• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's talk Versus!

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
With the game officially out, we want to continue to make the game better! We are looking to get your feedback on Versus Survival. We will be collecting feedback in the coming weeks, so if you are interested in giving your feedback, all you have to do is fill out this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BG8F2Q9

Make sure that you take the time this weekend to try out the new changes to Versus. We will begin reaching out to you all (who filled out the survey) next week to hear your thoughts!

Thank you all and happy gibs! <3

s5yn3t;n2278367 said:
Let's never talk about this mode ok? as if never existed.
But sure, i'll try to gather a squad and see how it plays out now.

We don't need people like you here. The gamemode is fun but unbalanced. Many have wanted this (me included) and want to improve it and have more players.
Even tho you don't like it, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist. Aand its already in the game so...

Reactions: sckiredzu
Upvote 0
Vi-Pe;n2278389 said:
We don't need people like you here. The gamemode is fun but unbalanced. Many have wanted this (me included) and want to improve it and have more players.
Even tho you don't like it, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist. Aand its already in the game so...

i was saying it jokingly, i had no idea you would get this butthurt :D

Upvote 0
Haven't played since the changes. My impression of versus was that humans have the advantage because of guns, but zeds can take advantage of stupid people/noobs and ambush them or split them up.

In order for the zeds to win, at least some of the players need to be bad or mess up. Until the boss shows up, then not even the best team of humans can do anything as the patty 1 by 1 ***** slaps each human to death in 1 or 2 hits.

It goes from "wow these human zeds aren't very scary" to "well just **** my **** up."

Upvote 0
Oy The Destroyer;n2278581 said:
Haven't played since the changes. My impression of versus was that humans have the advantage because of guns, but zeds can take advantage of stupid people/noobs and ambush them or split them up.

In order for the zeds to win, at least some of the players need to be bad or mess up. Until the boss shows up, then not even the best team of humans can do anything as the patty 1 by 1 ***** slaps each human to death in 1 or 2 hits.

It goes from "wow these human zeds aren't very scary" to "well just **** my **** up."

The latest patch nerfed the Patty and buffed up the Zeds.

Upvote 0
The current state of VS just isn't fun, being restricted to 4 wave normal difficulty is absurd.
Many of the players you have still playing this game at this point are HoE veterans, and to them anything below HoE is a joke and not worth the time.

Even when they do decide to venture into VS they completely wipe the floor with both the normal and player zeds, the only time they're in any danger at all is during the boss fight, and playing through 4 boring waves to get to one challenging wave isn't something anyone is keen on.

I understand that it would take more work to balance each difficulty, but frankly playing as zeds is just a grind to get to the boss wave, and even then only one player gets to have any fun as the boss, the rest of the zeds are still cannon fodder.

Please TWI, if you really want VS to succeed, allow us to choose the difficulty and length we want to play on. It's the only way i can imagine you drawing players back to VS at this point.

I should add these aren't only my opinions, many players on the AUS HoE scene feel the same way.

Upvote 0
Playing as the Zeds is cool, and the unique models are nice. However I feel like the mode wasn't that well thought out design wise. I mean just for starters survivor levels are still active even though Zeds are stuck at normal difficulty. Level 25's against normal Zeds is a joke. Either your going to have to add other modes or the game needs to add up the total survivor team levels, and choose a Zed difficulty, and size of waves based on it.

Beyond that there is the basic idea of the mode itself. Which is 6 player Zeds just randomly spawning, and trying to do whatever damage they can. There is almost no room for teamwork here. Only the Sirens immobilizing scream thing. Which is about the only time I see survivors die before the boss wave is someone Siren grabbed them while other player Zeds killing them.

