• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you had to guess, what is the most popular custom map so far?

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
It's very easy to notice what maps draw the masses like bees to honey.. if you had to guess, what is the pinnacle?

My server went live in October and it seems like clotkitchen is definitely a contender.

Just to say, I have no statistics to share as I believe the pie chart that shows map usesage for my server is biased due to server crashes/reboots defaulting to bioticslab.. I realize that's a stock map, but it still taints the percentages heh.

On a related note..

No disrespect intended to TWI - but I do not think I'd be able to maintain interest in KF2 if it wasn't for the gifted members of the community who put their time into making free content for us all to share. Hopefully these people stick around so we have a similar lifespan as KF1 when it was still in its glory. :)

A big thank you to all of you workshop contributors.

I mean.. even the gimmicky maps that are not necessarily challenging are refreshing to play from time to time. Defensethyself is probably hated by hardcore players for example, but if you can't have some fun destroying zeds in a castle, where can you? :p

Last edited:
Is that LilClotBigKitchen you're talking about? I've been there. Too big and open, too few spawns, imo. Easy to corral them all however you like. Not too much harder than your usual turkey shoot maps, like CrazyPlayboy, although I'm sure that one sees plenty of action.

But honestly, I've seen myself often returning to China Temple (the normal one). Why? Well, in return, lemme ask you, have you played it on HoE? Have you beat it on HoE? Because I have. Once. ONCE. Why? Because RANDOMIZED @$$load of Zeds, that's why. Almost every wave has WAY more Zeds than the counter indicates, and they randomly throw way more at you on top of that. The challenge is solid, and most matches I see don't even reach the Boss. And the boss almost always signals the end, because its Hans AND Patty simultaneously, with a huge helping of Fleshpounds right from the start. The map itself would normally be considered too big as well, but it doesn't feel like it once it becomes flooded with the horde. They WILL catch you.

Essentially, China Temple is basically a map with mutators built in. Loads of extra Zeds, huge Bloat squads, lumbering Siren mobs, hit squads of Husk fireteams, Boss overload, and one of the traders is randomly "trapped" with like 100 crawlers. It's the kind of challenging options we'll need once Prestige becomes a thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd say most popular & best designed are highly different categories in the Community Maps.

Most popular: Cucumber, Cube, Super Perk Trainer, Deeping Wall
-Funny, brainless small blaster maps &/or exp grinders
-I bet SwiftBrutalDeath's 'Swifty' would fit well into this genre (although it's more detailed than the afore mentioned)

Best designed: here this gets really tough...
I like a lot of maps & play nearly every map that crosses my path.
There are a load of mappers on my favorite list: SeanChaos & his sis Vampcinda, RockMax, Motorhead, & MGS-Sniper

That aside, here are some of my favorites:
-Hangman's Bridge
-AOperations
-Metro (Tunnels & Swamps)
-ClubConfessions
-Dystopia
-OldWoodRoad
-Insurrection
-Biolapse
-WinterHoldOut
-ShoppingSpree

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2313014 said:
I quickly edited my post soon after I posted, and I got a notification upon the attempt that the post was "flagged as spam" and would stay hidden until approved by a moderator. For what reason, I can't possibly understand.

Oh man.. I feel your pain on that one! I wondered if I made it all up in my head for a moment lol. :)

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2313188 said:
I can't say I've ever had this issue. I usually hold out at the bridges, whichever is closest to trader. Where do you usually hold out?

doesnt matter really, there are certain areas where when you walk near them they spawn hundreds of zeds, but if you just stay in the same place, its like a normal game of whatever difficulty you put it on.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2313229 said:
doesnt matter really, there are certain areas where when you walk near them they spawn hundreds of zeds, but if you just stay in the same place, its like a normal game of whatever difficulty you put it on.

Strange. I'm almost certain that you're playing a different version of the map then. There's several of them out there by now, 4 or 5 at least. There's the normal one which I do, which I think might be the original scripted one that keeps the one trapped trader on the far end. Then I think there's another one that removes the trap from that trader, but is still scripted. Then there's a version of both of these with the scripts removed. Finally, there's the "insane" version that traps all the traders at all times, and adds extra traps at random points in the map. That one was built with pure sadism in mind, and is legitimately bull$#!t.

In fact, its probably this last version that gives China Temple its bad rep in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Servalion;n2313233 said:
Strange. I'm almost certain that you're playing a different version of the map then. There's several of them out there by now, 4 or 5 at least. There's the normal one which I do, which I think might be the original scripted one that keeps the one trapped trader on the far end. Then I think there's another one that removes the trap from that trader, but is still scripted. Then there's a version of both of these with the scripts removed. Finally, there's the "insane" version that traps all the traders at all times, and adds extra traps at random points in the map. That one was built with pure sadism in mind, and is legitimately bull$#!t.

In fact, its probably this last version that gives China Temple its bad rep in general.

i only ever did insanity, but its been a while.

Upvote 0