, M32 works just as well then, but at the cost of precious ammo, time, team panic, and chaos.

Saying firebug's weakness is big zeds. Um yes, kind of. In theory. In practice, heatwave, microwave push, and the general fire panic makes it too easy to avoid hits while the rest of the team picks up the slack, although in a probably "messy" way. Expending an entire microwave mag and a molotov, I think you can even finish a scrake, at least, all by yourself. Although a bit chaos-y, costly, and generally not recommended. So firebug is more or less "point and click" for just about anything.

And yes, flamethrower is so iconic that the entire perk was reworked from a perk with a purpose with a low impact damage, DOT-dependent high-range flamethrower in KF1, which had some weakness to mid-zeds at close range due to the low impact damage of the flamethrower, and quite a high weakness to large zeds (much higher than currently with all the "protections" from heatwave and microwave) to a close-range "mopping" perk full of weird panic and stumble ideas which is encouraged to awkwardly kite some range from the team to do DOT?

It's probably precisely because of the range nerf that they feel that the DOT needs to be so powerful with all the ground fire stuff that... does more damage than the weapon itself...

It's probably too late to return to that, unfortunately, but KF1 firebug overall probably had more purpose and thought behind it, although it wasn't perfect either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And yet L4D essentially delivered some of the base mechanics you end up seeing in many other games that came after, especially in reference to zombie survival horror games. KF2 is more like a typical FPS shooter, but you can draw some comparisons to L4D in it. Also, it's called 'Survival' in L4D, and camping in a corner was so much of a good tactic in that game until a tank showed up.
In L4D2,
the Spitter was created to force players out of camping spots, chargers were the next best thing to force survivors to move around (or into a death pit), and this was the entire schtick of the Jockey if players fail to spot them in time. Raging scrakes and fleshpounds work to the same mechanic in that no one wants to get a grinder or chainsaw shoved down their throat if they don't move. Only an idiot on L4D would sit a corner if a tank showed up because he would pummel you to death without you ever being able to do anything to him (unless you get lucky and manage to kill him). In fact, this was an easy way to get a whole team wiped if he manages to corner everyone in the same spot, so your strategy will immediately fall flat if the tank gets too close. That's why whenever a tank wave shows up in the finale, the group will always split up ensure the whole team doesn't die if someone gets incapped.

But for some reason you seem to be almost allergic to the thought of a massive enemy providing enough defense and speed that would effectively force you to change tactics by getting out of your comfort zone and run to avoid getting slaughtered like sheep. You say you have no issue with every other zed that can force you out of position, but have a problem with FPs specifically. Based on what you said, and given that fleshpounds could cover their weakspots since early in the game's development, it really sounds like a problem that can be described as....

Git....Gud….

If someone else as a commando, SS, support, GS, or SWAT can kill a raging monster on the move, but you have to stand still to do it, then that's clearly a problem with your playstyle that needs to be fixed. This game isn't like KF1 where camping in a spot was usually the best strategy. And if you think the big zeds were designed to force you out of position, then go ahead and ignore one (especially a fleshpound) when it shows up. The fact you have to even shift positions when one lumbers towards you means they're working to keep you tunnel visioned as a little friend of theirs sneaks up behind you. I'm betting the only reason you don't have an issue with QPs is because they don't cover their weakspots while they jog towards you, but they're still difficult to get away from if you're not a speed-boosted perk. So seriously...learn to kill raging fleshpounds and you won't have any issues. It's possible with just about any perk, and you WILL take a hit from it no matter what, so the sooner you accept that, the better your games will be.

As far as 'clean' and 'messy', it usually goes down to the SS popping a scrake single handedly, or the demo getting that first RPG shot because FPs are most vulnerable to explosives. A good demo can wipe 3 fleshpounds at once by himself if he's not aggroed to any fleshpounds. In general, there's no planning when it comes to dealing with big zeds other than the perk that is best suited to kill them is expected to go their job while everyone else makes sure to not interfere. Converging fire is a valid tactic if the entire team can make it quick, but of course, like you said, it works if no one leaves the small zeds unattended to. Seriously, you're sounding way too egostistic for your own good. If you have to shoot the chest, do it. It still takes damage; may not kill them quicker, but Fleshpounds have two critical areas.

I also disagree with you in terms of EDARs. Husks can be very damaging, especially the higher the difficulty, but Eds are more of a nuisance. I'd say only the Trapper Ed is a real threat because they hold you still while other zeds converge to eat your ankles.

