• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regarding survivalist and new weapon ideas

Edomaro

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Dominican Republic
It feels weird to me when people want "exclusive survivalist weaponry" that are definetly NOT some gimmicky or unique like the Freezethrower. For example, I read another post about adding some of the zed weapons as survivalist exclusive like the Gorefast Arm Blade, which felt odd... I feel like it's wasteful to "suggest" these kind of weapons that are non unique or gimmicky and definetly more fit to any other perk. A good suggestion for a survivalist exclusive would be some sort of plasma orb launcher or a toxic bile thrower sounds unique enough to have it as survivalist exclusive, but saying "add zed parts as weapons like the Gorefast Arm Blade for survivalist" shouldn't even be considered because it's a melee weapon, berserker is a melee perk, and survivalist "crossperks" with every weapon. There is no such thing as a "survivalist crossperk weapon" because that mofo earns XP with any weapon and you can't passively earn small amount of XP either like headshot bonuses for GS/SS. I don't know why, but it's a tad annoying seeing these "survivalist suggestions". What are your thoughts about it? I could well just be a whiney milenial.

Edomaro;n2326180 said:
Gorefast Arm Blade for survivalist" shouldn't even be considered because it's a melee weapon, berserker is a melee perk
There are 3 types of surv, one of them is part-zerk, part-demo/sharp. It's the only perk apart from zerk that can use melee weapons effectively. Melee-exclusive for surv makes more sense than you probably think.

Edomaro;n2326180 said:
annoying seeing suggestions... I could well just be a whiney milenial.
Well, at least you've got some self-awareness :)

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Tony;n2326184 said:
There are 3 types of surv, one of them is part-zerk, part-demo/sharp. It's the only perk apart from zerk that can use melee weapons effectively. Melee-exclusive for surv makes more sense than you probably think.

If TW makes a melee weapon for example, by default they have to make it viable for berserker or the community will flip. It's the same like adding an assault rifle, or an explosive device, or a precision weapon, etc made exclusive for Survivalist... it doesn't feel right to not have that weapon benefit from perks that are more fit to it than survivalist, if you can't see that you're kinda part of that issue. I'm positive however that Tripwire is not going to do something so unfathomable, hell... there are some that complain about the Freezethrower not being useful with Firebug, but I disagree on that, ice =/= fire so that one being exclusive makes perfect sense.

See where I'm going at? Survivalist should have unique exclusive weaponry, a weapon that doesn't look like a melee weapon, or an assault rifle, or a SMG, or a flamebased weapon, or a healing weapon, or precision weapon, or a pistol, or a shotgun, or an explosive device, why? Because not doing so Survivalist steals the identity of a main perk, a perk that is specialized in the use of that particular set of weapons.

Continuing the previous example of the Gorefast Arm Blade, what's the point of adding a melee weapon, when the perk specialized in melee weaponry can't get any benefit by using it at all? Please explain to me what possible logic could it have, that a survivalist can weild that kind of weapon to the degree that berserker doesn't even get the speed movement bonus by weilding a melee weapon? Because a perk exclusive weapon means that all other perks don't contribute at all to that particular weapon, just like the Freezethrower. If you can explain me how is it viable or how can you make that exclusiveness feel right, I will agree with you.

tl;dr Non unique weapons (meaning that they belong to the AR, SMG, Shotgun, Sniper, Pistol, Explosive, Fire or healing category) made exclusively for survivalist are an extremely bad idea, change my mind.

Upvote 0
Melee Survivalists kinda have a hard time healing and dont have anywhere near the damage resistance. Maybe adding Hans's Claws that heals you for every hit done added to the survivalist list
And woulda been neat to have the Tommy Gun being Survivalist only because it does not feel swat or commandoughy
And maybe some kinda Taser/electricity type weapon for another source of EMP damage, and maybe rework EMP to severely damage enemy shields or zeds with metal on.
-
Oh right, some kinda weaponized Jacob's ladder that can work like the Eviserator, fires off electricity with main fire and can be held out mowing through zeds with alt fire, and blocking shocks zeds with middle mouse

Last edited:
Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0
Perk that's 20% melee can have 20% of the melee weapons, it will be only fair. So surv for example can have that armblade and for example they could take evis from zerk and give it to surv exclusively. Zerk has plenty of weapons anyway, and evis doesn't really fit well in his arsenal.

All my perks are level 25, and I play all of them, using random weapons chosen with rng. So I couldn't care less which perk gets new weapons :D

Upvote 0
If you go to SteamDB and look at the upcoming items, the survivalist prestige level 3 reward is a tommygun skin. This likely means that the tommygun will be a survivalist weapon.

Take that how you will, but to me it means survivalist will be focused on suppresion over specific weapon types for the upcoming rework.

