• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Latest Weapon Poll...

Servalion

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2017
The Struggle is real.

I cannot fathom how the M32 lost a second time. Most people here were confused or complaining how the M99 AMR would be any different from the Railgun, as it certainly couldn't be as strong. And yet it won, no doubt thanks to KF1 fans from elsewhere thinking it was gonna be anywhere near as powerful as it once was (and it'll be a real shocker if it is)

So now its round 3 for Weapon votes, only now there's 5 choices. And for the first time, I don't think M32's gonna win this one either.
Fire Axe, this is not your year to be.

All 3 of the new options are weapons people really want back.

MK23s - I didn't seriously think they'd offer to bring these back. And so soon after the AF2011s, too! But here they are, the classic option of capacity for SS, newly liberated into eager Gunslinger hands. 12 shots of .45 ACP x2....sure would be nice. But would they be T2.5 or T3?

FN FAL - I also thought that they might offer this some day, but not so soon. I also thought that in reality, its similar enough to the FN SCAR that it might not actually come back, and that they'd opt for something new. Also, would it still use an ACOG? Like, the same ACOG the M14 EBR uses? That kind of zoom might be odd but interesting. But here it is, the pinnacle of the KF1 Commando arsenal. And since I've always been a Commando at heart, my vote naturally gravitates towards this choice. And my vote would go here, no contest, if they didn't sucker punch me with....

Thompson SMG - AAAARRRRGH. On one hand YASS, its back on the menu! On the other hand, SO much competition! Anyone who's paid attention to me knows how badly I want this back. Just look at

https://forums.tripwireinteractive....g-back-the-thompson-smg?p=2317408#post2317408

But there's a lot of confliction and doubt here. First, they simply call it the "Thompson SMG". This is worryingly vague, as none of the KF1 versions actually used this name technically ("Tommy Gun", "Dr. T's Lead Delivery System", "Rising Storm Tommy Gun"), which means we could be voting for the base version from KF1, when plenty of people are voting for, and expecting the Rising Storm version. In fact, I'm gonna bring this up in the announcement thread right now.

Second, and this is more of a personal issue, simply having to choose between the Tommy and the FAL. I used both to great effect as a KF1 Commando, and while this means I'll eventually get both again (Hooray), its a simple dilemma of which I wanna see first.

But thirdly, FN FAL and Tommy on the vote at once seems to suggest that Tommy may not be in Commando's hands this time after all. We knew it would be a SWAT gun this time, but the possibility of Crossperk seems diminished, given the circumstances. FAL for the Commies, Tommy for the Coppies.

Anyways, its time to discuss. This is gonna be a hot topic, I'm sure. Lets get down to the thick of it.

Why you only consider M99's damage? What about weight? Reloading speed? Swap time? PRICE FOR GODS SAKE?

As gunslinger, I was genuinely mad when I saw double barrel meme gun, but after actuly trying it, I take my words back. It's not bad or average, it's actualy usefull compare to still crappy 1911. I still want MK23, but I can wait.

Im pretty sure they gonna add all of these guns eventually. Tommy gun can be crossperked, if there is a point for it, Im still waiting for AR15 crossperk.

Upvote 0
missing_trigger;n2317979 said:
Why you only consider M99's damage? What about weight? Reloading speed? Swap time? PRICE FOR GODS SAKE?

As gunslinger, I was genuinely mad when I saw double barrel meme gun, but after actuly trying it, I take my words back. It's not bad or average, it's actualy usefull compare to still crappy 1911. I still want MK23, but I can wait.

Im pretty sure they gonna add all of these guns eventually. Tommy gun can be crossperked, if there is a point for it, Im still waiting for AR15 crossperk.

I like the AF2011s as well. They're quirky, and I can feel their power. What I don't like is their wonky, unpredictable recoil. It's not merely one direction I have to fight against, but random veering to the left and right as well. As a consequence, I can't fire them fast with any hope of retaining a sliver of control beyond close range. I can deal with it to an extent, but when you can fire .500 S&Ws faster and more reliably land hits from a distance, something's......odd. All one would think the AF2011 would have to be is twice the recoil of a M1911, so why its wilder than that is beyond me.

