• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A case against the M99 in favor of the M107

Reclusiarch

Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2015
It seems like the M99 is gonna make a comeback at some point in time, to my disappointment... allow me to elaborate: we already have a gun that operates the same way as the bolt operated, one shot before reload M99, and that is the Railgun. The thing is, the Railgun is superior in every aspect to it's .50 cal counterpart, so we don't really need a crappier version of it. Adding to that is the fact that that particular Barrett design is the most boring one mechanically wise, so, why use the M99 if you can get an M107, which is .50 cal too, but mag fed, with 10 round capacity, and semi-auto: it would be lesser than the Railgun damage wise, but quicker in it's fire-rate (it can be a new T4 for the sharpshooter!).
And if you're going to tell me that it would be impossible to shoot it with any precission from the shoulder... just take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPqbC-xZ5VE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEK7rcqO-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHTsaCo03Q&t=108s

PS: yes I friggin' love that thing and I need it to be made by TWI!

Reactions: missing_trigger
Aleflippy;n2313440 said:
I'm a bit afraid that it might be able to nuke zeds though... A high-level sharpshooter can already kill pretty easily with HS done with the crossbow, so imagine being able to do that ten times before reloading...

I agree that on the basics it has the potential to obliterate everything, but TWI was able to balance an LMG pretty well, even when almost everyone agreed that it wasn't possible to do so, so I have faith in TWI's balancing capability.

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2313440 said:
I actually had a similar idea before, with the basic trade-off : less damage for higher RoF.

I'm a bit afraid that it might be able to nuke zeds though... A high-level sharpshooter can already kill pretty easily with HS done with the crossbow, so imagine being able to do that ten times before reloading...

With all bonuses to reload, for me its way better to no-scope shoot as quickly as possible to random part of each big zed, instead of aiming carefuly (which is hard when FP/Scrake is enraged). Reload speed with all bonuses is insane and it looks like it is far beyond real potential of a human being.
Sooo, semi auto with 5-10 rnd magazine wont be that big deal, especially with lower damage and maybe bigger recoil (not sure how bad is the recoil in railgun technology)

Upvote 0
Veny;n2313445 said:
With all bonuses to reload, for me its way better to no-scope shoot as quickly as possible to random part of each big zed, instead of aiming carefuly (which is hard when FP/Scrake is enraged). Reload speed with all bonuses is insane and it looks like it is far beyond real potential of a human being.
Sooo, semi auto with 5-10 rnd magazine wont be that big deal, especially with lower damage and maybe bigger recoil (not sure how bad is the recoil in railgun technology)

Sounds to me like you're the real expert Veny!

Upvote 0
maybe, but i was envisioning the M99 being able to stand out by having a Penetration strength of say........ 20, and dealing most of the Damage of the Railgun.
so rather than being for nuking that Fleshpound, something that rides in the middle by being able to clean out an entire hallway of Enemies at once.

no real opinion on this, perse though.
(however fwiw the Railgun does already have a pretty decent Rate of Fire - if you ensure to manually Reload on each shot you can already reach ~45 RPM or ~60 w/ Elite Reload - i'm not sure it's the best plan to have something competing with the Railgun for Damage per Shot but shooting significantly faster than that and having a Magazine.)

Upvote 0
M99, a single shot, sounds a bit redundant with railgun manual mode, yeah.

Railgun is ideal for Scrakes with 1shot decaps, so the alternate role for sharp is something more ideal for fleshpounds, so a potential KF2 .50bmg should probably do that. 1shotting them would probably be too much, so 2shotting them notably faster than railgun 2shots them, at the cost of not 1shotting scrakes like railgun, could be the best balance for it.

So a semi auto .50bmg could be good, but Barrett M82/M107's 10rd mags are way excessive. With a less forgiving capacity, it would be way easier to balance the individual shots being satisfyingly powerful.
.50bmg semi autos with 5rd mags are out there. (Gepard M6, AS50) That sounds better to me. Or a Barrett M82 with fictionally smaller mags could do. 5, maybe even 4 or 3.

Finally getting a bolt action mag fed rifle in killing floor, in a 50, a Hecate II or M95 or such, could also be cool, but since working the bolt could be expected to be nearly the same delay as railgun's quick reloads, it wouldn't fit as well with what I said earlier, that a KF2 .50bmg should be for FPs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the m99 act more or less the same as the railgun does now, but have the railgun completely overhauled. Give it some charge-up mechanic (where you hold the trigger to increase the damage, like the sniper in TF2 or overwatch) and replace the lock-on GUI with something that'd show you whether youre charged enought to insta kill in one headshot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scrublord;n2313661 said:
I'd like to see the m99 act more or less the same as the railgun does now, but have the railgun completely overhauled. Give it some charge-up mechanic (where you hold the trigger to increase the damage, like the sniper in TF2 or overwatch) and replace the lock-on GUI with something that'd show you whether youre charged enought to insta kill in one headshot.

I see, hmmm, lemme add you to my black list :p

Upvote 0
missing_trigger;n2313496 said:
Peneteration is useless in this game, comparing to first KF.
it's even more useful, because of Skills that can allow you deal so much more Damage to Collateral Targets.
can't Pierce as many Enemies by default, but increases to that are so much stronger than they were before, and the Skills related to Piercing have ridiculous value.

why? because Enemies aren't just bullet sponges anymore, so piercing through a group of Enemies means dealing a MUCH more significant percentage of their max Health. and you can increase that further.

not even to mention that Support isn't the only Perk now that gets extra Piercing bonuses.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
taiiat;n2313731 said:
it's even more useful, because of Skills that can allow you deal so much more Damage to Collateral Targets.
can't Pierce as many Enemies by default, but increases to that are so much stronger than they were before, and the Skills related to Piercing have ridiculous value.

why? because Enemies aren't just bullet sponges anymore, so piercing through a group of Enemies means dealing a MUCH more significant percentage of their max Health. and you can increase that further.

not even to mention that Support isn't the only Perk now that gets extra Piercing bonuses.

Enemies doesn't line up at all in this game, that's what I mean. peneteration is usefull for shotguns but support has enough peneteration by default

Upvote 0
are we repeating ourselves i guess? yes Piercing is less powerful natively across the board and Enemies don't just stand around waiting for you to collateral them all - but again in trade when you DO Pierce, it's much more useful in this game and the bonuses/Skills for Piercing are therefore so much more effective. dealing almost full or even full Damage to an entire river of Enemies at once is... very efficient.

Upvote 0