• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts on new Battle Axe? OP?

s5yn3t;n2328858 said:
Its exactly the same as with any other meele weapon.
just hit the parry a moment before you get hit by the zed.

Thanks s5yn3t, I will give that a try. I should have phrased that I haven't gotten the timing right. :) On other weapons (except the evis) I've gotten most of the parry and blocking (though not against husk fireballs yet) worked out.

Upvote 0
After playing for quite a few hours with the battleaxe, almost exclusively, I'm finding it kind of a necessity. Unfortunately, my feeling is that it's not OP, but the other weapons in general are UP.

The heavy smash stumble is extremely useful, and the heavy side-swings are devastating to an entire screen of anything but heavies.

It's entertaining to bounce zeds into the ground, puff them into vapor, or launch them into things.

The only downside is slow swing speed, and painfully slow weapon switch speed, but for the upsides, it's too good to pass up. For individual clots and trash, the "poke" (pushback button) is also excellent, with great damage and accuracy.

The unfortunate side-effect is that it's made berserker a "one trick pony." The slow weapon switch encourages you to... well, never switch weapons or try to heal anyone or do anything except continuous parry and damage. Which is fine, just a bit dull.

IMO it shouldn't be nerfed as much as other weapons need to be brought up a bit somehow.

In fairness, I like the zwei as well (but it feels like a lesser version of the battleaxe), and I like the pulv too even though it has become much less attractive since release.

I could never get into the fists. I'd rather have damage than shock... and for some reason I don't like the way the shield covers your view with the bone crusher and I couldn't really get into the swing types with it.

I wish the road redemption bat was more widely available, I'd like to experiment more with it without owning road redemption. I liked it the few times I used it - it felt like a better katana - high speed and probably better damage/stumble.

Upvote 0