• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pipebombs: Choose your style

Chrys[ITA]

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Italy, Marche
I played both killing floor over 400 hours, and i have to admit that demolition is my favourite perk in both Killing Floor. As a lover of demo, i don't use C4 like i used pipebombs in the first game, infact when i play kf2 i buy c4 only 2 matches on 10, while when i play to kf1 i use pipebombs almost always. What i'm saying is that we need pipebombs, even if we have C4. They are more tactical and useful, even if depends by the game style of the player. Then, we can have more choice to fight zeds, with two types of explosives.

Last edited:
+1 for the return of pipebombs.

They allow for a completely different play style opposed to c4 and it was a lot of fun to play with in the first game.

The only concern then becomes what happens to c4? It's already used a lot less than the pipes were in KF1. I doubt TWI wants to see the weapon become completely forgotten...

Is there some type of tweak that can be done to c4 in parallel to adding pipes to keep them relevant? Something to think about..

Upvote 0
i think they need to remove the C4 damage debuff when used too quickly.

i forget how it works exactly, i think its if you trigger a C4 in less than 3 seconds from your last, the damage is reduce 50%.

anyways C4 is unpopular enough where i think they can remove this nonsensical balance idea(if its still there)

2c

Upvote 0
I personally use C4 as a trigger-on-demand grenade by throwing it at large Zeds-- But the problem is, it takes ~3 C4s to down a Fleshpound on Suicidal! I assume this is the aforementioned debuff in effect.

Given its small ammo pool and relatively modest explosion radius, plus the fact that you only get 1 charge per ammo drop, it is not a weapon that can carry a team through a wave-- Especially since the M79 (equal tier) does a better job clearing trash, so the C4s are always overkill OR underkill i.e. there are no small/medium Zed spawns that benefit from its damage, nor are there large Zed spawns that do. Moreover, it does not even provide higher stumbling power (would gain some functionality if it has a higher chance of blowing large Zeds off their feet), so FP and SCs walk right over the explosions no problem.

So that brings us back to the question: what does the C4 DO exactly? It feels as if TWI handed the Demolition an extra piece of the puzzle in an already completed puzzle!

Upvote 0
We've already got deployable explosives that are underwhelming and have no altfire. Rather than adding pipe bombs, C4 should be improved by having pipe bombs' functionality added to them along with their current use. You press altfire with C4, and you throw a C4 that your manual detonator doesn't work on, but rather, it detonates when enough zed weight in is proximity to it.

And for zeds that aren't bosses, remove C4's stacking resistance.
(first c4 to hit a zed does full damage, the next only does 0.75x damage, next 0.56x damage (0.75^2), next 0.42x damage (0.75^3), etc. It resets to full damage if that zed doesn't get hit by C4 for three seconds.)

A more interesting way I'd like to see pipe bombs' detonation style get added to kf2 is an altfire for a pancor jackhammer with explosive shells. You detach the loaded cylinder, activate a detonator that horzine integrated into it, and drop it, forming a landmine with variable power based on how many shells were left in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanspotatobusiness
Upvote 0
Utopia-Phoenix;n2300987 said:
I'd recommend to bring back the "pipebomb" in KF1, but replace the model with something more formal. Something like a military landmine. Like this.

This is a GLD-260 antitank mine with magnetic fuze- only a vehicle can trigger it. In game it can be designed as "must be triggered by big zeds".

that would look cool.

only question then is how to balance it.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2300989 said:
that would look cool.

only question then is how to balance it.

If I remember correctly, in KF1, a stack of 2 pipebombs from LV6 demolitionist would instantly kill a 6 men HOE FP standing on it despite the fact that the "damage reduction" is ENABLED. I reckon that the explosive-chain resistance is useless to any enemy other than the bosses. However, in KF2 the C4 charges are far from eliminating 6 men HOE fleshpounds with a pair of them. I think its damage must be boosted to the value that 2 C4s can instantly kill a 6-men HOE FP in KF2.

Calculation data, for KF1:
6 men HOE FP body health: 5906
FP pipebomb vulnerability ratio: 2.0x
Pipebomb damage, planted by LV6 demo, explosion center: 2400
Damage from a stack of 2 pipebombs to thus FP: 8400 (2 bombs are 1.75X damage)

Calculation data, for KF2:
6 men HOE FP body health: 5310
FP C4 vulnerability ratio: 1.5x
C4 damage, planted by LV25 demo with bombardier, explosion center: 1230
Damage from a stack of 2 C4s to thus FP: 3229 (2 bombs are 1.75X damage)

See the difference? 2 pipebombs are enough to instantly kill a 6 men HOE fp in KF1 while only damage 3/5 of its total health in KF2. It's BAD dude, it's terrible. This needs to be changed. For eliminating FP's sake I'd recommend the pipebomb damage to be AT LEAST back to 1500 (which is the damage standard of KF1). With 1500 damage a stack of 2 C4s will dish out 5906 damage and instantly kill him. (Thus effects require the bombardier perk as well as the FP being CLOSE enough to the C4 charge, preferably sticked onto him)

Upvote 0
only use for c4 is to load up patty so if he tries to run away and is really low, you may be able to finish him off with detonantions instead of him healing. in single player, this works insanely well...makes patty trivial for a demo.

in fact, if everyone would use c4 and load patty up, and all detonante when he runs to heal, no team should ever fail on him.

Upvote 0
Buzzkillinton;n2301016 said:
only use for c4 is to load up patty so if he tries to run away and is really low, you may be able to finish him off with detonantions instead of him healing. in single player, this works insanely well...makes patty trivial for a demo.

in fact, if everyone would use c4 and load patty up, and all detonante when he runs to heal, no team should ever fail on him.

the skill is in not getting killed first.

Upvote 0