Upvote 0
Survivalist needs the melee skill to do more since Survivalists would get demolished in the kind of heavy melee fighting that a berserker would regularly rip & tear their way out of. i think something like a Perry skill suited for Survivalists. a defense buff and maybe receive no damage on a successful parry against any enemy attack and even some hit points restored. that would fit in the whole surviving part of survivalist (not like he was until he gets his healing grenade)

Survivalist weapon suggestion: EDAR Harness:
Basically the arm blasters and rocket pods of an EDAR carried by the user with a harness. primary fire being the blasters and alt with the rockets obviously. instead of reloading, it drains from a ammo pool for each weapon and the "magazine" being an overheat. but then again this idea is much too radical to be in lmao

Upvote 0
Eight Foot Robot;n2326248 said:
Survivalist weapon suggestion: EDAR Harness:
Basically the arm blasters and rocket pods of an EDAR carried by the user with a harness. primary fire being the blasters and alt with the rockets obviously. instead of reloading, it drains from a ammo pool for each weapon and the "magazine" being an overheat. but then again this idea is much too radical to be in lmao

I don't really see what it has to do with your first suggestion about melee, but that would actually be quite a neat weapon... It shouldn't rely on overheating though. I think limited ammo for players like with any weapon would be more than enough. I mean, they basically attack in salvos already so...

As for imnrk , while it's a perfectly sound theory, god I hope not. Not that I don't want more love for the survivalist, but it wouldn't make sense for HIM to get the tommygun over the SWAT (who didn't get a weapon for a long time as well).

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2326250 said:
I don't really see what it has to do with your first suggestion about melee, but that would actually be quite a neat weapon... It shouldn't rely on overheating though. I think limited ammo for players like with any weapon would be more than enough. I mean, they basically attack in salvos already so...

As for imnrk , while it's a perfectly sound theory, god I hope not. Not that I don't want more love for the survivalist, but it wouldn't make sense for HIM to get the tommygun over the SWAT (who didn't get a weapon for a long time as well).

I agree that it would fit SWAT better, and SWAT also needs weapons more than any other perk imo. Problemis I'm struggling to think up a niche the tommygun could fill it SWAT's loadout.

I would definitely prefer it as a SWAT weapon. (maybe t2 crossperk to give commando another option, but idk)

Upvote 0
imnrk;n2326242 said:
If you go to SteamDB and look at the upcoming items, the survivalist prestige level 3 reward is a tommygun skin. This likely means that the tommygun will be a survivalist weapon.

Take that how you will, but to me it means survivalist will be focused on suppresion over specific weapon types for the upcoming rework.

Dear lord, please no...

If that is true (who knows?), that means TWI literally didn't listen to anything in the many threads about how to improve the perk. That would be more than a little irritating...

There were guys who had page-long, detailed re-works for the skill trees on here for a while. They seem to have vanished, but they had some really good ideas for the perk. (my opinion, i know)

I'm not sure where TWI would come up with making it a suppression perk..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
infntnub;n2326263 said:
Dear lord, please no...

If that is true (who knows?), that means TWI literally didn't listen to anything in the many threads about how to improve the perk. That would be more than a little irritating...

There were guys who had page-long, detailed re-works for the skill trees on here for a while. They seem to have vanished, but they had some really good ideas for the perk. (my opinion, i know)

I'm not sure where TWI would come up with making it a suppression perk..

Ain't gonna lie, I've been feeling pretty much ignored for quite a while now... I'm the first to defend Tripwire's, both for their choices and their politics. But it's like they've been adding stuff upon stuff lately without really tweaking and patching what NEEDS to be corrected.

I'm in for something less straightforward for the medic, I'm for a complete rehaul of the survivalist, and hopefully some tweaks over the first two perks of the sharpie. But I guess perks are pretty much set in stone now...

Bleh. It's already a three-years old game after all. It's still pretty cool we're getting regular updates, as it seems it's becoming a rarity nowadays, where we prefer to release a whole new game instead.

Upvote 0
In my eyes, I believe that the survivalist just needs a rework in general.

Yes, I do enjoy the hybrid style it introduces to the game; being able to experiment with weapons from other perks can make this a semi-relevant perk. But in its current state, I believe that it isn't enough to be exciting to play for extended periods of time. Having these survivalist only weapons is a step in the right direction, but the introduction of the freeze-thrower made the idea a bit redundant, it just doesn't do enough for good team comp, nor is it effective solo, however the idea looks and crowd control is pretty sweet, but I digress. So I have two approaches to this situation.

The first being have the survivalist act like a recruit perk, picking at all the biggest minor issues, so that the perk trees do not hold a bias against one perk or a group of perks, so having most of these perks affecting the player passively (e.g. faster reload or larger magazine instead of 'faster reload for perk a, b, and c' or 'faster reload for perk d, e, and f') this would mean that the incorporation of a hybrid build is still present, and it doesn't majorly limit what weapons you want to use effectively.

The second would be introducing weapons only the survivalist can benefit from that bring new play styles to it. A good example could be a weapon inspired by Halo's Needle Rifle, it would incorporate a hybrid, one time ammo type for this weapon and add status effects. Or a launcher that shoots a bio-degrading orb, doing damage over time. Essentially meaning that these weapons are completely unique, they don't necessarily have a tier system (unless there are that many weapons to choose from) but require you to incorporate the upgrade system to be more effective at late game.

Upvote 0