• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

T1 weapons you consider viable for 10 waves

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Just a general observation/thought that came to mind last night...

Long story short -> not all T1 weapons are created equally. Are there any you consider an option to keep in your loadout the entire game?

My personal list is pretty short:

HX25 (Demo)

I made a comment recently in a different thread regarding this weapon.

Overall, I feel it's underappreciated. Understanding that some people prefer to carry an off perk option with their RPG to deal with trash or close range threats, but this little monster clears out the low level trash efficiently enough while also having the potential to cash in on MULTIPLE nuke bubbles.

Yes, the damage of a nuke from the hx25 is low when compared to an m79 or RPG (I wont pretend to know the exact numbers) but it's fantastic at creating safety for your group if trash is swarming while you deal with larger threats. Even if it doesn't kill them outright it slows the hordes to a crawl which is also a big help.

If you get into the habit of leading with a melee attack prior to firing you can mow through small groups of trash very quickly.

SG500 (Support)

There is nothing overly good or bad about this shotgun, other than the fact you spawn with it and it does a "good enough" job to justify keeping in your loadout while saving money for a higher tier option (aa12/m4). Or you can go very cost effecient and just keep this and run a boomstick with it, freeing up more dosh to feed your teammates (help the medic get their AR or the demo to get their RPG much sooner).

Does anyone else find any T1 weapons useful beyond the early waves - whether it be the same ones I have listed here or others?

Curious to hear.

yea i can personally use the hx25 for all the waves. i really dont like the m79, especially when running DOW with the faster reload perk.

besides that... medic pistol? only to heal people though, when im playing medic i drop that **** and go for AR/shotty ASAP. i will however main it with gunslinger for a while because its amazing to use with him so add that.

Caulk n burn isnt unreasonable either, although i rarely take it to wave 10 unless i repetitively **** up and my team hates me. i would never choose to take it to wave 10 though, way too long to kill bigs.

thats it for me

Upvote 0
I always buy the SG500 and/or Winchester before buying ammo for a better/on-perk gun when poor.
When sold, each gun returns 150 dosh. It's a steal. And the starter ammo in just one of those guns is enough to get through an early round... unless you HoE.

No love for the slow reloading HX25 from me!
  • HX25: 1.17 sec (reload perk)
  • SG500: .48 sec (off-perk)
  • Winchester: .45 sec (off-perk)

Upvote 0
HoE Wave 10, Firebug with Chalk & Burn + Trenchgun and with perk heatwave with ground fire.

Though with the flamethrower and if we are in an enclosed area with a or more 90 degree corner wall(s) plus my teammates are busy a couple of big ones, I can wall off one or two Scrakes or FPs into the corners. With Chalk & Burn, I can wall off maybe just one FP. A literal application of firewall lol.

Upvote 0
HMTECH-101
Unless you're playing the Medic perk or have cross-perk Medic weapons, the Medic Pistol is a weapon you should always have by the time Scrakes are spawning. Additionally, it can also decapitate clots regardless of difficulty, giving you a serviceable fallback weapon if your perk guns are empty.

Crovel Survival Tool
Because you're going to need an ammoless melee weapon if you're rolling with the Pulverizer. Ideally, the Katana would give you a better gun to carry, though the addition of the Spitfires does allow the Crovel/Pulv combo to make for a less expensive alternative to Katana/Pulv/mPistol/P90

SG-500
Even with the current balance changes, I find that the SG500 still remains to be a powerful off-perk option, and with the Support's carry capacity being a passive skill, I actually find that SG500+AA12 is more serviceable, since you have the SG500 for trash and less complicated mediums while the AA12 can handle the big guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think any T1 weapon is viable through a whole game, but it's true that some are good up until the FPs shows up (and even a bit afterward).

I'd would say :

SG-500 ,just like the normal shotgun from KF1, that mad beast is great against everything safe for big zeds, but the support even have frag grenades...Allowing him to melt fleshpounds anyhow.

The HX-25 is incredibly solid as well and again, with the dynamite, the demo can survive for a loooong time with only those weapons. Only issue being ammo and reload speed...

I would have said the LAR, but I'll have to say that I mostly use the Centerfire now... Buuuut it can make you last through the whole game once you get it.

The crövel is also very satisfying to use and I often keep it for way longer than I should...

Upvote 0
Let's see...
  • Crovel
    100% more effective for blocking and parrying than perk knives, and more useful than Katana for faster switch-on (equip) time as it'll give you more margin (both in time and distance) when a FP is charging at you.
  • HMTech-101
    Grants the capability to heal teammates from a distance for 1 blocks.
  • AR-15 Varmint Rifle
    Dealing the same damage as the tier-2 SA-80 for 4 blocks of weight sounds nice, being able to down 4 Crawlers in a second or so is even nicer, but having the ability to recoil jump away from enemy lunges is far far far more useful.
  • SG-500 PAS
    Dealing 160 base dmg per shot will prove adequate for fending off Alpha Clots and Gorefiends, but weighing for 5 blocks makes it completely obsolete by comparison of the Boomstick and the overpowered HZ12 as long as more advanced options of such are affordable.
  • HX-25 GP
    Desirable option to use on-perk alongside with heavy weapons like RPG-7 to clear small Zeds, though the Boomstick is ultimately more useful.
  • C&B
    Allows full utilization to perk skills for 5 blocks but inherently weak and worthless by comparison of how much the classic Boomstick+HMTech-101 combo can offer.
  • Dual 1858 Revolers
    Practically out-performed by any other more advanced pistols when used either on-perk or off-perk.
  • 1894 LAR
    Deals the greatest per shot damage across all tier-1 weaponry, will prove adequate when used alongside with the Railgun to nail small Zeds except it being too heavy for this purpose alone when the classic combo that cost the same weight can offer far more.
  • MP7 SMG
    HMTech-201 SMG is better if affordable, which it should be given it'll only take 3 blocks to carry whereas the MP7 takes 4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zidious G;n2301421 said:
Winchester is awesome. Powerful and high rate of fire. That and railgun makes a perfect combo but now with the Centerfire being cheap and scoped I rather use that than Winchester. I found that one important thing with the Centerfire is that it oneshots Husks on headshot while Winchester takes two shots. It has helped a lot.:D

One of my favorite things to do at this moment is to play gunslinger with both lever actions. I really don't need anything else but a healing pistol after that!

Edit: Others mentioned the crovel. I forgot about that. Love that weapon too, always stick with it rather than buying a katana.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feel free to call me slow.. but I'm just now realizing when people are referring to "Centerfire" they're referring to a new gun...

When did this come along? Same time as flares and the hz12?

~edit~

Yeah.. completely missed that with the hz12 announcement in June... guess I'm not as caught up as I thought.

Time to play some slinger and sharpie this weekend I guess.

Upvote 0