• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can I replace the AR15?

The_Pharoah

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2011
I'll be honest, of all the weapons on the game, the AR15 model is the ugliest, esp the straight magazine. Surely TWI has seen what most assault rifles use IRL ie. curved mags. So is there a mod or something that can replace the model ingame? eg. to an M16 or something.

the stick mag is great, something unique.

anyways as far as a complete model replacement, i dont think you will find something on the workshop. maybe another website but im not sure.

i know you can get any skin you want on the workshop for free, it will just be client side so nobody else will be able to see it and you wont be able to trade or sell it.

Reactions: hulker
Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2300982 said:
the stick mag is great, something unique.

anyways as far as a complete model replacement, i dont think you will find something on the workshop. maybe another website but im not sure.

i know you can get any skin you want on the workshop for free, it will just be client side so nobody else will be able to see it and you wont be able to trade or sell it.

I agree. You can get any skin for free on the workshop.

Upvote 0
The_Pharoah;n2300979 said:
I'll be honest, of all the weapons on the game, the AR15 model is the ugliest, esp the straight magazine. Surely TWI has seen what most assault rifles use IRL ie. curved mags. So is there a mod or something that can replace the model ingame? eg. to an M16 or something.

because it is a 9mm AR15. 9mm cases are straight, therefore a straight mag. in a normal ar15, which is 5.56 nato, or an AK, the rifle cases are tapered, which cause that curving when they are stacked. the straight stick mag is accurate.

Upvote 0
Buzzkillinton;n2301015 said:
9mm cases are straight, therefore a straight mag. in a normal ar15, which is 5.56 nato, or an AK, the rifle cases are tapered, which cause that curving when they are stacked. the straight stick mag is accurate.
That is not exactly accurate. 9x19mm is tapered too. There are curved 9mm mags. Even for 9mm AR-15. It's simply a design choice. The straight mags are just cheaper to produce.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2301052 said:
That is not exactly accurate. 9x19mm is tapered too. There are curved 9mm mags. Even for 9mm AR-15. It's simply a design choice. The straight mags are just cheaper to produce.

to be honest you could make a straight or tapered magazine for any gun with that type of layout. its just a design choice and i personally think its a good one.

Upvote 0
It used to make more sense, when the straight mag ingame emphasized that it's just a pistol cartridge and not a high powered rifle. Those differences got diluted with the current varmint rifle buffs though.

Personally I like the choice of an ingame weapon that is a little bit different from what is commonly represented in every other game already. I hope we will see more excotic weapons in the future, instead of that boring mainstream stuff, that is already overrepresented in pop-culture.

Upvote 0
The 9mm AR15 was the perfect choice for the commando tier 1.
To fit commando, it's a variant of one of the most iconic assault rifles.
To fit being tier 1 and weaker than all the other assault rifles, it's technically a SMG, shooting weaker pistol rounds.
And that little stick mag is realistic to a 9mm AR15.
9mm_ar15_mag.jpg

But eventually, with the disruptions to balance that came with the resistances and the gorefasts' head health increase, the 9mm AR15 wound up with equal damage to the 5.56 guns in game, SA80/M16/Stoner.
So now the looks don't correlate to the damage, and there's less reason to bother with SA80 over the AR15. A shame.
I'd like to see AR15 be the weakest again, by having the SA80 and M16 and maybe Stoner improved just a bit, with their base damage upped from 30 to 32. Just enough to 1shot stalker bodies with L25 Hollow Point and 1shot gorefast heads with L25 Eat Lead.

Anyways, alternate options to the AR15 could be cool, yeah, but don't hold your breath.
I don't know a lot about modding for KF2, but the impression that I get is that KF2 doesn't really support weapon mods well enough for them to be easily used enough for modders to bother making many of them. It's not like L4D2 where you can easily subscribe to a mod that makes a gun have a whole new model and animation and set of sounds, and have that mod apply while you play on any regular server you like.
You can change the textures easily enough, which is nice for things like the garish default skin of the KF2 1911, but that can't really make something a whole new gun.

If they were to officially add more tier 1 weapons to the game, that could be a way to replace the AR15 and have a whole new gun with different gameplay available. A new menu so you could choose whether you spawn with the ar15 or the other new thing would help a lot with making that worthwhile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll be honest, of all the weapons on the game, the AR15 model is the ugliest, esp the straight magazine.

If you're saying the result of hashing together a modernized Clot 9mm SMG with mods is... less than pretty... then I suppose you have a point.

If everything else, well, a fair amount of AR-15 based pistol carbines came out in last year's shot show, and I must they they aren't looking so bad.

Upvote 0
... the AR15 model is the ugliest, esp the straight magazine. Surely TWI has seen what most assault rifles use IRL

Yes. They have.

That is a Rock River Arms 9mm AR15. With a straight magazine. TWI did not make a mistake, they chose to use a pistol caliber AR15 pattern rifle rather than the normal .223/5.56mm variant we are used to seeing.

Reactions: oldmidget
Upvote 0