• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which Thompson are we voting for?

Servalion

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2017
Name says it all. This thread is sorta out of desperation since my mention of the poll oversight has gone unnoticed elsewhere. I tried contacting Kittenmittens when I noticed them on, only to find that Direct Conversation and PMs.....seem incomplete. I can't type in them at all. Maybe it's something on my end, dunno. So I decided to make a new thread on it to basically say "Hey, look at me!", because I'm not sure what else to do.

So here's the issue once again - the poll is too vague on which Thompson we're voting for. "Tompson SMG" doesn't tell us enough, since KF1 had 3 different Tommys. I doubt "Dr. T's Lead Delivery System" (what a mouthful) is a possibility to come back, so it really boils down to whether we're voting on the original base game Thompson M1 (which is sorta pointless with the UMP present), or the 1928 "Rising Storm" Tommy (which is definitely the one everyone wants). My concern is considerable, since we really have no clue which we're voting for, and clarification on the issue could have significant impact on the vote.

I don't know if the poll can be updated to reflect this, but this could really use some sort of official response.

What about the Thompson Prototype from 1919, nicknamed the "Annihilator" ? That would make a fantastic flip-back to the habit of Killing Floor to use very high-tech (or downright futuristic) weapons!

Either way, I don't think we should get the drum mag this time around. We already got the P90 as the SMG with huge mags. So actually having a 20-rounds SMG that packs a lot of punch would be great!

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2318108 said:
What about the Thompson Prototype from 1919, nicknamed the "Annihilator" ? That would make a fantastic flip-back to the habit of Killing Floor to use very high-tech (or downright futuristic) weapons!

Either way, I don't think we should get the drum mag this time around. We already got the P90 as the SMG with huge mags. So actually having a 20-rounds SMG that packs a lot of punch would be great!

The UMP-45 already does this though.

I think the 1928 Thompson with a drum mag would be a nice tier 4.

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2318132 said:
The UMP-45 is a T3 though. I was mostly thinking about a T2 or even T1.

Because honestly, how different from the Vector would a drum-fed Thompson even be?

The Vector fires 9mm rounds, while the Thompson uses harder hitting 45. ACP, meaning the Thompson would do higher damage then the Vector, but the Thompson shoots alot slower, it's between 700 to 800 RPM versus the Vectors blistering 1200RPM. So performance wise the Vector's DPS would probably be a bit better then the Thompson, making it better at killing bigger zeds, like scrakes, while theThompson would be better at substained fire due to its 50 round drum mag, thus being a better trash killer.

Here's both of the irl weapon wikis i used to compare them:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISS_Vector (The in-game Vector uses 9mm ammunition judging by the 33 round magazine)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

Upvote 0
RaNdOmKiLs666;n2318144 said:
The Vector fires 9mm rounds, while the Thompson uses harder hitting 45. ACP, meaning the Thompson would do higher damage then the Vector, but the Thompson shoots alot slower, it's between 700 to 800 RPM versus the Vectors blistering 1200RPM. So performance wise the Vector's DPS would probably be a bit better then the Thompson, making it better at killing bigger zeds, like scrakes, while theThompson would be better at substained fire due to its 50 round drum mag, thus being a better trash killer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISS_Vector (The in-game Vector uses 9mm ammunition judging by the 33 round magazine)

I hadn't thought of this, but he may be on to something with the Vector magsize. 9mm in a Vector could indeed justify a high tier Thompson with more damage to work with.

In any event, a drum mag Thompson would serve as an alternative to the Kriss in a different role - sustained DPS. IMO, the Kriss's role is permanently seated as king of Burst DPS. Its skyhigh RoF lends its role well to this, and I'll be amazed if we ever get another gun that fires that fast. However, its average magsize is what holds its otherwise great DPS back, with continuous firing hampered by reloads. It's for those "Gotta pop that Scrake head NOW" moments that come so often, but works well in most other cases too.

Thompson, however, would shoot slower and be able to last longer in suppressing fire. While initial DPS would be lower, those reloads would be much further down the line than the Kriss. Not sure how long those reloads would be, but it wouldn't hamper it too much. Also, a more controllable RoF could mean less shots wasted, unlike the Kriss. Kriss goes so fast, that most bodies that drop to it eat at least a little more ammo than necessary, resulting in shots wasted in a falling body. It's much easier to pace the shots at 750-800 RPM.

A new T1 is pointless for any class. We already start with one - who'd waste money on a sidegrade? And a sidegrade to the pitifully weak MP7 would be pointless, indeed. It's gotta be better. I'd be let down if its the Thompson M1, which probably would end up being T2.5 after all, but if it weighed 4, I could live with it. But I don't think the poll is here to waste time with low tier ideas (except maybe Fire Axe.....just how good could that possibly be?). Its purpose is definitely to suggest returning favorites that players will gladly alter their chosen final loadouts for. So we're talking T3s and T4s.....MAYBE T5s. These weapons demand some spotlight.

Which is why this Tommy needs to be the real deal.

Upvote 0
RaNdOmKiLs666;n2318144 said:

Meh... In the end, I'd still probably use the Vector more due to it's higher RoF (and as a result : DPS). Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be too phased about a gun that needs 3 extra seconds to empty it's mag.

(I didn't do the math but you get the idea)

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2318338 said:
It's just the weapon type itself. There was nothing specific about what it would be set.

See, that's the underlying issue. Thompson has had multiple versions throughout its storied history. This wouldn't be a problem if Killing Floor 1 used a single model, but it used three of them. And they weren't mere reskins, they were all completely different, with different stats. One was a fictionalized steampunk version, so even disregarding that, that leaves us with the other two which were very different from each other.

But the Vote is only for one of them. So the question that must be answered is - which one?

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2318148 said:
A new T1 is pointless for any class. We already start with one - who'd waste money on a sidegrade?

Hmmm I think I've asked for this before, but it would be great if we could choose our starting weapon before match start, maybe as a "level 0 skill" in the perks menu or some such. It would also determine which weapon you respawn with if you die.

Upvote 0