As for the M99, I thought about that too at work after I made my last post. I thought to myself "The M99 was once the behemoth of the SS......why are we assuming that it still wouldn't be? We only assume that the Railgun can't be topped. There's nothing that's saying that its firing the biggest bullet." And then it went on from there.

The Railgun is sweet, sweet technology. But its high power isn't its real boon, but its ability to lock on to targets, especially their weak points, and deliver a huge blow from great distances with reliable autoaim. The M99 has no such advantage. It's selling point is straight up unapologetic blockade-busting holepunch power of the highest degree. It's a disgusting amount of power, but it still relies on you to hit with. I also recall the bullets being stupidly expensive last game, what, like $250 a round? I doubt it'll be so again, but I hardly expect this thing to be cost effective still, unless you're lining them up and knocking them down like strikes in a bowling alley. Didn't this gun have a huge weight back then too? Like, 10 or so? And Reload speed.....if you can call it that. Its gonna be like the Railgun, firing and loading in each shot manually. I don't see this happening faster than with the Railgun. Lastly, how much ammo will we be able to tote around? Would be nice to have more shots than the Railgun.

So, generally, M99 in a sense could be SS's T5, with supreme power and penetration, but this thing's almost guaranteed to eat money. From there, it'll be interesting to see how much it differs from the Railgun, as apart from the Rail's lock-on feature, their shots function rather similarly in their forced single-shot forms.

Upvote 0
The MK23s could have potential, they definitely were useful in the first game (even though I liked the .44 magnums more). Truth be told though, I wonder where they'll sit through... Have them as T2 and you can definitely kiss the 1911s bye-bye. As T3 they could work as weaker but faster deagles I suppose... with extra ammo to booth.

As I've said on another topic, I won't be happy with the FAL if it's only a faster-firing SCAR. It needs to bring something else. Actually,I believe it should be a new T3 (would make sense too, since the FAL is far older than the SCAR... which is only used by a selected few special forces in Belgium). It would be cool to get something new for good ol' mando!

Same-o, same-o for the thompson. Don't have anything at all against it... If it's more than just " a SMG packing a punch with a small mag".

(Now if the fire axe could win over all of them though... ~~~~~)

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2318015 said:
As I've said on another topic, I won't be happy with the FAL if it's only a faster-firing SCAR. It needs to bring something else. Actually,I believe it should be a new T3 (would make sense too, since the FAL is far older than the SCAR... which is only used by a selected few special forces in Belgium). It would be cool to get something new for good ol' mando!

Well, technically, both guns fire the same round, and the FAL has a higher RPM. Granted, 7.62x51 at 700 RPM in reality is nigh uncontrollable in full auto, and the FAL's recoil was indeed the worst of the two last game. I found the FAL shined when kept in Semi-Auto, but whether that'll be necessary in this game remains to be seen. I've no doubt in my mind that it'll be T4 (T5?) again, but being an older model, it does seem strange to cost so much. The FN FAL has a wealth of variations and revisions over the years. It'd be nice to get a modern FAL, such as the FAL Para or the StG58, which Steyr made for Austria until the AUG came about. The StG58 had improved recoil over most other versions, and reportedly made the best barrel of any FAL type.

But what intrigues me is how the gun in KF1 was notably called "FN FAL ACOG" but here we're voting on merely "FN FAL". See what I'm getting at? Me thinks they have a new sighting system in store. Reflex sight for closer range, or a different Optic in mind? Who knows. But even older models of FALs are no stranger to all manners of custom scopes. Could be anyone's guess what they'd put atop the gun this time.

Legermuseum-Delft_-_FN-FAL_with_infrared_light_and_scope.png

Upvote 0
missing_trigger;n2318022 said:
I did that long time ago. What's most important about mk23 is magazine capacity, I don't care about tier.

A shame really. They're not as bad as most people say (well, now that the 1858 HS damage have been buffed, that's a whole other story...). I still pick a single deagle more often than akimbo 1911, but the pistol is honestly perfectly usable.

As for the FAL : I see. But I guess it makes the gun even less interesting then, except for good looks. I honestly don't care much about a gun too similar to another, as it would only cater to personal tastes.

Upvote 0
Mk. 23s might be a good mix. The AF 2011s look nice, but they aren't something I'd use in my usual loadout. IMO they aren't a good supplement to the magnums, especially since despite their higher ammo pool and more bullets per shot, they still do less overall damage than dual deagles. Plus, the magnums got a slight buff to damage, making them more appealing.

