• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flashlights in every game.... Tripwire please explain

callumg1988

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Hey all, I saw this critique on Jim Sterlings Jimquisition a while ago and using flashlight again in KF I'm inclined to agree. Why do games still insist on having a torch that lasts all of 30 seconds before needing recharge, imagine going to the shop and buying a new torch,only to discover it will only last 30 seconds before being flat again, flashlights have a place in games for tension, but this battery business is one of the most pointless and annoying parts in horror games, if you want people to use them, at least give them a length of time that is reasonable, does anyone agree, is there any thought from Tripwire about this being changed or why the torches are so rubbish in the first place?? Thanks, curious on peoples thoughts! :)

...didn't they buff the flashlights? Coulda sworn they only lasted about 20 seconds (and 15sec for nightvision) but they definitely last a LOT longer after they updated it (however long ago it was they did it). I swear that flashlights in KF2 last so long you can keep em on forever. I still stick with my habit of turning my flashlight off whenever I'm reloading or see no zeds (like I would when the flashlights lasted like 3 sec).

If you're talking about other games then idk maybe it's to make it stupid-difficult (Half Life 2 flashlight+sprint = like 1 second of flashlight haha). I remember flashlights in kf1 didn't exactly have the longest batteries either.

Upvote 0
Hey mate thanks for reply. Oh maybe, maybe I had light on for longer than I thought, but it still begs the question... why is there EVER a recharge needed? I mean I've had torches they have likely had many hours of use and still work just fine, I think if games want their lights to be used, utilised for horror effect etc, just let them last for the whole game I think... I would be surprised if anyone honestly thought hey, I love the micro of your flashlight where you have to turn it off sometimes for a while and turn it back on. Personally I'd just say no batteries in game torches ever lol, unless there is a good reason why NOT to do this I'm missing?

Upvote 0
The early access flashlights started out with almost no battery life (20-30 seconds max, I think) and they were weapon-dependent. Meaning you could only use a flashlight if your weapon model had one attached (few guns had them at the time). Then players were given constant access to flashlights (attached to the player model body). Now, flashlights give decent light and last something like two minutes (not sure, but it's a whole lot longer than before). They also recharge incredibly fast compared to how long it takes for the battery to drain.

I'd say they're at a pretty good place.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what they're doing with the lights but they have been bugged for ages, i did mention that you can't see another players light until you turn your own off.

Plus when you do turn your light off to see someone elses, it doesn't even light up what they're pointing at, it lights up the floor.

Upvote 0
Hrmm still, I know games aren't supposed to be 100% realistic but seriously, what benefit is there for them to drain so ridiculously quickly? Like what does it add to gameplay? Just means you can't see properly every couple of minutes lol. Even two minutes seems silly to me personally. And yeah similar issues with not seeing other players lights, that'd be a great plus. But interesting to read that others like the way lights are currently.

Upvote 0
It isn't a quick drain. It is (or seems to be) balanced to be not quite enough battery to last one round. I like it, because if you're in a tough round you'll need to decide when to start using that light: Do you wait for the fleshpounds and hordes to show up, or do you turn it on early to catch the random crawlers and stalkers? Do you cut it off for ten seconds in the middle of the round to make it to the end, or do you keep it on til it dies? Of course the battery life isn't realistic. It's balanced according to gameplay (at least it seems to be), and there's nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0
callumg1988;n2294361 said:
Hrmm still, I know games aren't supposed to be 100% realistic but seriously, what benefit is there for them to drain so ridiculously quickly? Like what does it add to gameplay? Just means you can't see properly every couple of minutes lol. Even two minutes seems silly to me personally. And yeah similar issues with not seeing other players lights, that'd be a great plus. But interesting to read that others like the way lights are currently.

Most of the time you don't need light anyways, even with destructable lighting the game is pretty bright due to fire and stuff. I play most of the game with my flashlight off, and only turn it on when I need it. The charge literally never runs to zero this way. I wish the nightvision was infinite though, I like to leave it on just because it looks cool.

Upvote 0
I guess its just preference pavlov from the look of some comments, i guess i just find the appeal of worrying about micro with flashlight, i think you are right though it lasts alot longer than before. Imnrk you are probably right too with not needing light, i often turn it on and off for spotting stalkers a little easier myself. Not a huge deal but just find it an interesting choice in games. Must say I've never used night vision, should give it a go sometime!

