• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Design Overhaul

KF2 is not like KF1, for the simple reason that KF2 is not KF1. You can prefer one over the other, but at the end of the day they are two completely different games with two different visions behind them.

Personally, like a lot of people here, I largely prefer the consistent and brutal design of the first game. But the gameplay is so much more varied and interesting in KF2 that I can easily look past that and just enjoy myself like a child while I shoot things.

Upvote 0
I used to be a critic of KF2, but going back to play KF1 some time ago, I realized that KF1 is punishing due to its limitations, not because of its design.

However, the one thing I still maintain against KF2 is that the perks have lost their designated role-- In KF1, the dynamics of the team composition changes according to the wave progression, map and Zed spawn, e.g. SC wave you'll see Sharpshooters emerge, FP wave you'll see Berserkers and Demolitions emerge; KF1 Medics had to estimate healing dart trajectories, KF2 Medics have auto-aim. In short, the perk selection in KF2 is more forgiving than KF1 because all perks can kill SCs and FPs; in KF1, you cannot do without certain perks, people used to have serious discussion of team composition.

It is not to say that it is necessarily a bad thing, I can certainly see where TWI is coming from in terms of not forcing roles on players, but freedom comes with the cost of "casualness"-- I don't feel as invested in KF2 compared to KF1 because it does not give me the same adrenaline rush, since KF2 is comparatively easier than KF1.

Upvote 0
bass361;n2322826 said:
KF2 should be an improvement over KF1 in all aspects and for the most part is, however the pacing is inconsistent and at times very slow. KF1 in my opinion dominates in this specific area.

Having played a lot of KF1 this week after not touching it for probably 3 years, I think it's basically a trade off.

The zeds seem larger in number, but also move noticeably slower compared to what you find in KF2. I'm not really sure if one is better than the other?

Then again, the number of zeds may be similar or the same and it just seemed like there was more coming at you in steady waves..

Upvote 0
imnrk;n2322630 said:
KF2 is not like KF1, for the simple reason that KF2 is not KF1. You can prefer one over the other, but at the end of the day they are two completely different games with two different visions behind them.

Personally, like a lot of people here, I largely prefer the consistent and brutal design of the first game. But the gameplay is so much more varied and interesting in KF2 that I can easily look past that and just enjoy myself like a child while I shoot things.

Same here.

The engine is rough but I actually like the way it played better.
I love the leveling of 2 better.
I liked the horror aspect of 1 more, however I imagine the more action you make a game the harder it is to keep horror running.
I LOVE the melee system in 2, bashes as well. Gives so much feeling of freedom to be able to push off one zed from time to time.
The music and atmosphere of 1 was miles past 2.
And I also enjoy the action over the gameplay of 1 sometimes. It really depends on what I'm feeling like playing at the time.

Upvote 0