• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Endless in hard = 167 Scrakes... seriously?

Yesterday I found something terrible: on hard difficulty mode you can have a Scrakes only wave!

We were 3 premade, around level 23, I was a Demo, and 3 random players, on DieSector.
At wave 23, so close to 25 achievement... after 1 hour gaming... we got 167 Scrakes in a "studio flat" space!

How should we face them? One at time is impossible either: you surely would trigger another beside it. Or more probably get a new bunch of Scrakes beside you and an all escape paths...
Also what should I do with Demo, except prevent myself doing anything?
And where to find enough ammo to kill 167 of them?

IMHO, devs exaggerated this time!
There aren't only premade teams of 6 level 25 veteran players on this game! And for them there's hell on earth difficulty!
Let at least hard mode to be balanced for good not premade teams!

Also take examples from Poundemonium wave: they surely aren't all Fleshpounds and Quarter pounds (while QP are way easier than scrakes!). Just most of that mixed wave are "pound" kind of zeds.
Why not something similar for Scrakes wave? Why not just make "most of them" Scrakes, and ALL OF THEM?

Please, rebalance it! It makes me lose wish to try it. Also because it's just random: you could have more or none of such waves..
My gameplay cannot depend SO MUCH from random! It's a GAME OVER wave for me.

Maybe make it like Poundemonium, as before, or just let it be only late waves on Suicidal and waves of Hell on earth difficulties (or just this last one, better).

RawrUK;n2317549 said:
As a demo, you need to use the impact shot of the RPG on the Scrakes head. I think it's a 4x damage multiplier or something like that and you should be able to one-shot Scrakes on hard. Just don't miss. And tell your Firebug to take a nap for the wave.

You still won't have enough ammo to last the entire wave without running short.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2317562 said:
Honestly on hard 167 scrakes aint that bad.

1 RPG= 1 dead scrake for a high level demo, and there are tons of ammo boxes on diesector.

Only problem that its a diesector, its tight and depends on a difficulty can be an asss to kite... with all these props that don't have a tube shaped hitbox to slide around while you backpedal

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2317568 said:
Only problem that its a diesector, its tight and depends on a difficulty can be an asss to kite... with all these props that don't have a tube shaped hitbox to slide around while you backpedal

if its all opened up it isnt too bad, but its definitely a challenge. But it would still take a long time, especially if his team sucked, or wasnt playing perks that can reasonably take down a scrake.

I'll answer the question directly

1. How should we face them? One at time is impossible either: you surely would trigger another beside it. Or more probably get a new bunch of Scrakes beside you and an all escape paths... Designate any perks that can reasonably take a scrake, things like Demo, Gunslinger, SS, zerk, commando, SWAT. etc. This assumes they have the right weapons.

Also focus on any raged ones first, and try to bunch spawns up, and stay ahead of them. KF2 is about staying ahead of spawns once you are forced to kite. its often where you are better off bashing an enemy out of the way, than just killing them to only have another try to block you a few seconds later. Also save ammo boxes only for perks that can help take the scrakes down.

Also what should I do with Demo, except prevent myself doing anything? so by wave 23, im going to assume you have one of the tier 4 weapons. Unless you have the RPG or seeker six(with appropriate perks in order to take down a scrake with 1 magazine with seeker six, or 1 rpg.) if not you are just on damage control. if one scrake gets out of hand you need to be ready to stun him with dynamite.

besides that, you can use other demo weapons to take them out with just body health, if one gets out of hand. Lots of people dont realize body health is underrated vs big zeds. Sure its great to have people that can pop a scrakes/FPs head reliably. But really any two perks will be able to drop a FP/sc from body health drops, especially if they use their perks CC abilities properly. This is especially on hard.

And where to find enough ammo to kill 167 of them? Gota look around, and like i said, designate the boxes for the scrake killing perks. Bear in mind, if you have a medic to buff your damage before a takedown attempt, that can be a big help too. +20% damage will help alot more then one might think, in many cases.

Thats my advice for the time being, until TWI comes out with a change to this although i wouldnt be suprised if it takes a while.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
poultrygeist;n2317570 said:
While a scrake only wave is a challenge I'd advice having a sharpie or gunslinger in your team. The team setup is wrong if you rely on a demo to take out all the big zeds.

Why? Demos can 1shot scrakes, and take down FPs easy as well. Its more then capable of being the designated bigzed wrangler, especially if its not a full 6man team. I personally love it with firebug.

Upvote 0
yeah true, i like a more precise game without everything panicking though,no offense.
in any case, i cant see your type of team working well on a scrake only wave where a FB would be completely useless. a demo cant take the whole wave on its own.

iam gratefull to have a reliable demo on my team if me as a GS,or someone playing sharp, messes up the takedown though.

