• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Don't Quite Understand Crossbow's Hitbox

TheAphabet

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2017
I mean, how is it that you can stare down the scope with the scrake's head dead center, while crouching and stationary-- And not hit anything at all? Not even the scrake's body? I calibrated my aim by shooting at a wall between rounds and check my shot; while the arrow has travel time, it does not seem to have a significant arc (if any).

My point is, why does it seem like the arrows cross into the shadow realm before exiting the scrakes without hitting them?

Last edited:
Not sure if you're talking about this, but I do still see my arrows/grenades/rockets flying above my crosshair and into the sky occasionally. Its a bug that's been around a long while, though it became significantly less frequent after TWI patched it...it wasn't rare to have 3 out of 5 projectile shots straying from the crosshair and flying into random directions.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2294643 said:
its the travel time. you have to anticipate it.

the answer is in your question.

Well, straight shots, but still missed though? Travel time is probably more relevant to shots where scrakes are walking perpendicular to your shot, but I usually do head-on shots because they are easier (scrakes walking towards scope). That's kind of why I'm curious there isn't even a body shot registered, though I can be mistaken using the audio cue (hit sound) and visual cues (Zeds flinching) to determine whether an arrow hits.

Shadaaaa said:
Not sure if you're talking about this, but I do still see my arrows/grenades/rockets flying above my crosshair and into the sky occasionally. Its a bug that's been around a long while, though it became significantly less frequent after TWI patched it...it wasn't rare to have 3 out of 5 projectile shots straying from the crosshair and flying into random directions.

I see, if it is still in effect, that is interesting to know because it is hard to keep track of arrow path in the heat of things.

Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2294662 said:
Well, straight shots, but still missed though? Travel time is probably more relevant to shots where scrakes are walking perpendicular to your shot, but I usually do head-on shots because they are easier (scrakes walking towards scope). That's kind of why I'm curious there isn't even a body shot registered, though I can be mistaken using the audio cue (hit sound) and visual cues (Zeds flinching) to determine whether an arrow hits.

when a scrake walks straight at you his head bobs side to side enough so that if you aim while its on one side, or even the middle, due to that left and right head motion with each step, your arrow can go right past due to the timing. if you truly aim at his head, then to the left is right is just air, no body. if you are missing vertically, then you are just missing.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2294664 said:
when a scrake walks straight at you his head bobs side to side enough so that if you aim while its on one side, or even the middle, due to that left and right head motion with each step, your arrow can go right past due to the timing.

Pretty sure that the head bob isn't actually significant enough to cause a total miss while the scrake is walking; running maybe, because he flails his head around. Would need a second opinion on that.

Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2294669 said:
Pretty sure that the head bob isn't actually significant enough to cause a total miss while the scrake is walking; running maybe, because he flails his head around. Would need a second opinion on that. it moves more then you think because his whole torso moves tot he left+right with each step. his

it definitely is. the fact it moves at all means it can cause a miss if your reticle wasnt directly centered in his head. especially with all the hand waving and taunts he does while walking.

flesh pound too. although to a lesser extent.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2294741 said:
it definitely is. the fact it moves at all means it can cause a miss if your reticle wasnt directly centered in his head. especially with all the hand waving and taunts he does while walking.

flesh pound too. although to a lesser extent.

Yes, but since the head bob is less than the width of a head (maybe 1/8th the head width), I suspect one would have to be a horrible shot to get a complete miss at 5~15 paces away. To that, I can say that there is no motive to NOT aim at the head's centroid when taking head shots, i.e. sharpshooters reduce said chances of missing by aiming center of the oscillation.

That is to say, of the shots that I 'missed', most of them are neither far nor tricky shots (discounting perpendicular head tracking since that is harder). They involve shots where you see the scrake staring straight down your scope in your face (i.e. 5~15 paces away), so yes, it is still unusual that those shots missed the head and body completely.

While you may crop it up to my skill level, the fact that the LAR, M14EBR and railgun do not present the same problem show that the problem extends beyond skill level to the underlying mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2294753 said:
Yes, but since the head bob is less than the width of a head (maybe 1/8th the head width), I suspect one would have to be a horrible shot to get a complete miss at 5~15 paces away. To that, I can say that there is no motive to NOT aim at the head's centroid when taking head shots, i.e. sharpshooters reduce said chances of missing by aiming center of the oscillation.

That is to say, of the shots that I 'missed', most of them are neither far nor tricky shots (discounting perpendicular head tracking since that is harder). They involve shots where you see the scrake staring straight down your scope in your face (i.e. 5~15 paces away), so yes, it is still unusual that those shots missed the head and body completely.

