• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nvidia Flex/FPS drops still happening to anyone?

Well Flex is just an evolved and for the most more stable version of PhysX with new features. I think what might be causing it after re-watching the old dev blogs is the blood textures are already on the map and then are relieved from alpha map blending I think they said. Flex is just particle/physics and I think might be trying to add to the blood splatter maps and for some reason now is not working properly. It would be cool to see them do more with Flex since it's PhysX on crack essentially. The new update from last month added a few new features and optimization for the overall system. If one of the devs could chime in that would be awesome cause even with Flex and Gibs like mentioned people with high end graphics cards getting massive lag at 1080p is not good.

Upvote 0
Exactly. When they first introduced it I was using a 2GB 660GTX Super Clocked and had no issue as long as I didn't crank over 1080p. Uninstall cause needed space and got a Titan X 12GB GDDR5 since and same system and at 1080p not using DRS or anything I am getting lag spikes on official maps and custom maps some are almost unplayable in solo mode. I don't even want to think what online would be like. A patch or something had to have messed up the Flex PipeLine cause there should be no reason that 970s/980s/Titan X/10xx cards should lag with Flex at all since it is just the next generation of Physx. I hope they fix it cause it adds to the game even though it's just eye candy but they could also use it for destruction and such and especially now that the game has been "Officially Released" while it has more maps, chars, perks gameplay and stability remind me of the early days of the Early Access which is kind of upsetting.

Upvote 0
DIENER;n2290051 said:
Back in the day when FleX was running with almost no frame drops was it using CPU or GPU? Because when it was removed and re-added it has always been forced to use the CPU.

Which for the PS4 version I can understand since it uses an AMD APU though I don't see why in the PC version it still says "You need a 970 or Higher to run this" which would indicate that it's suppose to run on the GPU and not CPU.

Upvote 0
Kinda funny that this is new software/tech whatever from nvidia that other games had planned on using but for now the only game that uses it is kf2... and by the looks of it nvidia abandoned flex as i hear nothing about it and seeing how perfomance drops more and more each update...
Unless there's an official statement that nvidia is working on improving the flex to work more efficiently, i will for now just tag it as a dead project that might as well force disabled again.

Edit: Ok i was probably wrong, they released an update this month.......... Actually now i have a question about logic. What was the point of being a first game using nvidia flex which is mostly optimized (hell if not exclusively) for UE4, when the game itself is mostly based on UE3 engine that was heavily modified. I remember from early trailers or was it an article where it said that devs wanted to play safe and use UE3 engine for the game to deal with less bugs (ikr?) and yet use a tech that is designed for a newer gen engine which i guess has issues with the engine that the game uses.

I'm no programmer but this is my current understanding, if there's someone who knows better please, enlighten me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2290750 said:
Kinda funny that this is new software/tech whatever from nvidia that other games had planned on using but for now the only game that uses it is kf2... and by the looks of it nvidia abandoned flex as i hear nothing about it and seeing how perfomance drops more and more each update...
Unless there's an official statement that nvidia is working on improving the flex to work more efficiently, i will for now just tag it as a dead project that might as well force disabled again.

Edit: Ok i was probably wrong, they released an update this month.......... Actually now i have a question about logic. What was the point of being a first game using nvidia flex which is mostly optimized (hell if not exclusively) for UE4, when the game itself is mostly based on UE3 engine that was heavily modified. I remember from early trailers or was it an article where it said that devs wanted to play safe and use UE3 engine for the game to deal with less bugs (ikr?) and yet use a tech that is designed for a newer gen engine which i guess has issues with the engine that the game uses.

I'm no programmer but this is my current understanding, if there's someone who knows better please, enlighten me.

While Flex is more aimed for UE4 it is compatible with technically any engine via source and is being slow and painfully integrated in to the NVidia GameWorks set of tools which can "work" on any engine that has access to source code and people who use NVidia cards *Witcher 3 is a good example of HairWorks properly coded* however Flex is source code based so if a team knows how and have the source code to the engine (not just modded it or something) if they know how and want can put Flex in to it. In UE4 it's just a bit easier since they made it so if wanted you can use it instead of the older PhysX setup. Long story short though if coded right and the engine is able to handle physics well (Bullet/Havok/PhysX) it should as long as the player has the right GPU be able to run Flex with little to no issue.

Upvote 0
Oh man, why didn't I find this thread earlier. Just wanted to say that I get awful FPS drops when Flex is enabled. Gibs is a bearable future, they look awesome so I've decided to keep it enabled but the fluids - that stuff freezes everything for a short amount of time. A little puddle of bloat bile or blood is enough to cause trouble.

I really hope Nvidia (and Tripwire?) don't give up on this. Flex looks awesome in KF2... Specs if needed below:

OS: Windows 7 CPU: i5 3570k 3.8 GHz (quad) RAM: 16GB GPU: GTX 980ti DirectX: version 11

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See DotS that's crazy to me, as I have a GTX1070, but I get way worse drops then you, like 20, -10 frames per second a lot of the time lol, like I"m playing with 300 ping, my main suspicion is the monitor being so high in res and demanding. After all the attention this thread has, would have been nice to think some words from a dev or TW staff might have confirmed any of this... unless it's somewhere else on the forum.

Upvote 0