Upvote 0
poultrygeist;n2317589 said:
yeah true, i like a more precise game without everything panicking though,no offense.
in any case, i cant see your type of team working well on a scrake only wave where a FB would be completely useless. a demo cant take the whole wave on its own.

iam gratefull to have a reliable demo on my team if me as a GS,or someone playing sharp, messes up the takedown though.

When i said that i didnt mean a only scrake wave. I just meant when playing a typical standard wave, that for two manning fb/demo is alot of fun and i find that they synergize well together. but yea FB is useless on a scrake only wave, liability if anything.

Upvote 0
At this point, I can't see any team working well in a scrake only wave since too many scrakes spawn in and ammo is always gonna be an issue (unless you're in a modded server with constant ammo spawn). On other maps besides DieSector, one or two people are left standing because the others have died, meaning there's less competition for ammo and making it a bit more manageable. Even then, you'll probably be burned out from spending 30 minutes killing nothing but scrakes. Happened me twice and despite my grossly large zed kill count, it felt like a total chore than anything else.

Reactions: Buzzkillinton
Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2317602 said:
At this point, I can't see any team working well in a scrake only wave since too many scrakes spawn in and ammo is always gonna be an issue (unless you're in a modded server with constant ammo spawn). On other maps besides DieSector, one or two people are left standing because the others have died, meaning there's less competition for ammo and making it a bit more manageable. Even then, you'll probably be burned out from spending 30 minutes killing nothing but scrakes. Happened me twice and despite my grossly large zed kill count, it felt like a total chore than anything else.

the worst are the maps where its too easy, and it just takes ages. its whne you know you can do it, but just dont wana spend the time doign it because of that.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2317569 said:
if its all opened up it isnt too bad, but its definitely a challenge. But it would still take a long time, especially if his team sucked, or wasnt playing perks that can reasonably take down a scrake.

I'll answer the question directly

1. How should we face them? One at time is impossible either: you surely would trigger another beside it. Or more probably get a new bunch of Scrakes beside you and an all escape paths... Designate any perks that can reasonably take a scrake, things like Demo, Gunslinger, SS, zerk, commando, SWAT. etc. This assumes they have the right weapons.

Also focus on any raged ones first, and try to bunch spawns up, and stay ahead of them. KF2 is about staying ahead of spawns once you are forced to kite. its often where you are better off bashing an enemy out of the way, than just killing them to only have another try to block you a few seconds later. Also save ammo boxes only for perks that can help take the scrakes down.

Also what should I do with Demo, except prevent myself doing anything? so by wave 23, im going to assume you have one of the tier 4 weapons. Unless you have the RPG or seeker six(with appropriate perks in order to take down a scrake with 1 magazine with seeker six, or 1 rpg.) if not you are just on damage control. if one scrake gets out of hand you need to be ready to stun him with dynamite.

besides that, you can use other demo weapons to take them out with just body health, if one gets out of hand. Lots of people dont realize body health is underrated vs big zeds. Sure its great to have people that can pop a scrakes/FPs head reliably. But really any two perks will be able to drop a FP/sc from body health drops, especially if they use their perks CC abilities properly. This is especially on hard.

And where to find enough ammo to kill 167 of them? Gota look around, and like i said, designate the boxes for the scrake killing perks. Bear in mind, if you have a medic to buff your damage before a takedown attempt, that can be a big help too. +20% damage will help alot more then one might think, in many cases.

Thats my advice for the time being, until TWI comes out with a change to this although i wouldnt be suprised if it takes a while.

Good luck.

did all scrake wave on nuked..it took over 30 mins for that 1 wave because we were all running around looking for ammo the vast majority of the time...it wasnt fun. almost every left after that wave because it took too long. it is a lame mechanic unless they going to give you the ammo to do it without running around forever looking for it. and forget it if it is a close map.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2317602 said:

bingo...same thing. 30 mins for 1 wave....and most of the time was spent running around with a knife looking for ammo. (nuked).

Upvote 0
Asode from DieSector, Nuked and zed landing seem like the only other maps that are good for endless. They're open enough to allow kiting as well as having numerous ammo locations. The other maps are either too packed to be beneficial in the long run or have limited ammo locations or were meant to hold your ground.

Just imagine getting a scrake or husk only wave in Biotics lab or containment station. You'll get cornered very quickly.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised they didn't adjust anything before the full release. This is exactly what we said during the beta. Most maps on HoE are impossible for a scrake wave, and even if you're on a map that has enough room, it's just a chore and completely burns you out. DieSector is a joke when you get a scrake wave. They block every path.

Less scrakes, more ammo plz. Ammo should be like boss waves. Spawn every single one and reduce the respawn time. I love almost everything about endless mode except for scrake and cyst waves.

oldmidget;n2317569 said:

Good luck.

This is not possible in 90% of the maps because there's not enough room to move around the walls of scrakes blocking your paths and constantly having multiple scrakes raged at once.

Upvote 0