• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

5 Tier weapon system instead of damage upgrades

PainKiller66

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2016
Just rework Tier system to 5 Tiers. So Railgun and RPG would be Tier 5, new Barrett M99 and M32 Tier 4,
etc. Adding numbers to damage looks cheap. All guns were (almost) perfectly balanced and had it's role.
You might ruin all with this. Guns customization in terms of choosing scopes, lasers
and other attachments would be cool tho.

Last edited:
We havent even tried it out and people are complaining already.
dmg increase is just the 1st step, maybe along the way it will lower the recoil, add AP rounds to deal with armored opponents and so on.

Would be nice if we had a closed beta of this change to see how it plays out and give a feedback on how it would change the meta.

Reactions: PurpleFanta
Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2318234 said:
We havent even tried it out and people are complaining already.
dmg increase is just the 1st step, maybe along the way it will lower the recoil, add AP rounds to deal with armored opponents and so on.

Would be nice if we had a closed beta of this change to see how it plays out and give a feedback on how it would change the meta.

its not due for another 3ish months.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2318251 said:
its not due for another 3ish months.

im aware, but i mean having a select group of people testing upcoming system like a month before the preview build to see how it affects the meta.
Since we are most active here, im sure we'd give a nice feedback on the system... and also maybe trusted individuals in the cancer zone known as steam hub :D

Upvote 0
The M32 is definitely a T5. No need to see it in action to figure it out.

Other than that : yes, I think I'd like that more than the upgrade system, which could reaaaally **** up the balance of the game. Then again, we don't really want weapons that wreck absolutely everything, which is also probable with an extra tier.

(Unless the actual T4 becomes a T5 and we get some sort of in-between)

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2318287 said:
The M32 is definitely a T5. No need to see it in action to figure it out.

Other than that : yes, I think I'd like that more than the upgrade system, which could reaaaally **** up the balance of the game. Then again, we don't really want weapons that wreck absolutely everything, which is also probable with an extra tier.

(Unless the actual T4 becomes a T5 and we get some sort of in-between)

I mean if they go with a plan to move t3 weapons and nerfing them accordingly to that tier (for now dmg wise), it doesn't change much since you will be able to upgrade it and go with same loadout that you're used to for hunders of hours.

For me it opens a bit more freedom of loadout choosing, either go classic or upgrade your fav weapon to be competitive or even better than its higher tier class. (imagine dbs power from t2 to t5, i already run only 2 shotguns as support because i have enough ammo and more to pass through a wave on hoe, which last slot gets used for rpg.)

So only thing i don't understand currently is why people blow such huge bubble over the upgrade system if ultimately it won't change much but add more options to use lower tier weps in their upgraded state... and dosh is not even an issue when you have 1k or more to throw around.
Ofc they can slightly increase dosh reward per zed so that it would be easier to upgrade weapons and also have some to spare if a slow poke didn't bail from fleshpound raid on time.

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2318294 said:
I mean if they go with a plan to move t3 weapons and nerfing them accordingly to that tier (for now dmg wise), it doesn't change much since you will be able to upgrade it and go with same loadout that you're used to for hunders of hours.

For me it opens a bit more freedom of loadout choosing, either go classic or upgrade your fav weapon to be competitive or even better than its higher tier class. (imagine dbs power from t2 to t5, i already run only 2 shotguns as support because i have enough ammo and more to pass through a wave on hoe, which last slot gets used for rpg.)

So only thing i don't understand currently is why people blow such huge bubble over the upgrade system if ultimately it won't change much but add more options to use lower tier weps in their upgraded state... and dosh is not even an issue when you have 1k or more to throw around.
Ofc they can slightly increase dosh reward per zed so that it would be easier to upgrade weapons and also have some to spare if a slow poke didn't bail from fleshpound raid on time.

its just the fear that such a huge change will make everything, or most things, worse.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2318299 said:
its just the fear that such a huge change will make everything, or most things, worse.

Like the resistance balance change introduced with Patriarch (rip commando at that time :D)
Honestly its not yet that drastic of a change that has already "fail-safe" in mind, and yet people already going full panic mode.

People, just embrace the change.
Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with s5yn3t, but I still think this could use more testing then a preview beta. I worry that they'll add more changes to a weapon then just damage and weight, which would make the game more of a RPG then a simple arcade shooter, the latter is the reason I love the game. But it'll be a while until we can test it so I guess we have to wait and see.

Upvote 0