• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do so many people rent/host servers?

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
This always makes me scratch my head..

There are so many empty servers when you go through the browser.

It's safe to say 85% of them are completely vanilla with no maps or mutators added.

Any theories on why so many people throw money at a server rental? I'm just assuming most of these are paid rental servers, and not dedicated machines people have running in their homes.

I mean, overall, it's not a "bad" thing for the game to have so many servers, but like I said, most are empty.

Pavlov's Dog;n2326290 said:
OP, why complain about a good thing? More servers = good for the average player.

I really think you only read one sentence of my post and responded. :)

The complaint isn't the fact we have so many servers.. the complaint is they're mostly vanilla. Why not at least add some of the amazing custom maps available on the workshop, instead of a thousand servers with stock maps?

"It's safe to say 85% of them are completely vanilla with no maps or mutators added."

I also specifically said it wasn't a bad thing.. so we agree the amount of servers is a "good thing".

"I mean, overall, it's not a "bad" thing for the game to have so many servers, but like I said, most are empty."

Upvote 0
People rent servers to have a server where they can have total control, and do whatever they want, especially kick the idiots out of server, have banlists, have custom content they want, play on the settings they want, and so on, and they usually let them open for people to use when they do not personally play on them. This is why there are so many open servers, it is because people share them when not using them I think.

Upvote 0
pie1055;n2326336 said:
When I use the filter that's supposed to disable custom servers it seems like over half of them still have custom maps. Dunno how OP is seeing so many vanilla ones sometimes it's difficult for me to even find one.

If I can screenshot it somehow I'll show. :D

Thanks for sharing the thoughts on this, I guess it's a little bit of everything you guys are saying.

The banlist thought escaped me, as I didn't remember having that option when I was hosting one a year ago. I just recall being able to kick with webadmin.

Putting things back to vanilla when the owners aren't messing with things is a likely scenario.

Good stuff.

Upvote 0