• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How Many Perks are Too Many?

Random Nobody

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2018
The number of Perks has officially doubled from 5 in the mod that started it all to the current 10 perks in Killing Floor 2. I don't know about you but I don't want it to double again to 20 perks in Killing Floor 4. So how many perks is too many?

I think we should stick to somewhere between 5 to 10 perks. We can just make the perk system more flexible to include new weapons, game mechanics, and play styles as they come up. Maybe make Skills not be mutually exclusive and let players pick any combination of 5 out of 10 Skills.

Or have Skills and bonuses that are shared by multiple perks and level up separately from Perks so that you can tweak a park's play style a little more. Like have a single speed boosting skills for Beserkers, Gunslingers, Medics, and Survivalists that levels as you run and Sprint instead of one speed boost that levels as you use melee weapons, a second speed boost that levels as you use hand guns, a third speed boost that levels as you use medics guns, etc. Or a single extended magazine skill and a single max ammo per gun boosting skill.

What do you think? How many Perks should there be and how much should they overlap each other? How flexible should each perk be or how rigid should their playstyles be?

Killing Floor 4? I'd honestly be impressed to see Tripwire go so far! Not to mention that I'm struggling to see what could warrant a new game, let alone TWO.

To answer your question however, I don't think we should fix ourselves a limit as long as we have something new to offer. If they ever come up with a new,creative idea for a perk... I'd welcome it, hell, I'd embrace it! A new melee-focused character for example, who prioritize strong and precise melee attacks instead of tanking with a flurry of hits like the Zerk.

I mean, look at the GS and the sharp : they used to be a single perk, yet got divided to great results. They are both focused on careful aiming, yet their playstyles are really different.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
What missing_trigger said.

I can still see 2 completely unique perks, btw:

1) Urban Ninja - A perk that Tripwire was planning to do, early on. Where the Berserker is more tanky and uses brutal weapons, this could be a more rogue-esque melee that could specialize in mobility, midrange weaponry (like throwing blades, bows, dartguns, bolas etc) and fitting melee (Katana, Kusarigama, Spears, Claws etc). Decoy grenade maybe? Bonus damage attacking enemies in their back?

2) Engineer/Scientist - Support perk that specializes in traps (not necessarily turrets though, as those could get way too cheezy), debuffing guns (like Freezethrower, moving it over to this perk, crossperk with Hemogoblin, the KF1 Zed Guns etc) and other various high-tech ideas. Gravity grenade (pulling in enemies to the spot)? Easier to CC and such.

Upvote 0
Imo the Survivalist should be able to deploy traps to make them distinct from other classes (and justify the "survivalist" moniker).

The issue with the C4 is its low ammo count and cost to its AoE which is completely overshadowed by the CC capability of all the other Demo's 2ndary weapons, if you had to choose between the HX-25 and C4, chances are you are better off with the HX-25. I mean ffs you can't even take out a FP with C4s without blasting (pun intended) through your entire C4 reserve.

Traps would ideally be those that inhibit Zed movement en masse (like a bard wire fence) or apply effects like bleeding, poison, burning or freezing (like a trip mine, pipe bombs, napalm lance).

Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2328208 said:
Traps would ideally be those that inhibit Zed movement en masse (like a bard wire fence) or apply effects like bleeding, poison, burning or freezing (like a trip mine, pipe bombs, napalm lance).

Well, it's nothing the grenades aren't capable of... Yes, it needs your input. And maybe it wouldn't strike an area as large. But the basic idea is already there.

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2328203 said:
and how effective would it be?

demo has c4 which counts as a trap capable weapon, but barely anyone uses it.

Because Demo has to actively detonate it, and this game is faster paced than KF1. Still I like to use C4 a lot and I got really good at it.
If your team is a bit organized it's a really good strategy. You just need to communicate.

A simple: "Please draw the FPs to the C4 HERE." is enough. Unless you get a really noob team, which means you won't survive long anyway.

But the traps I was thinking of would be automatic and have charges, so you would need to repair OR replace them, instead of playing passively.

It would be a versatile perk with different traps for different Zeds, Big or small. And you would also have a weapon capable of dealing with smaller zeds, ofc.
Such a perk would be hard to balance, indeed. But once properly worked on, it would be a very fun one to use, methinks...

Upvote 0