• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Every single update... [rant]

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
This is the only PC game in the history of my life that has insisted on resetting my keys in each and every single update... even in the insignificant updates (such as whatever we just got?).

I gave this a pass during EA as the game was still evolving in many ways but why is this still happening? Yes, it can be argued that this is a minor inconvenience but why is it an inconvenience at all?

/join HOE with friends last night
/barely join in time to beat the trader closing
/go to move

*nothing happens*

/ragequit back to menu to remap 90% of the keys in the game

Is this really necessary? I assume there is a logical reason why this happens with every update but I really fail to believe there isn't a way around this...

s5yn3t;n2289434 said:
Want to make your life easier? rename KFInput.ini into defaultinput.ini, so each update would not reset inputs and sensitivity.
And if it will feel like it did reset, just delete the new kfinput and the game should then instead use defaultinput.

This fix stopped working for more shortly before the game released from EA.

Not sure why. I'll go back and give it another try next update.

Still very annoying.

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2289480 said:
Just backup a copy of the ini with the keymappings maybe?

Click - as you will read above I already noted being aware of previous work arounds but that does not address this:

infntnub;n2289428 said:
Yes, it can be argued that this is a minor inconvenience but why is it an inconvenience at all?

Why is a work around even necessary?

Upvote 0
What's happening is the "KF" prefix configs in your user directory are based on the default inis from the game directory. If we make a change to those default configs, say DefaultInput.ini, UE3 wants to regenerate KFInput.ini. If no change was made to DefaultInput.ini than you should be safe. We do have a system in place that we call ini patching which attempts to isolate specific fixes rather than regenerate the entire file, but it doesn't work for every type of change. You can backup your config as suggested as a workaround, but if you do that you risk missing out on potentially important changes we've made. Anyway, not saying it's perfect but hopefully that clears up some confusion.

Edit: If the time change thing is accurate that's interesting...

Upvote 0
[TW said:
Strago;n2289600]What's happening is the "KF" prefix configs in your user directory are based on the default inis from the game directory. If we make a change to those default configs, say DefaultInput.ini, UE3 wants to regenerate KFInput.ini. If no change was made to DefaultInput.ini than you should be safe. We do have a system in place that we call ini patching which attempts to isolate specific fixes rather than regenerate the entire file, but it doesn't work for every type of change. You can backup your config as suggested as a workaround, but if you do that you risk missing out on potentially important changes we've made. Anyway, not saying it's prefect but hopefully that clears up some confusion.

If there's some important change made in config files (say input) that should be registered in the changelog for people to know that they will have to use fresh ini file this time.

Upvote 0