I still voted for the M32 though. Demo could use another one perk only high tier weapon that does significant damage. RPG is still mainstay for dealing with big zeds, seeker six isn't as good at the job but good for crowd control and setting off multiple nukes in zed time, and husk cannon runs the risk of you burning yourself to death if aren't a firebug.

If they do add it in, I imagine it would be a T4 weapon, but if it's T3 and it weighs just enough to pair the RPG with it....

Last edited:
Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
idunno i like the M1A1 Thompson. but i'm not really a bullet hose kind of person generally so it isn't surprising that i'd prefer better handling and snappier Reloads to having a Drum.
while MK23's, FAL, and M32 were all convenient but didn't really stand out in the previous title perse, but were rather upgrades that you sought after for getting more Deeps.

Upvote 0
taiiat;n2318056 said:
idunno i like the M1A1 Thompson. but i'm not really a bullet hose kind of person generally so it isn't surprising that i'd prefer better handling and snappier Reloads to having a Drum.

I could understand the appeal for the M1A1. Thing is, that appeal disappeared once the UMP landed on the scene. The UMP in all regards is a modern day M1A1. The guns are just too similar.

Upvote 0
MikeHoncho;n2318064 said:
Zerks everywhere like when do we get some love. A year and 3 months now without something new. Not even a crossperk. Tbh I'm not really fired up about the axe either.

I understand the Zerk pain for something nice and new, but I also agree on that part. Desperation for something fresh shouldn't mean settling for the Fire Axe. There's only so many ways to whack something up close, and I feel like only neat ideas with a sexy alt-fire will really snazz things up. A Fire Axe is......exactly that. What exactly sets this thing apart from the Pulverizer, besides slash damage and lack of boom shells?

Maybe jury-rig it Fallout style with a power source to make the axe head searing hot, adding fire damage. Then it'd be a true Berserker/Firebug Crossperk.

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2318069 said:
I understand the Zerk pain for something nice and new, but I also agree on that part. Desperation for something fresh shouldn't mean settling for the Fire Axe. There's only so many ways to whack something up close, and I feel like only neat ideas with a sexy alt-fire will really snazz things up. A Fire Axe is......exactly that. What exactly sets this thing apart from the Pulverizer, besides slash damage and lack of boom shells?

Maybe jury-rig it Fallout style with a power source to make the axe head searing hot, adding fire damage. Then it'd be a true Berserker/Firebug Crossperk.
I had one idea to introduce a Chainsword, which is a large broad sword with running chainsaw teeth where the blade is. It'd be similar to what Warhammer has in appearance and function similar to the zweihander but swing faster. I wasn't sure whether it'd run on a battery or be infinite and deal damage that's almost on par to the eviscerator. As far as parry and blocking, it'd be less than the bone crusher and evis, but trades it for sheer damage.

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2317974 said:
The Struggle is real.

I cannot fathom how the M32 lost a second time. Most people here were confused or complaining how the M99 AMR would be any different from the Railgun, as it certainly couldn't be as strong. And yet it won, no doubt thanks to KF1 fans from elsewhere thinking it was gonna be anywhere near as powerful as it once was (and it'll be a real shocker if it is)

Chill, it's just a poll that tells TWI what to work on first. IMO, which specific toy model it is doesn't really bother me, I'd always be glad for having more toys to play with.

Also, I'd say that a MGL like M32 will always be a viable platform for TWI to bring forth a type of 'direct hit' explosive weaponry so the perk will not be next to useless in CQB, like instead of a regular HE grenade, the grenade it use only got little splash power (small explosion radius) but can detonate in any range - and deal impact damage in explosive damage, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
missing_trigger;n2318333 said:
On some stream TWI said that if m32 lose again we not gonna see it at all, so no "chill".

Wait, for reals? Damn. I didn't even vote for it this time, and now I'm starting to regret it. They kinda screwed that pooch by giving us 5 options instead of the usual 3. I see just as many people wanting the FAL or Tommy back. I don't even play Demo that much, and I know how big of a deal the M32 coming back is.

It's TWI saying stuff like this that would heavily influence the vote, if people were aware of it. I guess that means the Fire Axe is off the list this time, too? No way it stands a chance with all these options.

Upvote 0