• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UMP 45 - Thoughts on what it will/should be like

Servalion

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2017
So. New gun incoming. Yay! Oh, and the Freezethrower too. That's such a custom concept that I'll leave that up to Tripwire.

As for the UMP 45 though, it makes me wonder. Its really going to stand out among the other SMGs, but for better or worse? Lets look at some details of the real deal.

The UMP is a versatile SMG format, available in a few different calibers, but since its confirmed that this is the .45 ACP variant, this part's sorta irrelevant. By locking down the precise model though, we get a sharp idea of the characteristics to expect from this gun. That said, lets start with the biggest difference compared to the rest of the SWAT's arsenal - Rate of Fire. And anyone who's seen a representation of the UMP knows - this thing goes slow.

Like, real slow. Think AK-47 slow. That's because they have the same RoF - 600 RPM - ~10 shots per second. Any slower, and it'd virtually be an automatic Varmint. Compare this to the Kriss, which clocks in at twice that speed - a blistering 1200 RPM (at least the real one does anyways, but KF2's seems on par, if not close). Even the next slowest SMG (MP5) is just under 900 RPM. The given reason for its set fire rate from H&K is that the .45 round is a hard hitter with significant kick, thus creating recoil that would be too unwieldly if it fired as fast as many modern SMGs. Setting it this low lowers the recoil rate to a managable ratio, making it suitable for controlled burst fire.

But does a slower rate of fire necessarily mean better control in a video game? That's the next aspect to focus on - Recoil and Stability. Make no mistake, if Tripwire does this right, there will be kick. But I think the Recoil won't be an issue for most of us.........as long as the stability is there. But it may not be. The MP7, for example, can quickly veer off all over the place if one fires continuously. The MP5, by contrast, is likely the most stable SMG of the bunch, with the P90 right behind it - both are almost laser-like when crouching. Kriss's recoil is mostly self-countering, but instability still mounts up as a result of its crazy RoF. The UMP then, considering the other 4 SMGs, could be super stable then. I don't imagine they want to give us an SMG that's more difficult to use than the others, especially since the other guns are all rather effective in their ease of use.

But reloads will be a major factor. And boy, will there be reloads. Mag size is likely to be the UMP's biggest shortcoming as the only official UMP 45 mag houses just 25 rounds, so that's 50 rounds for a maxed SWAT. Even the MP7 does better. This could be alleviated somewhat by giving the UMP some speedy reload speeds compared to the others, but I don't think it will see such special treatment. Granted, this is one department where Tripwire might opt to not strictly adhere to reality, and simply choose a custom value for the magazine for balance purposes as they see fit. I used to think they did for the first two SMGs but after looking them up, it seems that MP7 does indeed have 30 round mags now (pretty sure it originally only had 20 & 40 round options), and MP5 surprised me with 40 round stick mags. But a low round count of 25 could be easily offset by the one value we really want to know, and thats....

Damage. This is the dealmaker, and will determine (besides pricing) where it fits among the Tiers. Usually, it'd be easy to think of a number that makes sense balance-wise, but this gun is so much different from the others, it's hard to guess. The slow RoF, Recoil, the small mag - they'll all factor in to the balance. Compare to the Kriss, and try to forget that they technically both fire the same round. The Kriss has a damage per shot of 33 (a mere 3 damage higher than the P90), but this is because it spits the rounds out about 33% faster than the other SMGs. So when a gun with a damage of 33 fires 100% faster than the gun in question (with a bigger mag, no less), what would be the ideal damage value of the new gun? It all depends on where they wanna place the UMP in the scheme of things. Will it be a Tier 2? I'm hoping for Tier 3, maybe with a damage value between 44-50. They could surprise us all by making it a Tier 4 with some shockingly high damage, but I don't see that happening. It'd look silly if an UMP could compete with a Kriss, even in a game - the Vector is functionally superior in virtually every aspect.

