• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's Talk About: Zeds

HarryMcAuley99

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2017
England
Zeds are some of my favourite video game enemies, they're just very interesting and killing them is always fun. We already have a wide variety of Zeds within Killing Floor, each with their own look, abilites, strengths and weaknesses. This post is just for discussing all things Zed related, everything from which Zed is your favourite, which one you hate the most and even what you'd like to see in a new Zed. And maybe, just maybe someone from Tripwire could let us know if they have plans for new Zeds in the future ;)

Dr. Lethal;n2316489 said:
Hate the husks on HoE. Unless you're a firebug, one sudden fireball to the back will ruin your day. I always cringe whenever I hear one about to suicide and I don't know where he is.

Have you ever had a big cluster of about 5-6 Husks spawn in? Not fun, at all. Thinking about it Husks are pretty damn terrifying, they have a long ranged, high damage projectile that causes burning, on higher difficulties that flamethrower is a scary addition to their arsenal and dammit that suicide has gotten me many times. Oh, and they can run too. Not to mention the fact they are somewhat bulky too. However despite all that, I don't hate them.. They prove a challenge at times and for the most part they are uncommon. Stalkers however are the bane of my life, too many times have a pack of them just snuck from behind without me realising and dropped my armor and health by a large amount. Quick, invisible, fast hitting and suprisingly strong. Damn Stalkers.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2316489 said:
Hate the husks on HoE. Unless you're a firebug, one sudden fireball to the back will ruin your day. I always cringe whenever I hear one about to suicide and I don't know where he is.

Pretty much. The husk became a devastating bastard in KF2. I used to think the Siren and Crawlers were a pain in the ass, but boy... The husk is now the epitome of a zed that can wreck you any given time.

Reactions: HarryMcAuley99
Upvote 0
HarryMcAuley99;n2316495 said:
Have you ever had a big cluster of about 5-6 Husks spawn in? Not fun, at all. Thinking about it Husks are pretty damn terrifying, they have a long ranged, high damage projectile that causes burning, on higher difficulties that flamethrower is a scary addition to their arsenal and dammit that suicide has gotten me many times. Oh, and they can run too. Not to mention the fact they are somewhat bulky too. However despite all that, I don't hate them.. They prove a challenge at times and for the most part they are uncommon. Stalkers however are the bane of my life, too many times have a pack of them just snuck from behind without me realising and dropped my armor and health by a large amount. Quick, invisible, fast hitting and suprisingly strong. Damn Stalkers.

I hate those husk groups so much. Nothing like 4 fireballs coming at you, at the same time. Whenever I play demo, I'm willing to use an RPG on them. Also hate stalkers when playing demo, because several times...best opportune shot gets ruined due to stalker being to close.

Also, before the gorefiends tornado attack was stoppable, I kinda hated how you couldn't but the brakes on them when they did that.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2316501 said:
I hate those husk groups so much. Nothing like 4 fireballs coming at you, at the same time. Whenever I play demo, I'm willing to use an RPG on them. Also hate stalkers when playing demo, because several times...best opportune shot gets ruined due to stalker being to close.

Also, before the gorefiends tornado attack was stoppable, I kinda hated how you couldn't but the brakes on them when they did that.

Damn I remember that, it's a good job they changed it so that the attack can be interruped. Gorefiends have gotten on my bad side, while sure the spin was nerfed they are still resilient bastards, and the fact they can block their heads, run quite fast and can spawn in large numbers is a huge pain. Despite that I love the look of them, the black skin, the glowing white parts and that tounge make it look really unique and makes it stand out from the rest of the Zeds.

Anyway, if I had to rank the 4 Zeds I hate the most in order it would be:
1)Stalkers
2)Gorefiends
3) Crawlers
4) Quarter Pounds

Upvote 0
HarryMcAuley99;n2316502 said:
Damn I remember that, it's a good job they changed it so that the attack can be interruped. Gorefiends have gotten on my bad side, while sure the spin was nerfed they are still resilient bastards, and the fact they can block their heads, run quite fast and can spawn in large numbers is a huge pain. Despite that I love the look of them, the black skin, the glowing white parts and that tounge make it look really unique and makes it stand out from the rest of the Zeds.

1)Stalkers
2)Gorefiends
3) Crawlers
4) Quarter Pounds

I kinda like QPs. They add some flair to the game so it's not just 3 fleshpounds spawning at once. However, I call a group of these and a couple fleshpounds 'asskicking squads.' Six QPs and two fleshpounds is hard to deal with unless you can dispatch them very quickly. The fact the QPs always spawn in groups makes them even more dangerous than their older brothers.

Upvote 0
HarryMcAuley99;n2316502 said:

1)Stalkers
2)Gorefiends
3) Crawlers
4) Quarter Pounds

QPs are no biggie...i agree with your 1-3..for 4 id put husks. if playing bezerker, i put husks as #1, crawlers #2

Upvote 0
HarryMcAuley99;n2316508 said:
Also I'm interested to know what your opinion on the bosses are, for me personally King Fleshpound has given me more issues than any other boss and I'd say either him or the Patriarch are the hardest bosses. Volter feels a little too easy for me and Abomination hardly puts up a fight though he does make you burn off much of your ammo.

I absolutely cannot stand the Abomination.