While you may crop it up to my skill level, the fact that the LAR, M14EBR and railgun do not present the same problem show that the problem extends beyond skill level to the underlying mechanics.

do you have any video? i dont have this problem personally.

if you think its a problem with the hitbox specifically i think there is a way to view them in the kf2 editor, but i dont know how.

ill test

Upvote 0
ive done some tests and watched his movement. he in fact does sway back and forth enough so that you can very easily miss your crossbow shot when hes +10m away(estimation). in addition to this i noticed that occasionally he will take an extra large step to his right, and your left which is hard to notice(esepcially while ADS with crossbow). because of the crossbows high magnification while zoomed in, this effect is still very noticeable at close range.

also i noticed his head would move up and down as well, and his head would not do the same back and forth/ up and down motion with each step, i didnt notice a pattern.

i tested this by spawning just a scrake and aiming my crosshair at his head once and then leaving it still. in doing this his head was not in the middle of the crosshair most of the time he walked toward me. it was like this until he got very close(the range at which i would just noscope if he was heading right at me.)

im not saying you occasionally miss but....

maybe someone will find the actual hitboxes in the kf2 editor like i said, but these are my observations of my own game.

Optimistic summary: it strikes me as TWI realizing the scrakes head hitbox was wonkered in KF1, and thats a thing that made the headpopping so great. as far as i can tell they wanted a scrake headshot to be more difficult so they added these very fluid animations so as to have that sort of skill necessary for the scrake in a way that isnt just buggy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I did run some offline sessions as tests, but did not experience trouble hitting scrake and fp heads at <=50 meters (or so), as you mentioned. Which kind of makes me wonder whether server latency is a factor as well, although the crossbow's projectile seems instantaneous enough to not make it matter and my ping is usually <60ms.

Er, well, I suppose I am okay saying that it is a non-issue with enough compensation.

Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2294769 said:
Well, I did run some offline sessions as tests, but did not experience trouble hitting scrake and fp heads at <=50 meters (or so), as you mentioned. Which kind of makes me wonder whether server latency is a factor as well, although the crossbow's projectile seems instantaneous enough to not make it matter and my ping is usually <60ms.

Er, well, I suppose I am okay saying that it is a non-issue with enough compensation.

i wasnt saying i was having trouble hitting his head. i didnt shoot at all or move my crosshair to adjust my aim because it would have undermined the reason i was running the test. i was trying to assure myself that given enough distance to the target, and a slow enough projectile, that at some point when a scrake is walking directly at you, it is possible to shoot with your crosshair at his head and have the projectile miss.

Upvote 0
Ooh, yeah I gotcha. Well, I don't find it an issue while using the crossbow, since the projectile speed doesn't seem slow enough to be affected by the head displacement, i.e. the head position doesn't change much between firing and hitting, since I had no problems hitting scrape and fp heads from a distance in offline without making much adjustments, other than for walking.

Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2294881 said:
Ooh, yeah I gotcha. Well, I don't find it an issue while using the crossbow, since the projectile speed doesn't seem slow enough to be affected by the head displacement, i.e. the head position doesn't change much between firing and hitting, since I had no problems hitting scrape and fp heads from a distance in offline without making much adjustments, other than for walking.

well if its a problem you have playing MP and not offline then my next guess is connection. does it happen on every MP server? does its effect worsen and lessen from server to server, game to game?

Upvote 0
Kothre;n2295110 said:
I haven't played KF2 much lately so I don't know if this has been fixed, but I know there at least used to be an issue where all projectiles just do not go where you aim them. Happens (or happened) with the crossbow, RPG, and Eviscerator all the damn time. You're not crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCwcsygElqA

the scrakes elevation went down and he moved to the left in the time between his shot and when the RPG went past the scrake.

it was definitely a problem with the evicerator though.

Upvote 0
In this game, player's character is not a 'perfect gunhead', meaning you should factor in the angle deviation of your aim relative to the actual projectile trajectory.

Practically speaking, if you're aiming at the mouth/jaw of a target that's taller than you (which represents by Scrake in this case) there it is quite likely that you'll hit it in the neck instead.

My advice? Place your aim at their forehead - or right on top of their head when they're charging at you.

Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2295151 said:
the scrakes elevation went down and he moved to the left in the time between his shot and when the RPG went past the scrake.

it was definitely a problem with the evicerator though.

It is/was still a problem with the RPG. That wasn't even my footage, but my friend's, and it was a minor incident comparatively speaking. If I was capable of recording I could give 100 instances of crap like that happening where it's clearly a the RPG shooting off to the side.

Upvote 0