I understand that this post may not have much point to it since its all pure speculation. Tripwire tends to reveal the weapon stats to new incoming weapons a couple of weeks or so after officially revealing them, so we may get the final details even as soon as this weekend. It'll give us more to discuss. That said, what are your thoughts and opinions on what might be, and what should be?

To me it looks like a T3 weapon, don't ask me why, but the slow ROF can't be countered with less recoil and higher damage to give it the same insane damage output as the Kriss.
So a sidegrade to the P90 would be really neat.

Hopefully not T2, I'd love to have Kriss, P90 and UMP as weapons in my loadout.

Upvote 0
TheUndying;n2308911 said:
To me it looks like a T3 weapon, don't ask me why, but the slow ROF can't be countered with less recoil and higher damage to give it the same insane damage output as the Kriss.
So a sidegrade to the P90 would be really neat.

Hopefully not T2, I'd love to have Kriss, P90 and UMP as weapons in my loadout.

Yeah, this was my best guess. I was also hoping for a similar loadout. Although if it was T4, its crazy high damage might be explained by simply saying it uses non-standard ammo or something. Like, say Kriss simply uses standard stock .45 ACP FMJ since its plentiful and cheap enough, and the Vector blazes through the stuff like the bullet hose it is. But a high damage gun like the UMP will also likely have the smallest ammo pool of all the SMGs, and probably a bit pricey too. In that case, it would be sufficient to say that it uses hard hitter ammo like Federal Premium .45 ACP Hydra-Shok JHP (a jacketed hollow point/armor penetrator combo round). That might even make a good case for giving the UMP some Penetration value, but that's not bloody likely to happen.

But I'm reminded of a detail on the UMP I forgot to bring up initially - it's weight. It's known for being comparatively light to many modern options. It weighs 2.5 kg when empty. Most MP5s weigh a good bit more. Comparing the MP5 RAS to various other MP5s, it seems like its most similar to the MP5A5 RIS, except for the fixed stock. This probably clocks in our MP5 at just under or around 3.0-3.1kg. That means the UMP weighs almost 20% less. If that's not a solid case for giving it a weight rating of 4, I don't know what is. A strong, lightweight T3 gun would be the tops. Finally, med pistols for SWAT!

Upvote 0
I'm thinking 38 to 40 base damage, just enough to 1shot gorefast heads at high level, would be enough to make it feel different, and then that balanced with the 25rd base mag and 600rpm can make a nice tier 3?

For weight, I think the big threshold will be whether SWAT can hold UMP+P90+Kriss, which he can if it's 4, but not if it's 5. If it's 3, he could throw in a medpistol, too. 6 (unlikely) wouldn't be much worse than 5, since SWAT could then still carry UMP, Kriss, and a third SMG. (medsmg)

If it has the base damage I suggested or more, I think it should weigh 5 or 6 and cost 1000+ Dosh.
30 to 36 base damage, 4 weight, ~900D, would be balanced, but a little boring.
20-29dmg, 3wt, ~600D could be cool for the light weight to stand out. Kriss+P90+UMP+Medpistol could be a nice alternate to the kinda redundant Kriss+P90+MedSMG+MedPistol loadout I often use, when taking care to have at least one medgun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I just hope it will behave differently...regardless of it's tier. The SWAT is one of the most straightforward perk in the game and, while that doesn't stop it from being very enjoyable and effective, is kinda detrimental to it's variety.

As many of you pointed out, it will most likely be slower yet packing a stronger punch. That would already be pretty neato. Maybe it could have an extra kick, like an unique attachment for example?

Upvote 0
what i want to know is which tier it will end up on. if 650 Dosh, it would be disappointing since i prefer to skip 650D auto weapons like the L80, MP5 and Medic SMG for the 1100D weapons. and most starting weapons can be solid enough to get you to their with the help of offperking other 200D weapons. while other non-automatic 650D weapons are different enough from the starter weapon to be considered (M79, Dragonbreath, Boomstick) or straight upgrades (Katana, SPX, and a single 1911 has great power and reload speed for a low price).