9. A good zerk who knows how to parry, when to engage and when to retreat, and of course, being somewhat accurate with hitting the head when necessary will survive plenty without a medic. I've done it before, and so have many others to the point some say the zerk's self healing needs a nerf.

A support gets up to 300% penetration by lvl 15, which is more than enough in some cases. By 25, the increased pen skill is pointless with 500% as your passive. Plus, your shotgun damage as you level up goes to the point you'll effectively floor nearly every zed in the game outside of the ones I mentioned before, especially if carrying an M4, AA-12, boom/doomstick, and HZ-12 (plus you'll usually have the increase damage skill active because you only ever need 150hp if you just die a lot). So no, they don't need to rely on headshots all the time.

Oh, and about the Armor Piercing Rounds for Demo? Um....a fleshpound has TWO weakspots: head and chest core. The skill deals 50% more damage to CRITICAL areas, and those two are what you aim for. Most of the time, demos will aim for the chest when the FP isn't raged because the chest is a bigger target; they'll aim for the head if he charging at them, but it's still tricky because more often then not the RPG will impact the gauntlets but still do decent damage. Sometimes, the explosion inflicts damage to both areas and results in a faster kill, though that may be a bug. Also, you really shouldn't be using an M32 on Fleshpounds because the RPG just does the job better on a per shot basis. The M32 however, is good against QPs who have less hp and a good trash killer. And another thing about AP rounds, most of the bosses have at least 2 critical spots: King FP has the head and chest; Hans has the head, the center of his backpack and his little chest core, Patty has two with his head and the organic side of his body; the only exception is King Fatass who only has his head but his armor takes a lot to get rid of.

And yes, big zeds are a Pyro's weakness because they do not have the ability to deal with them quickly. Causing them to stumble around does more harm than good, so it's advised they don't bother them and let someone else do it. Just pushing them back doesn't help much, and half the time it only delays an inevitable death. However, TW is redoing the panic priorities for zeds so they they'll be easier to kill when set on fire. You really seem to have to hard time appreciating a perk that can keep a takedown from being interrupted by clearing all trash in the area, and it's rather ironic given your username.

Upvote 0
Corner camping worked wonderfully for tanks as well, at least in L4D1. They never solved it in L4D1, but attempted to solve it in 2 by introducing spitter, which is the same idea as the elite crawlers in KF. Not so much by buffing tank health I think, and definitely by not introducing "tank armor" when the tank gets shot, forcing players to shoot its legs or something. Because that would make that interaction probably less fun. I didn't really get into L4D2 because the engine just never felt right, probably due to console compatibilities, and IMO it lost a lot of its character and edge compared to the first one, in a way. The similarities are unfortunate with KF2 as well, with a somewhat more mass market art and feel, even though they're really quite different games, and KF came out years before L4D. Although maps like The Descent, Power Core, Krampus Lair (even with the unfortunate long straight corridors), have at least some of the good feels, in a way. But KF2 went full silly. An unfortunate direction which probably needs no discussion since that's one thing which is for sure never going to change at this point.

By the way, "corner" camping is alive and well in KF2 too - even with a theoretical higher danger because of more ranged enemies, and AOE enemies like elite crawlers and husks. In practice though, there was an interesting experiment where someone suggested to camp underneath the broken elevator in the shaft watery space on shopping spree. It sounded like a terrible idea, but it basically converted the map to a "perk training" map. Of course, it assumes a zerkwall/medic, and some decent class selection for AOE spam, but we were able to go pretty high on endless even with a somewhat average team with quite low effort. In many ways, this is reminiscent of the guard tower area in Prison, the raised circular area next to the train at the top of the map on Black Forest, etc.

Some people might not have a problem with it. It's even refreshing to play without effort sometimes. But it doesn't make for fun gameplay. I think in large part more people don't do it is because newer players don't understand what's possible in the game because they're afraid, they haven't tried it, don't understand it, or the team lacks even the tiny amount of teamwork it requires.

As far as the other things, I didn't post asking for advice on how to play the game. I can play the game wonderfully, without issues. I can takedown fleshpounds just fine with a variety of perks. I can kite well and solo dead waves with berserk (self-heal kite hero?) after a "team" dies playing solo games on the same server in different parts of the map.

All those issues aside, what it comes down to is - is the gameplay element fun? In my opinion, the gameplay elements I've presented have problems which make them un-fun. Or not as fun as they could be.