Upvote 0
I fully agree with the OP. Flashlights should last for at least as long as a smartphone charge! Say 10 minutes?

Seriously though, I actively manage my flashlight: turn it off when no threatening enemies to recharge then light up immediately because I find that it helps me target ZED heads a bit better even on bright maps.

Upvote 0
callumg1988;n2294201 said:
Hey all, I saw this critique on Jim Sterlings Jimquisition a while ago and using flashlight again in KF I'm inclined to agree. Why do games still insist on having a torch that lasts all of 30 seconds before needing recharge, imagine going to the shop and buying a new torch,only to discover it will only last 30 seconds before being flat again, flashlights have a place in games for tension, but this battery business is one of the most pointless and annoying parts in horror games, if you want people to use them, at least give them a length of time that is reasonable, does anyone agree, is there any thought from Tripwire about this being changed or why the torches are so rubbish in the first place?? Thanks, curious on peoples thoughts! :)

First, I'm inclined to disagree. It's unrealistic, but I enjoy the extra resource management in horror games.

Second, but I think such management has no business in KF honestly.

Third, I agree with pretty much everyone else. Running out of flashlight battery hasn't been a problem since they've buffed it ages ago. In fact, it is MORE than reasonable at this point. They shouldn't even have a battery meter. I'm not quite sure what you're experiencing unless you haven't played the game in a while.

Upvote 0
Hey Denks, yeah I'm a bit similar, I only use it occasionally. I guess I was thinking it'd be more useful if they used more light lacking maps.

Silver yeah fair enough mate, seems like it doesn't bother that many people. Yeah i have used flashlight since, I think it might be turning itself off without me noticing and then forgetting it's off lol. Fair enough about the resource management, this has just shown I suppose different thoughts which is why I posted in the first place, thanks for thoughts people!

Upvote 0
I preferred the way lights worked originally, very bright and didn't last as long. I think they should up the brightness a little bit and make the battery weaker.

But yeah i kind of wish that the game made better use of lighting. I actually liked watching other players light up areas with the way they worked originally, it looked pretty cool when they were bright IMO.

I want a reason for glow sticks or something too.. but oh well.

Upvote 0
The flashlight drain was intentionally created as a resource management mechanic.

Light sources are an important part of any of the darker maps developed by Tripwire. For example, Catacombs is filled with lights all over the map that will be destroyed over time by either players or Zeds that damage them. When the lights go out, players are giving incentive to move to a new position with working lights to discourage squads from camping the same spot every wave. The flashlight has a timed battery so that you can't just sit in the same dark spot all game with 24/7 light from your flashlight.

As for the mechanic itself, it's hardly worth complaining about. The flashlight lasts very long now, and charges very fast. You just have to be good enough to turn if off when you don't need it, then back on when you do. Most players leave it on and let it drain without giving it a chance to recharge during slower spawn-times during a wave.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanspotatobusiness
Upvote 0
callumg1988;n2294201 said:

Darkness causes uncertainty as it hinders vision, which is a common sense and source of fear that may replicate easily/stably in the virtual world of videogames. In other words, wandering around with your eyes blindfolded surely isn't a pleasant experience. Add the right atmosphere, spooky! Add the top-notch jump-scare, there gone my constipation!

With this being said, exclude the smelly part of course; as far as horror game goes, such game usually incorporates darkness as a fundamental aspect of the gameplay experience for building tension/uncertainty/apprehension. Thus, in this sense, you will not want to strip this aspect right away by granting players the power to neglect the darkness well enough, that is, by making it lasts more than 30 seconds long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah fair enough, i reckon an annoyance for me personally, even though friends i reguarly play with are great I'm often the only one on a team that makes use of the thing! And yeah nokia i understand that but still seems a bit cheesy on horror games, but i shouldn't be worrying about other horror games on kf! I loved Metro for that kind of atmosphere. I suppose if flashlights were stronger, you'd have to make the darkness more dangerous, which may even be my actual thought/issue in the first place, perhaps darkness could play a more serious role...

Upvote 0