• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

only ONE resolution option, NO way to change it -- no other options

FMBLZWLF

Dec 9, 2018
I have a technical problem that neither Google nor Steam have been able to fix. I've tried Steam Launch options, alt+enter, fiddling with the KF2 inis, fiddling with graphical options outside of the game, updating my drivers, etc.

Since the last few updates, KF2 *ONLY shows/uses 1080p resolution. The dropdown shows no other options anymore.* I play most games at 720p or higher because my computer is a french fry at best. I get FPS dips below 30 when there's lots of zeds and players...which is a lot. Open to any and all suggestions that will allow me to use *any resolution below 1080p.*

basic specs below:

laptop

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

DX12

Nvidia GEForce GTX 765M, 2gb vram (render)

Intel HD Graphics 4600 ("display", integrated, KF2 does not use this or it wouldn't even run)

Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHZ (8 CPUS)

***sidenote to the devs...it'd be nice if every single update didn't reset settings resulting in everything going back to default/issues like this...I like my settings left well alone, thanks.***

Any help is very much appreciated.

Let me correct myself, I must have been high on sleep deprivation when I typed that; !*NONE*! of the .inis are set to read-only, period. And Denks, I already tried the method suggested in the link; my .inis changes get ignored completely and the .inis seem to completely reset on game launch.

Foster Parent, again, only 1080p and 16:9 show up as options. I've checked the dropdowns. I've tried moving my cursor over the empty space and clicking. I've tried going up and down with the keyboard. Not a darn thing works.

Upvote 0
There might be a chance that in the nvidia driver options, there's only one available resolution. (I had an issue like that with other game, because my rig had a ghost driver for another gpu, so i had fresh install a new one.)

Have you tried to just delete whole kf2 folder in my docs and let the game create a new one and see if that helps?

​​​​​
Foster Parent
​​​doesn't the game have some odd issues with mobile gpu's?
If i recall like what 2015-2016, there was a post about specifically M gpu's being either unsupported or barely supported. ( or im just losing my mind because i currently have a flu x) ). But something about that was said.
​​​​​

Upvote 0
FMBLZWLF;n2327894 said:
Let me correct myself, I must have been high on sleep deprivation when I typed that; !*NONE*! of the .inis are set to read-only, period. And Denks, I already tried the method suggested in the link; my .inis changes get ignored completely and the .inis seem to completely reset on game launch.

Foster Parent, again, only 1080p and 16:9 show up as options. I've checked the dropdowns. I've tried moving my cursor over the empty space and clicking. I've tried going up and down with the keyboard. Not a darn thing works.

That sure sounds like read only. If this is a mobile GPU/laptop, is it possible that the laptop itself will only run in native resolution for that screen?

Upvote 0
Foster Parent, I have checked several times and all .inis have !*NO*! checkmark for "read only".

Yes, I am using a mobile GPU/laptop, !*BUT*! only being able to play the game in one resolution is a fairly recent occurence: I was previously able to play in almost any resolution and with both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. I know because, previously, I would play around with settings to get the best performance and keep the most essential graphical detail while getting rid of all the fluff/stuff I hate (motion blur, depth of field, etc etc).

"Have you tried to just delete whole kf2 folder in my docs and let the game create a new one and see if that helps?" I was hoping to avoid that, but I'm going to try it next.

Denks, I tried your methods, no luck. Command console in particular doesn't change the resolution at all for me.

Upvote 0
So, I managed a fix!

I did end up deleting the KF2 folder in My Game (under Documents etc) but I'm not sure it contributed to the fix or not.

Ended up installing Nvidia driver clean install. That seemed to do the trick.

Never had to do a clean install before, though. The only thing I've changed is "Use my preference emphasizing perforamnce" since resetting my Nvidia driver to a clean install.

All resolutions and aspect ratios are showing up and working now.

Hope that helps and thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0