And yes, you can "deal with it." People can deal with many things and make many things work. You can probably knife the Abomination to death from full health while playing sharpshooter with a dead 6-person team on HOE. A lot of things are possible and doable. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, that it's fun (for most people, maybe some people enjoy that stuff), that it makes sense, that it flows well, that it fits.

But, given the suggestions above, I think ultimately the entire game would become better.

My suggestions aren't necessarily making the game easier or harder either, just different. I think it's a good mix of mechanics where players have too much power, and where players don't have enough power.

Altogether, this late in the game lifecycle, I realize this is probably a dream, therefore the post title. Realistically, it's been a while since, other than new, questionably balanced weapons on top of occasionally rickety perk skills, full of many non-choices, the game has really received a deeper facelift.

But hey, at least after all this time, another visually fun but gameplay-wise "un-fun" skill will be reworked to cause stun instead. I'd argue most stumble/fall skills were a bad idea to begin with, as evidenced by their extreme lack of popularity as skill choices in perk trees, but unfortunately I fear it's too late for that as well. Hopefully they'll see in the survey the choice between damage or just about anything else positive versus stumble is a non-choice every time. Kill the specimens vs make them harder to kill for you and your team... what a decision.

Ironically, what else? %up / %down "balancing."

Unfortunately, the numbers are probably about right as they are (except player movement speed, see above). The qualitative nature of the mechanics is what needs attention, which given TW's focus on other games, is understandably lacking.

But, KF2 is overall very fun as it is. I came back to it after a while, noticing pretty much nothing has qualitatively changed over the last 3 years, other than rioters, mini-hans/mini-patriarch EDARs, and an enlarged bloat boss which encourages even more kiting than I thought was possible - all changes I don't really like, but I still find the fun in it. It just pains me that it could've been so much better.

Maybe KF3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course, it's easy to build a camping spot in everyone does their part (and like you said, it typically involves a zerk wall); but even so, this game is much more fast paced for it to be used for every strategy. It can work so long as everyone does their part, but when teammates start to die off, it becomes much harder to hold a position and it's often better to make a retreat and kite around to ensure you can make it to the next wave. There's nothing wrong with needing to move if you have to, and a massive horde or big zeds in general will often enforce this because they pose that much of a threat.

And...if you didn't have a problem killing fleshpounds, why did state this?

"But they should be able to be shot while running. Scrakes already are, I have no problem with them as they are whatsoever. My problem is really FP. Notably, small FP don't have that issue - just large FP, where it's compounded because they have the most health in the game."

You said it yourself that you head issues with fleshpounds due to their charging animation, and if you really take them down 'wonderfully', then why even say this? Now, I'll admit that QPs give me issues largely because it's hard to get away from them if you aren't a speed booster perk. But even so, FPs don't give me much issues because I expect to get hit, and learned to parry to avoid losing 40 hp from it.

Your suggestions have thought to them, but that doesn't make them fundamentally sound for the good of a game, especially if it involves nerfing a perk over trivial means.

I like the game for what it is now, and aside from that time TW thought it was a good idea to nerf all T4 weapons to tier 3, I don't have any issues. I even like the new gimmick where fleshpounds will rage when spawned because it effectively means there's going to be a leeroy Jenkins on the zed team who will end up dead without causing too much trouble. It's difficult to pick off big zeds if they're in a group, but when one runs ahead of his support, they're free game. And there's the abomination, but he's annoying because his armor is ridiculously tough and explosions and fire only target those even if he loses a piece.

But aside from that, I can't find much I'd change from it without being overly drastic.

Upvote 0
I'm saying it because it increases difficulty without enjoyment from overcoming the difficulty, which is kind of what the post is getting at.

I probably want the difficulty to come from having to make multiple shots faster at multiple targets, or have to aim better, rather than participate in timing minigames.

In other words, probably shooting a "swarm" is what I'd prefer rather than playing "whack-a-mole."

So, I'd rather have to shoot 5 fleshpounds running at me from different directions with their faces uncovered rather than one running at me with its face covered. That's kind of what it's all about.

Or maybe think of making them run while dodging, and not in a straight line (kind of like the head bobbing and twitching which I have no problem with because I feel like it maintains demands for skill while not taking away from the satisfaction of making shots happen).

It just "feels bad" to shoot metal rather than shoot faces. Like I say, I'd rather shoot at better AI or more zeds with their faces uncovered, rather than stupid linear AI or fewer zeds with their faces covered by metal.

I recognize changing the AI or redoing the wave counts is probably a tall order this late in the game's development, where it's probably more being maintained than developed this way, so this is probably more for KF3 either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0