• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pacing issue with medium lenght.

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    Nearing my 1k hours into the game and there is something that wasn't really adressed and its mediun lenght.

I for one enjoy playing medium since it takes about half an hour to complete a map which keeps things interesting, unlike long where it takes forever to get to wave 7 for some real action.... And here lies the problem.

Long may be boring but it has the highest amount of zed spawn in the game which medium lacks... Like literally, sc and fp's don't spawn in same quantity as at long and zed amount is small that you just can't get overrun and can easily lollygag with 1 rifle and still have shots left..... Which is quite boring if im being honest.. (and yes i mostly play suicidal because i want to chill and not tryhard like some of you "celebrities" that play only hoe)

Could we please get changes to the medium so zed amount would actually match the long game and so that wave 5 6 7 was actually action packed like wave 7-10 at long and be a walk in the park with barely anything to shoot.

And for community to host more servers on medium since its quite a lackluster there.

Buzzkillinton;n2304698 said:
    i've noticed that the spawns seem slower lately..several of us were actually commenting how slow the spawns were on HOE the other day. there were multiple times that we were just standing around for 5 or 10 seconds with nothing spawning. i wonder if something was changed behind the scenes.

Probably because of the smaller amount of zeds that are on medium... as if game compensates the wave lenght by spawning zeds slower than on long.......
    Is it me or game conductor got removed? it should ramp up the action most of the time if players do good, but it seems as if the difficulty curve is static again and dynamically nothing changed... well except for clot type, crawlers and stalkers becoming Usain Bolt's all of a sudden :D

Reactions: Buzzkillinton
    Upvote 0
    infntnub;n2305201 said:
    For what it's worth s5yn, once I have my server sorted out I'm leaving it on medium/suicidal as a default. Trying to figure out how to get all the custom KF1 maps to work since that was mainly why I wanted to get my own server (KF1 in HD :)).

keep it to long, even hoe medium that i just had was the most boring game ever... It felt like i was playing on normal, all because that zeds weren't pouring in like it does in long

Upvote 0
    infntnub;n2305206 said:
    I actually kind of like Suicidal/Medium and HOE/Medium - I agree though, they both lack in the overall # of zed department.

Long matches just take.. too long (ironically). I do not care for 50+ minute games lol.

same, thats why im asking for these buggers in their studio to take a look and fix the pacing issue... I can't take long games anymore, takes too long and its boring by the time action kicks in xd

Upvote 0
    Game conductor hasn't been removed, it's still it's thing. As for spawn pacing, most the time I play its on a server with the maxplayers mut, not always to have increased players but for the maxzed increase. It's white listed so you can crank up how many zeds are alive at once. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=675314991 Performance balance is an issue when looking at increasing zeds alive all the time and upping spawns and numbers.

Upvote 0
    Kittenmittens;n2305843 said:
    Game conductor hasn't been removed, it's still it's thing. As for spawn pacing, most the time I play its on a server with the maxplayers mut, not always to have increased players but for the maxzed increase. It's white listed so you can crank up how many zeds are alive at once. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=675314991 Performance balance is an issue when looking at increasing zeds alive all the time and upping spawns and numbers.

yeh but im the guy that plays mostly vanilla so the mutator doesn't interest me, all im asking is for the pace to match to the long game without the need of mutators, as of now the difference between how many mini bosses spawn in medium vs long is nearly 1:4...

right now i played, only on the last wave did a big group of scrakes and fleshpounds spawned during the entire map, while on long it would be 4th or even 5th time when a big group spawns in like that.

just to give you an example, on long im barely making out the wave with 1 gun still having some ammo left whilr other is empty, on medium in worst case scenario i just need 1 gun and i will still have half of the ammo pool left for the next wave, and thats with 6 people.... (both instances on sui)

its just no win win situation, medium lighter which should keep the fun going but boring through out.
    long more exciting but extremely boring getting to the 7th wave where fun begins...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    s5yn3t;n2305851 said:
    yeh but im the guy that plays mostly vanilla so the mutator doesn't interest me, all im asking is for the pace to match to the long game without the need of mutators, as of now the difference between how many mini bosses spawn in medium vs long is nearly 1:4...

right now i played, only on the last wave did a big group of scrakes and fleshpounds spawned during the entire map, while on long it would be 4th or even 5th time when a big group spawns in like that.

just to give you an example, on long im barely making out the wave with 1 gun still having some ammo left whilr other is empty, on medium in worst case scenario i just need 1 gun and i will still have half of the ammo pool left for the next wave, and thats with 6 people.... (both instances on sui)

its just no win win situation, medium lighter which should keep the fun going but boring through out.
    long more exciting but extremely boring getting to the 7th wave where fun begins...

I will pass your request on up the chain. :) We are actually looking at some possible tweaks to pacing and spawns for a future update.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    This still needs a lot of attention, despite the changes that were supposedly included in the last update.

Waves 5, 6, and 7 still suffer from a noticeable lack of Fleshpound action. If you're lucky you will see groups of 3+ Scrakes or a 4-pack of QP's.

Overall the length of the game hits the "sweet spot" for my personal liking but the lack of large zeds to dance with in later waves still leaves a lot to be desired.

Please continue to look at this...

For now the fun in the final waves on "long" still outweighs the fact I need to sit through a few extra boring waves to start.

Upvote 0
    Yep, medium is still wank, amount of zeds doesn't match with the amount of long late game, and the somewhat real action happens on last wave, and that you have to be lucky with the conductor, will it spawn more mini bosses or just spawn couple of scrakes and 1-2 fp and call it a day..

Upvote 0
    oldmidget;n2309719 said:
    are you guys complaining abotu spawn pacing on TWI maps or custom maps?

official maps

On long there's a lot of zeds that keep the action going and a generous amount of mini bosses.

on medium, you'd be lucky to have action last wave, since 6 of them ir just kill a group, pause, kill another group, pause, try not to fall asleep, oh look scrake (1shot kill from sharp from affar) k nvm, back to the usual.

twi really needs to increase zed amount for medium to match the long game, and increase spawnrate by additional 15-20% and increase chance of mini bosses spawn as well.. Because in usual circumstances you can complete a medium game on sui-hoe in 25-28 min with no losses and no satisfaction (benny bennassi music playing)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I just played 2 matches, back to back on HoE, Zed's Landing. One Medium, one Long.
    On medium I got about 3 scrakes, 2 husks, and a FP on 7/7
    On Hard, I got 4Scrakes, 5FP AT ONCE halfway through the round (not QP's FP's!) on 9/10 - I died to the last 3 Crawlers ;( but they were totally different games. Medium was honestly lacklustre, and Long was Hecktic, Stressful, and 'not fun' but totally fun. I've never seen spawns like that in a 6 man HoE.

Something is broken with the Balancing Guy.
    notably, on wave 8/10 I got NO big zeds at all, so I blasted through that round. Maybe he backed it off on wave 8 then it was too easy so he RAMPED IT UP on 9?

Upvote 0