I suppose we could look to Left 4 Dead Versus here. That game is about around ambushing survivors, and using immobilizing abilities or abilities designed to split them up. It works well since survivors need to move from point A to B to win, and Zeds can choose when, and where they want to spawn. KF2 Versus doesn't have that. Survivors just hold out in the good spots that have chokes, and enough room to do a little kiting as needed. Zeds have no way to force them out of it. Basically we are going to need more player Zed abilities like the Sirens immobilizing scream. Like a Zed that can grab someone an carry them off. Or Husk that can shoot a firebomb that leaves a really damaging AOE that pretty much forces survivors to move from their camping spots. If you wont do this then you may have to really increase the number of cpu fodders Zeds to occupy survivors so player Zeds can do more damage. But that sounds like the opposite of what Tripwire wants with this mode as they said they wanted player Zeds to be the star.

Reactions: sckiredzu
Upvote 0
I would say that the zeds should do a lot more damage. But to compensate this buff, they should be much slower and less tanky. Its frustating as survivor to shoot 2-3 with the double barrel on a gorefast to take him down. But you also miss a lot of bullets, because of the zig zagging and fast movement speed.

Upvote 0
One idea would be to have simple objectives for the survivors, so that they have to head over to specific map locations. This would allow the zeds to set-up ambushes and mean that the humans can't just camp in one spot. Also, for the zeds, it needs to easier to see where you're team mates are, and when and where they're going to spawn. A comms wheel for the zeds might be useful too, with things like "follow me", "wait", "attack now", etc.

Upvote 0
i like the ideas in previous posts, i've played some... dunno 5-6 hours of these, and my experiences have been way varied, the level on players on both sides have been very different, regardless of that i feel like we should have:

-different level of mob zeds, and also maybe and arbitrary or server side level cap for humans, if you are higher you are temporaly lowered.
-some more depth for zeds, maybe a simpler version of perks/skills, maybe even a type of trader.
-more options to coordinate with other zed players is a must.

Upvote 0
Wow, this is weird coming back after all this time to to talk about a subject that i hate but if you want to make it work here is what needs to happen.

For starters, KFO mode needs to be a thing and KFO needs to be the backdrop of a vs game. From what i have seen it is far to easy to just sit in one place that is hard for the zeds to get to or infinitely kite around the map with no real rhyme or reason for the survivors to move from a safe spot. Lets face it, i kited with a level 15 medic on vs many times before and didn't even break a sweat. There needs to be an objective, a thing to defend or an object for the survivors to get the zeds off of in order to make this mode even have any chance of working. After years of playing L4D 1 and 2 vs most of the times where survivors are taken down is either transitioning between areas or trying to complete an objective.

On top of that if an objective just required camping you saw a massive drop in survivor injury even from a middling team. Without a specialized zombie like a spitter survivors could closet camp with little to no effort. Another example and reason something like Dead by Daylight works is because survivors need to also move around and can't just hide in one spot all game long. If you could just hide or kite with no objective to worry about then you might as well not bother playing if you are the killer. This is also partly the opposite problem that Evolve suffered back in the day before their reboot, some monsters moved so fast and needed so little time to sit in one spot that more often than not they would not even need to worry about being attacked by hunters.

Second, something needs to be done to normalize the levels. You need to either have a set max or min level that you can play it while doing survival vs mode. More often than not it seems that you will get really low level players (0-10) who get mopped and can't do anything besides die where higher level (20-25) can pretty much solo most zeds they come across. It seems like the 15-20 range is what should be aimed for to discount some of the more OP bonuses you get from zed time going off (like nuke or the zerker super speed hour).

Third, less zed armor, faster respawn, more zeds. Even taking kiting into account it seems that some zeds really are to dam tough, especially when you take into account that a player zed can zig zag and come from different directions that a ai zed can't. On top of that it seems like the ai hordes don't currently help much and apart from bullet sponge bloats and gorefasts a player will have a lot of ammo left over. There needs to be a merging somewhat where you have less toughness on the player zeds, a faster spawn time to compensate for that and more zeds overall to make teams pick different perk layouts as well as give zeds a better meat shield to use instead of just face tanking shot after shot.

That is my 2 cents on the issue but also i would suggest that if you can't commit that much work to it then just drop it. May seem rather cynical and a ****ty thing to say but if it's going to become somewhat of a timesink that doesn't seem like it's going to work out in the long run then stop putting work into it and focus on the game's stronger pve modes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0