• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Consider purchase GTX 1080tis for KF2 @ 4K with entire fortune. Can KF2 handle it?

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic

I had been tourtured (even lethally) by my parents before university time (till 2008.7, that's the EEC factory daily of Chinese students). And in university time I'm f**ked by them and received a rubbish laptop. (Dell Inspiron 1427, T6400+9300MGS). I had a awful time trying to play KF1 and swore NOT to suffer from poor GPU performance once and for all.

Now it's 2017.4. I breached their handicaps and managed to purchase my own PC without their dosh at 2014.2 and kept maintaining it. Now it's 4790K @ 4.6Ghz+32G DDR3 1600MHZ+GTX 1050 ti.
(I had purchased a inno3d GTX 780 with great fortune of CNY 3,700 due to the trauma of poor GPU. However, it's no longer with me. R.I.P 2016.1.4 2:00 AM idle)

My platform has quite some good stuff. Besides that DEAD GTX 780 there's another starring component- the Acer XB280HK monitor with Gsync and 4K resolution. (That's 3840*2160 resolution- fourth of 1080P) Note that this monitor does NOT own a high refresh rate. The refresh rate is 60Hz.
Before the death of GTX 780 I could play KF2 at 1080P highest with nvidia flex off, or at 3840*2160 lowest. Now I dare to try the former but not the latter. I tried and the framerate will drop enough to make me feel the lag.

After all, GTX 780 is a 3-year-old history even if kept alive. Now with the 1050ti I play KF2 at 1080P settings high but disables flex and bloom (it'll blur my SCAR sights). I am thinking of throw another fortune to make it on 4K once and for all. And I saw GTX 1080 ti on the shelf, for a price of CNY 4,900.
Now I have enough live money on hand to lay hand on one, and if necessary, require cash for two. My motherboard is Gigabyte Z97x-game plus and it allows a dual SLI. (My platform has left enough PSU wattage and motherboard compatibility for a combo of 2 VGA cards plus 1 PCIE SSD)

Now the question is:

#1 What is the requirement of KF2? (I assume it stupid to ask cause 1050ti runs it at high 1080P) What kind of video quality can I reach in KF2 3840*2160 with 1 GTX 1080 ti?
#2 How much framerate benefit does KF2 acquire from NVIDIA SLI? 100%?(That's the idealized maximum) 50%? or not at all?
#3 I read that KF2 is quad-cored. Does a pair of 1080 tis require so much monocore performance that a 7700K is a must?

Last edited:
Better go with a single card than with sli in general as there's not many titles that support sli.
And with sli best case scenario would be 50% more frames, but it's usually hovers at 35-45% increase.
quad core should be enough, unless you want to stream...... Then eight core would be better.
i guess you can get away with 1 gtx on high or ultra with 60 fps stable, as long as you dont enable flex.
Also kf2 atm has serious issues with the sli with textures flickering or going full black, devs are aware and are working on it.

on the side note: why everyone is so obsesed with 4k, i'd rather go with 1440p 144hz for max perfomance.
​​

Last edited:
Reactions: JagdpantherX
Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2291697 said:
Better go with a single card than with sli in general as there's not many titles that support sli.
And with sli best case scenario would be 50% more frames, but it's usually hovers at 35-45% increase.
quad core should be enough, unless you want to stream...... Then eight core would be better.
i guess you can get away with 1 gtx on high or ultra with 60 fps stable, as long as you dont enable flex.
Also kf2 atm has serious issues with the sli with textures flickering or going full black, devs are aware and are working on it.

on the side note: why everyone is so obsesed with 4k, i'd rather go with 1440p 144hz for max perfomance.
​​

I don't stream. I record via shadowplay.

I calculated again and found something interesting. If I have 5,000 CNY I'd better purchase a pair of GTX 1070s. Although some game will suck with 1 gpu active, some don't. Also, 2x LV7 card worths more to sell when all cards nowadays are obsolete. If I picked 2x GTX 770 (about CNY 5,000 in 2014.2) instead of 1x GTX 780 then I can sell it nowadays for CNY 1,000+ instead of CNY 750 or less.

Hmm. GTX 780 is dead. The card dealer offered to exchange with a GTX 950, for which I used for nearly a year and then sold for CNY 730 (that's a great high-soldoff, before the appearance of GTX 10 series). Later I purchased this second-handed GTX 1050 ti for CNY 800 (great bargain). In some extent the GTX 1050 ti is the successor of the dead. I don't know about if 780 or 1050ti is better, but according to my test in Far cry 4 they perform similar. Both is capable of running FC4 at 1080P high with 60 FPS. (950 is capable only at middle, 750ti only at low) Visually the GTX 1050 ti is a ticked version of GTX 780 with equal performance, but A LOT lower power consumption and smaller size.

Probably I shouldn't invest so much in GPU, especially the ones above LV7. Their values fell too quickly!

