• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance Effects

Hatesandwich

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
In regards to both our current implementation of FleX as well as depricated (for reasons of performance) dynamic lighting effects via flashlights, is there any chance for these to be upgraded or reimplemented?

FleX for example now supports AMD Radeon Cards, and with such a relatively stressing feature being available but disabled by default (and sometimes removed temporarily due to performance worries), it seems rather illogical to have removed dynamic lights (and heck, even multiple player lights need to be specifically enabled via .ini edit, with no in-game option) and yet never given back to the players as a choice after leaving Early Access.

Reactions: TheUndying
Vahnkiljoy;n2309330 said:
Sadly like getting them to lessen the idiocy that is the initial load times when starting the game this seems to be beyond their capacity, I mean look at how long it takes them to make weapons and/or maps.

what harddrive do you have the game on? even on my 5400rpm HDD it only takes like a minute. after which maps load in mere seconds as opposed to other games on the market.....

complaining about this is useless lol.

Upvote 0
Some people just want to be interacting with something ASAP after hitting the 'play' button in steam, and the more features the menu provides the more valid that point is. Why care about map loading times if you just want to mess with your inventory or gear tabs?

And while the current method allows you to load maps faster it should still take the same total amount of time for the first map loaded, right? If this is true then it's rather pointless either way if you're only going to be playing on one map, say in the case of getting your dailies and logging off.

It kinda comes down to your mindset and whether you're focusing on the big picture or the small picture. I'd argue most people on this Earth are small picture people, and the current system bothers their short-sighted vision. Since they're the majority and complaints are louder than compliments I think this is why most games spend most of their loading time after exiting the menu and entering the game proper.

For the record I like loading the way it currently works in KF2(have it installed on a SSD though). I can hit the play button and make a sandwich or fiddle around on the internet for a minute or two, not a problem. I don't know if SSDs will ever fully replace HDDs but they will become more commonplace over time and putting this game on a SSD and seeing how much faster it loads will feel great for just about anyone.

Upvote 0