As SWAT, i perfer to keep the MP7 until i get enough money to buy the P90, its here i think the UMP should compete with. giving you a choice for your workhorse weapon as SWAT for the rest of the game and to help you get money to buy the Vector. are you looking for mag size with the P90 to spray and pray the trash? or would you prefer more raw damage at the cost of mag size with the UMP, but you have what it takes to make every shot count? SWAT finally gets a choice as a P90 competitor.

besides, the 1500D tier should be reserved for real life weapons that are more expensive and/or exotic (SCAR, RPG, AA12, Vector, .500 Magnums) and Fictional Weapons (Railgun, Microwave gun, SeekerSix), which the UMP is neither.

in conclusion, i hope the UMP is a tier 3/1100 Dosh weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SMGs in general have been like nerfed rifles since the first day of their introduction, by this I mean TWI have to slap mag size bonus onto its proficient perk to keep them competitive in the group the full-auto weaponry. The best I could make out of them is from the fact that they are relatively light and may spare me a couple of carry capacity, and I believe the same will continue with the upcoming UMP45 given that has been their source of viability thus far.

As for the gun itself, I just hope for TWI will get the firing sound right as of now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scrublord;n2309085 said:
I'm imagining that it'd would be kind of a T2.5. Somwhere around 900 dosh. Not quite as fancy as a p90, but fancier than an MP5. I don't really see how it would be a T4. Those have to be pretty fancy, and the UMP is a fairly standard, stock, middle-of-the-road kind of gun.

caliber, since kriss also uses 45 acp.

Would be interesting if weapons kf2 had proper bullet properties, like acp being hard hitting bullet, p90's 5'7 piercing through ammo... Aka dealing more dmg to metal parts than standard gun round... Higher caliber having more stumble and maybe kill 2 zeds in a colat..
But oh well.... Tho not so oh well, would be nice if player hitboxes didnt block damb bullets that have no penetration... Makes like for swat and mando that much more difficult than it already is... Especially mando.

Upvote 0
Servalion;n2308902 said:
So. New gun incoming. Yay! Oh, and the Freezethrower too. That's such a custom concept that I'll leave that up to Tripwire.

You don't have the option of NOT leaving it up to tripwire; the gun's been available for Xbox One since like, Summer Sideshow. We already know what it does and how it works; it hasn't been a concept for six months now.

That aside, a slow but steady BHUM BUM BUM BUM would be magical.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping it lives up to its name and hits like a 45 should. Slower cyclic rate and maybe smaller base magazine size in return for higher per shot damage than the Kriss would be reasonable. Hopefully with some above average stumble power too.

Edit: So I was curious and decided to see the actual fire rate of the UMP and it's only around 600 RPM. If they're going for absolute realism but also having balance they did really crank the per hit damage with such a low firerate. Probably around the M1911's damage. Plus with a 25 round box mag it could be the SWAT's equivalent of a SCAR H.

I think that the UMP both looking beefier than the average SMG and using a big ol' 45 round should be integral to how it performs both functionally and aesthetically. Every shot should feel like it's causing a world of hurt, ripping chunks off zeds and leaving the survivors shaken. A nice loud report with some good bass so you feel its power almost as much as the zeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUndying
Upvote 0
Zerginfestor;n2309394 said:
Should definitely pack more firepower than the Kriss in return for it's slower RoF, smaller mag, and the use of .45, so it might be the T4 sidegrade to the Kriss. Wonder what kind of attachments they'll add to the sucker, should be interesting!

what exactly do you expect? you can see clearly grip and holographic sight, that's it

Attachments

• screenshot220.png
    screenshot220.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
There is no reasonable reason UMP45 would be tier IV. If anything, tier III is already pushing it. Some special high damage ammo and light weight could make it solid tier III, but thats it, rof is still too low for it to compete with kriss vector. Or it could be priced somewhere between 650 and 1100 dosh. Im just hoping it wont end up as useless, like some other weapons.

Upvote 0