• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why is the patriarch so stupidly weak?

xmrmeow

Grizzled Veteran
  • Mar 23, 2015
    I remember in the Early Access Patriarch seemed completely fine, if not a tiny bit too strong, but now whenever my friends and I play and the patriarch comes up as the Boss, it feels like this

MMcXRBT.png

He just gets absolutely obliterated and literally never even gets a chance to do any damage or heal up because we kill him, and even if only 2 or 3 people chase him down to finish him off they still easily accomplish this.

Idk what they did to him since EA, whether it was increasing his skill cooldowns, reducing movespeed and health, lowering resistances, and more perks that slow on hit, but something should be done. I feel like I'm beating up a poor, defenseless old man.

(edit) I play mostly suicidal, sometimes HOE

Last edited:
    All he does is run towards the center of the group, get shot by everyone whilst failing to target anyone, then slowly hobbles away to heal and gets gunned down by anyone who's fast enough to b r i s k walk towards him or whom are within line of sight. WHEN WILL HE LEARN?

The King Fleshpound is more at the difficulty level that the Geriatriarch used to be.

EDIT: why the heck is the word "b r i s k" censored?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Wat, no he definitely used to be challenging. I haven't seen Patriarch get a chance to heal since I started playing KF2 regularly again, and I've put at least 50 hours in, and it's not like I'm playing Hard or Normal.

Han's was changed to be easier as well, but he's still formidable cause he'll still use his shield 3 times regardless of whether you get rid of it, upgrading his stage each time (he is much more aggressive in later stages so this is a big difference).

So I was digging around in old patches and found that over the last year or so they reduced his health on Suicidal from 1.47x to .87x meaning his HP was almost cut in half for this difficulty, had his base health reduced 25%, melee damage reduced 60%, and a few other minor reductions. That's really extreme considering I thought he was nearly balanced when he initially came out in the Early Access...

Upvote 0
    Soooo... I'm really the only one who ALWAYS get obliterated by that asshole? His ability to shoot while walking during his last phase always gets me.

Actually, I believe the other three are quite weak. I've NEVER lost to the King Fleshpound. And probably only once or twice to the Abomination. Even Hans who used to be a pain in the ass to deal with hasn't killed me nearly as often since he got his shield.

Reactions: Bladerunner42
    Upvote 0
    xmrmeow;n2321256 said:
    So I was digging around in old patches and found that over the last year or so they reduced his health on Suicidal from 1.47x to .87x meaning his HP was almost cut in half for this difficulty, had his base health reduced 25%, melee damage reduced 60%, and a few other minor reductions.

That explains the how, but now we must know the why

Upvote 0
    It depends on how you are playing. Me as a sawblade berzerker has almost no issues with abomination and king fleshpound. They cannot kill you unless you make stupid mistakes or take the wrong skills. And I am talking about soloing 6 player hoe.
    Hans is quite okay where he is currently. Still dangerous if you take his aks or dont care about his grenades, parrying with eviscerator on the otherside counters him hard. All in all I would say he is fine, maybe a bit too easy.
    The Patriarch on the other side is very fragile and is often killed in a few seconds. Yet he is the only one out of all bosses that is able to make me play carefully. If you do not have an obstacle around and he pulls his rockets you are ****ed. That is why I would say out of the bosses he is the most dangerous one.

Upvote 0
    Obdimus;n2321353 said:
    That explains the how, but now we must know the why

It's likely due to how back in the day, Patriarch was pretty new and 'had some new tricks'. Most people were likely killed from his mortar assaults than anything else, and like Hans, people had problems killing him before he had a chance to heal, especially on higher difficulties. Some players might've also found his melee attacks to be absurd as well. It was probably the same as King Pound when he is on low health, cause one swing from him can bring you down to 10. So they cut his health down, decreased his melee damage, probably reduced the accuracy of his chaingun and made his missiles less potent.

Upvote 0
    Yes, Patty is extremely easy with groups, but I like to screw around solo on endless trying new things. Unless I have a car or some doorways to kite him around, he almost always gets me. It's not his mortars I worry about, it's his damn chaingun. I am always amazed at how quickly my armor and health get obliterated if I'm ever caught out when he spins it up. And don't tell me you can chase him down (solo) and kill him before he heals. (HoE obv)

I can't be the only one who hates Patty on solo.. Even with a duo, it's like a 50% chance of success, cuz getting caught out once with his chaingun can obliterate you in a second.

Reactions: Bluntman420
    Upvote 0
    The chaingun is still pretty strong, I've been killed by it when caught off guard, but the thing is when there's more than 2 players, he seems to not know who to shoot at and ends up hitting no one with it, then begins awkwardly charging towards the center of the group, upon which we blast and disintegrate him before he has a chance to get away and hide.

Upvote 0
    Yeah on teams of more than like 2 people, he just gets instantly obliterated. He just runs into everyone, focuses nobody, then his HP is low really quickly so he just tries to run and dies.

He has good moves, it's just he pretty much never gets past phase 1 so he never gets a chance to use them.

Upvote 0