Upvote 0
multi-GPU support is always a variance, scaling varies per title.
it's a more... solid investment perse, for more power in a single unit. you can be more sure of the end performance.

a single 1080Ti for Killing Floor 2 should suffice, as the game isn't AAA bloated. i would not be surprised to see some framerate drops here and there from 60(+) however. 2160p isn't quite practical yet, despite what the advertising divisions of Publishers would like to lead you to believe.

Upvote 0
if you want 4k performance **Today** your best bet would be a 1080ti, 2 GTX 1070s(which has all the drawbacks of SLI), or perhaps wait to see what AMDs new 500series of rebranded RX480s has in store its possible one might go up against the 1070 but if you want flex then AMD is out. although not having flex would save FPS anyways so, theres that haha.

id suggest no less than a GTX 1070 for what you are asking

alternatively you could consider a different monitor like 1440p. i heard its great with resolution scaling.

Upvote 0
I had the choice to go 4K recently and ended up getting a Dell 24" 2560 x 1440 165hz screen instead, the higher hz is way smoother over 60. My 980Ti does struggle a bit in custom servers, at least i assume that's what is causing the dips.

I got a 1080Ti FE recently and haven't gotten around to testing it, but i will put the Eiswolf GPU cooler on it when i do with a 240mm radiator, probably over the next couple of days.. so it should be cool as a cucumber.

Personally i would stay away from multi GPU because of - Extra heat, micro stuttering, not compatible with all games, not 100% scaling. And if you're playing online games i would stay away from 4K because it could make the frame rate tank IMO, high end GPU's are only just starting to handle 4K with games maxed out in single player, never mind multiplayer, and even then you can still get dips into the low 30's or so.

Yes you can get decent frame rates at 4K in some lesser demanding titles at 4K but IMO if online is your thing i really wouldn't bother, unless the lower fps doesn't bother you. And i shouldn't have to bring up consoles but look at the PS4 Pro, the online modes in games are all 1080p i believe, and even then some are locked at 30fps, probably because it would melt anything higher LOL. But on the serious side, online play can be demanding when a lot of action is going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: s5yn3t
Upvote 0
IMO dual 1080 tis would be overkill for kf2. I play it on two machines. One is a laptop with an i7 6700HQ with a 1060 and the other is a desktop with an i7 7700 and a 970. I can play with ultra with gibs and fluids on both with solid frames at 60 unless I play with online with upwards of 10 players and maxzeds increased and custom maps and try to stream. :D but the highest res I do is 2560 x 1440 on the desktop. When I stream though the added stress to takes its toll, I have been playing and streaming off the desktop but turn off fluids and make the stream 1280 x 720. I do not see a reason to use dual 1080 tis. SLi isn't fully supported in many games and KF2 is one of them that has known issues with it.

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2292087 said:
When I stream though the added stress to takes its toll, I have been playing and streaming off the desktop but turn off fluids and make the stream 1280 x 720.

i can't imagine that is an issue to the fault of the GPU though, NvEnc has... well it's hard to measure an overhead for that since it's so small, and CPU Encoding is certainly not the fault of the GPU if there's performance reductions. :p

Upvote 0
Your Haswell generation Intel CPU should be enough. Kaby Lake 7700k isn't worth the price especially when you are capped at 60hz. Single 1080Ti can do 4k 60FPS for KF2 at max detail settings, FLEX is always bugged right now so don't bother turning that on.
A 1080 non-Ti isn't all that much slower than the Ti, but priced much much lower though check with your prefered stores first.
Save the rest of the cash for future upgrades mate.

Upvote 0
We have a treat (I think) coming sometime next week. We've managed to get a review sample of the Asus ROG GTX 1080Ti STRIX Edition GPU. I'll be posting a KF2 FleX performance video at the best settings @ 1440p, including fluids. I posted a couple of videos a while back on the GTX 1080 and how it performed with full FleX. This time i'll be using my friend's kick ass rig, rather than my own, ageing lump of metal, so there shouldn't be any bottlenecking. I'll post the link here once it's done. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Upvote 0
dug out

Now I've changed my equipment totally. And I purchased RTX 2080. (No ti- 80ti is off shelf due to too great demand)

Now it's Ryzen R7 1700 at 3.85 Ghz, 8GB DDR4 RAM and RTX 2080.

I could game KF2 on 4K medium- that's for avoiding framerate drops at the worst conditions such as witnessing RPG explodes. If I run higher quality then there would be no problem at idle but suffer from framerate drops at thus hour.

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2326786 said:
Cool.

Imma just continue chilling here with i5 2320 and gtx 650 XD

Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed your CPU and I have a theory. I have a similar i5 4690k. 4 cores, 4 threads, no hyperthreading. I have pretty good performance and reliability running Unreal games. I bet you do too. Meanwhile, I read about performance problems on other Intel-powered machines. I wonder how much of that is due to hyperthreading fibbing to Unreal about the number of cores...hmm...

Upvote 0