• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Weapon Side-Grade System

liamtranzig

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
I think I was one of the first people pushing for a weapon side-grade system in Early Access. This is however not at all what I had in mind, however, I remain optimistic.

So far I've haven't been able to figure out where in the Trader menu these upgrades are supposed to be (I think mine maybe glitched)... but from what I've read they are just damage buffs that add weight without changing the physical appearance of the weapons. But to accommodate for their existence nerfs have happened across the board... making all Tier 4s into Tier 3s with the side-grade buffs putting them back up to their original power.

Here's my take on understanding it:
*This is the groundwork for a much more comprehensive system.
*This allows players to play with a weapon that feels good & invest in it to bring it to a Tier 4/5 quality.
*This also allows players to buy their favored weapon earlier & perhaps is an attempt to balance the in-game economy & diversify the character "build" over the long game.

What I'd like to see happen:
*I'd like to see more "side-grades" but they should be realistic & have, in most cases, a physical appearance on the weapon. (I understand this is the Beta & therefore I'm of course speaking regarding the future of this system)
* That fixed weapons & limited upgrades & capacity also exist. ie: That every upgrade is not applicable for every gun.

Some upgrade options:
*Scope types
*Underslung attachments
*Flashlights
*Extended mags
*Speed loaders
* Fore grips
*Extended barrels
*Muzzle dampeners
*Ammo types

In closing, I think the system has a lot of potential but it is being implemented a bit prematurely that many only see it as a nerf or complication. I'm fine if it continues after the beta but it needs depth & refinement.

I feel like without a physical change in the weapon's appearance it also breaks the immersion... as all the guns' power characteristics become negligible. (This idea was also pertinent in the "Rioter" reskin- when we as players ask, "Why can he survive 7-10 headshots?!" - you all said, "-BAM- *new design* -while he's wearing a titanium football gear! Duh!")

This reminds me a bit of the Zed Weaknesses update... in fact it might he nice to see these two ideas come out in a single reworked & refined update alone.

Scrublord;ne2319589 said:
It's not quite like the zed weaknesses update; both of them had a lot of people feeling very dramatic and threatening to leave, but resistances did actually make the game pretty distinctly and unavoidably awkward to play, while upgrades are -basically- optional.

Yes, but the comparison was more about that the system wasn't fundamentally a bad idea just poorly or partially implemented causing a surge of discontent. Lots of people find the side-grade system upsetting because it costs more overall, gun-looter trolling is on the rise, & there is no visual improvement or rationality other than more weight=more damage. That & with 'reload cancelling' & 'quick impact parry' getting axed the system is taking some hard ridicule.

I found the rejection of the zed weakness idea similar because I believe it too is a system that had a lot of potential but fell flat because people failed to understand it or see how it could improve. If it had been better implemented with visual cues, in-game context/tips, & other such affects it probably would have went over better. That's also why I brought up the Rioter; it was just ludicrous before - you could demolish his head to a bloody skull & he'd still be rallying the horde- now at least we see that he has armor on his upper body.

Speaking of awkward gameplay, until I can find the right file to wipe & redownload- I'm stuck without the possibility of weapon upgrades. I'm nerfed across the board! :p

Also the new EDARS are kind if cool because they don't need their heads... and their weak points seem to be their joints.

Upvote 0