Volter is really predictable, if you have a good team that can kite him around it's basically a matter of time. Only time I see squads really struggle with him is if his grenades get a kill or two early on. At this point, though, he's been the longest running boss so everyone knows him pretty well. He's not never a challenge, but he's often pretty easy.

Patty feels right. Sometime's it's total BS when he glitch-heals, many a time his health is whittling down, he's surrounded and can't run, and he's about to die, only for him to groan like he just used a stimpak and his health to spike up, but for the most part it's like playing against classic Patty.

KFP has that "HOLY SCHNIKES!" factor, and if you don't have half the team dedicated to crowd control you'll quickly get F'd in the A, but he's not too bad. I think he requires the least amount of strategy, basically just point and shoot and don't get killed. He's interesting to have in the mix, though I think his shield is unnecessary. If you buffed his health just a little bit and kept the laser-attack for low health threshold I think he'd be a little better.

But the Abomination... Oh man, this guy! Maybe he wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for his armor. He's already really tanky, and many times already I've been on teams who've completely run out of ammo trying to deal with that plus the horde so it's kiting, a magazine of whatever here and there as you find ammo, 9mm pop every now and then, all while running around trying to avoid the piles of toxic goop, and not get exploded on by the jerks who get shat out, who are also surprisingly tanky for being essentially puss-bags...
If you made the toxic-zeds a little easier to drop and got rid of his armor (or nerfed it a little) I think you'd have a solid boss. As it is I could get KFP Patty or Hans and be like "Alright, lets do this!" But when I get the Abomination I'm thinking "Oh G_d no! WHY!!??"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree about the armor, it can get quite boring when you all run out of ammo and are forced to run around looking for ammo. I think they should lower his armor HP but keep his regular HP the same, the little green turds should have a HP drop, they are too fast to have the health they have. A tanky, fast suiciding army of green poo men makes for a bad time. Personally, he should get a slight speed boost to his walk speed because right now he's just too easy to run away from and shoot him from a distance, King Fleshpound walks, but makes up for it with the constant raging, Abomination has a run but it's easy to outrun. So maybe the run speed could be buffed too? Also Abomination lacks one thing the other bosses have.. A long ranged attack, Volter can lob grenades and shoot guns, Patty has his rockets and minigun and the King has that lazer. I could imagine him having an attack which sees him vomit a blob of goo that travels really far.

So to conclude:
Lower his armor HP
Lower the Abomination Spawn HP
Increase his walk and run speed slightly
Give him a long ranged projectile

I think if Abomination was updated to be look this he would be much more of a threat; quicker movement with a new long ranged attack but at the cost of less armor HP and less HP for his Abomination Spawns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Abomination is the easiest one to deal with. He only becomes a problem if he starts leaving bile mines everywhere, and most of the time you'll get killed by the toxic clouds he leaves around. As long as you have a few people that deal heavy damage, then he won't be an issue unless you get cornered.

I still hate Volter though. His constant jet-boosting around makes him a pain in the ass to hit, plus the way his aggro works is rather frustrating. Sometimes, he'll hit one person then go after the next guy, or he'll keep attacking that one guy until he's dead. It's bad news if you aren't a zerker.

King Pound was difficult at first since he was new and not everyone knew how to deal with the QPs. They keep damaging King Pound and causes more and more QPs to arise, eventually swarming the team and offing everyone one by one. Since then, QPs become first priority while someone distracts the king.

Upvote 0
TheTCREngineer;n2316592 said:
We already have those though

I think what oldmidget meant was waves that contain:
Husks and Scrakes only
Bloats and Sirens only
Rioters and Stalkers only
So basically waves containing two Zeds only, I haven't played Endless yet so I don't know if dual Zed waves are a thing, I'm assuming not.

A Gorefiend/Rioter wave sounds fun.
*sarcasm intensifies*

Reactions: Bluntman420
Upvote 0
HarryMcAuley99;n2316593 said:
I think what oldmidget meant was waves that contain:
Husks and Scrakes only
Bloats and Sirens only
Rioters and Stalkers only
So basically waves containing two Zeds only, I haven't played Endless yet so I don't know if dual Zed waves are a thing, I'm assuming not.

A Gorefiend/Rioter wave sounds fun.
*sarcasm intensifies*

THAT EXACTLY.

Sure some zeds are dangerous on their own, but i think randomizing dualzedtype waves could be very challenging. scrake fleshpound would be hell due to all the scrakes getting fireraged. bloats and sirens would be hell on close quarters maps. rioters and stalkers i just envisioned 200 raged stalkers and had nightmares.

just an ide.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2316626 said:
THAT EXACTLY.

Sure some zeds are dangerous on their own, but i think randomizing dualzedtype waves could be very challenging. scrake fleshpound would be hell due to all the scrakes getting fireraged. bloats and sirens would be hell on close quarters maps. rioters and stalkers i just envisioned 200 raged stalkers and had nightmares.

just an ide.

Sounds like an interesting idea, it could add some variety into Endless, here are a few ideas I had:
Alpha Clots and Rioters
Gorefiends and Rioters
Stalkers and Crawlers
Rioters and Elite Crawlers
Quarter Pounds and Husks

But anything would be possible, some combinations would be really hard to deal with whilst others, not so much and like I said it would add more variety.

Upvote 0