• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Xbow - is this the final form?

Gladius;n2305355 said:
Calling fleshpounds "faps" is making me cringe.

The xbow can already kill 6pHoE Scrakes in 3 hits. If you ask for more, you ask for 2 hits and that is ridiculous.

It's all about pounding dat hard flesh. Also, thematically when you kill one it feels like a minor ejaculation, which also makes it appropriate. Altogether, I like it.

Other than that, 3 hits? Really? In my observations they already take like 4 headshots IIRC on hard, and that's level 25 with the crouch perk and all the damage-related perks... then again, it's been a while since I've used xbow for anything except lulz or while I couldn't afford railgun, but then again it's almost 50/50 between deciding to just spam centerfire at their face... and maybe my memory is bad.

I agree about xbow recyclability - it's an interesting idea. But not enough to make it a really good option IMO... also the mechanic of "oh, wow, I killed that scrake, now let me run behind that choke point that everyone is shooting into to get my arrows TWICE while my perks are oriented towards camping crouched at a distance" is pretty annoying.

As far as stun, that's also very interesting. The problem with stun is like the problem with all zedtime effects - they're inconsistent and introduce reliance on sheer randomness in a game where I'd rather have skill, or at least options and alternatives for randomness vs skill.

At least, if the xbow headshots didn't unfreeze specimens, that'd be something...

Anyway, sharpshooter is a very high problem perk though. It was like that in KF1 as well, to a large extent. There's no other perk where (with a railgun) I can just sit in a random place in the map on hard with a 6p team, and just thrive completely alone. With most other perks, you depend on your team for teamwork. With sharpshooter, it's kinda like "I can handle anything by myself." Put a swat or commando focused on trash next to a sharpshooter and you've got the recipe.

If anything, because sharpshooter arguably currently is, and IMO should be even better at killing large specimens at high distances, I think the way to balance this ridiculous power is to make him almost completely useless against smaller specimens - then there is actually a reason and incentive for them to seek teamwork.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried a couple of xbow + M14 games on Hard and Suicidal (not good enough with either weapon to try HoE yet, too used to railgun+lever). Xbow + M14 is a really solid combo if you have another big zed killer on the team. It works well with demos since their shots stumble big zeds so often. If you miss an xbow shot because of explosive stumble, it isn't as heartbreaking as missing a railgun shot. The demo can handle FPs, and I can still kill scrakes pretty reliably with the xbow or M14, either one. I also did fine using xbow + M14 with another sharpshooter who had a railgun setup. We were one-two punching scrakes because a lot of our shots were timed similarly. A big advantage of xbow + M14 is you can also equip a medic pistol and be below full carry capacity (no max capacity speed deduction) with the ability to heal teammates. I still favor the lever action + railgun setup, but xbow + M14 has a lot more going for it than I thought.

Upvote 0