• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - A Less Civilized Arsenal

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    For those of you who have not yet read our announcement on Paid Weapon DLC, please take a moment to do so now. This is a serious topic for all of us, and we want to make sure everyone has all the facts before joining the conversation.

Hello everyone!

The shared content list is about to grow by two new weapons, the Rhinos and the Ion Thruster. When one merc on a mission owns a weapon on the shared content list, it is made available to other mercenaries in the field with you while you continue to work together to combat the Zeds! If no mercenaries own this content, it will not show up in the on-site procurement pod for purchase.

First up is the Rhino's, bringing their new fragmentation rounds to play for Gunslingers. Zeds downrange will not know what hit them once these frag rounds are expelled out the other side of the recently impacted Zed into the horde behind. Be sure to carry two of these Tier 3 weapons for more fragmentation fun, as these rounds will ricochet around the environment as well!
    rhino.jpg

Joining the Rhino's is the Tier 5 Ion Thruster, a less civilized weapon for the brutal mob you may find in front of you. Have you ever wondered what happens if you superheat a retractable blade? So did the Lab Coats. They found a way to store kinetic energy taken from impacts as heat energy in the blade itself which can then be unleashed back at those, and I quote the Lab Coats here "evil watermelons they won't stop throwing at us". Cuts through "em like butter and lights what it doesn"t cut on fire (Do a reload check to execute a special attack at full power)!
    ionthruster.jpg

And don't worry, that isn't all the Lab Coats have been up to! A new division, calling themselves the "Horzine Research Group", HRG for short, has some new experimental weapons coming your way as well. We will have more on these next week, so stay tuned!

Regardless of my previous comment regarding the cost of said weapons... I have to admit I'm stupidly hyped for them!

The Rhino is definitely a welcomed addition to the GS arsenal...which is definitely lacking, mostly in versatility (a damn shame for one of the coolest perk in the game!). I hope it does add some sprinkles of creativity, which seems to be the case. I hope it won't be overpowered with those rounds though!

A bit more skeptical about the Ion Thruster. Mostly because I think the zerk definitely has more than enough weapons already. Plus how would a retractable blade do as much (if not more) damage than a battleaxe the size of a car? But I guess we'll have to see how it behave in-game... Still waiting for the weapon that will make me drop my pulverizer.

Upvote 0
    Man, I'm so excited for this pack. But not for the weapons already announced. The Berserker already has a large variety of different weapons, and the gunslinger can already have crazy combinations of different pistols. What I am looking forward to is a weapon added for the Sharpshooter that will be as creative as these two! Can't wait. I always bought every dlc pack in the first Killing Floor because of just how cool the weapons were.

Upvote 0
    Yoshiro;n2333831 said:
    Zeds downrange will not know what hit them once these frag rounds are expelled out the other side of the recently impacted Zed into the horde behind. Be sure to carry two of these Tier 3 weapons for more fragmentation fun, as these rounds will ricochet around the environment as well!

I'd rather take the Rhino(s) to Tier 5 weapons. Firstly, it looks cool. Secondly, there is an optical sight that doesn't have .500 Magnum. Thirdly, it uses fragmentation rounds that can ricochet. So that's obviously.

Upvote 0
    Chris/Crash3525;n2334047 said:
    I'd rather take the Rhino(s) to Tier 5 weapons. Firstly, it looks cool. Secondly, there is an optical sight that doesn't have .500 Magnum. Thirdly, it uses fragmentation rounds that can ricochet. So that's obviously.

Then again, Tier 5 weapons are not mandatory. They are a welcomed addition, but they can surely take their time with it.

I'd rather have more choices for T1 tbh.

(Also also : some T3/T4 weapons are already ludicrously powerful and fun... You don't need to save the crazy ideas for the T5s ! )

Upvote 0
    I'm wondering if the Rhino is really going to be that effective for us gunslingers, since it has those frag rounds that probably don't headshot too well. The way I see it, the gunslinger perk is all about headshots, so things like the firebug pistols (can't remember their name atm) that are more area-of-effect weapons don't do so well in the gunslinger arsenal.

Upvote 0
    GigaBowserX;n2334145 said:
    I'm wondering if the Rhino is really going to be that effective for us gunslingers, since it has those frag rounds that probably don't headshot too well. The way I see it, the gunslinger perk is all about headshots, so things like the firebug pistols (can't remember their name atm) that are more area-of-effect weapons don't do so well in the gunslinger arsenal.

They could make one pellet always fly dead center.

Upvote 0
    GigaBowserX;n2334145 said:

I could very well be wrong but my assumption is that it doesn't fire a spray of frags straight out of the pistol, it fires a single explosive bullet that, when it hits something and explodes, erupts into a shower of fragments behind the point of impact and (ideally) towards the enemy.

They're already giving us a shotgun pistol, giving us a second shotgun pistol for Gunslinger instead of just making Support's shotgun pistol cross perk with Gunslinger makes no sense.

Upvote 0
    Ramare;n2334151 said:
    I could very well be wrong but my assumption is that it doesn't fire a spray of frags straight out of the pistol, it fires a single explosive bullet that, when it hits something and explodes, erupts into a shower of fragments behind the point of impact and (ideally) towards the enemy.

They're already giving us a shotgun pistol, giving us a second shotgun pistol for Gunslinger instead of just making Support's shotgun pistol cross perk with Gunslinger makes no sense.

Okay, that would make more sense. Hopefully that's the mechanic they choose for this pistol.

And yes, they should really look at giving new weapons to some of the other perks, rather than making both the buckshot pistols AND the rhinos (I'm assuming the buckshot pistols will be cross-perk with gunslinger, and that the rhinos will be cross-perk with either support or demo, but I could be wrong).

Upvote 0
    s5yn3t;n2334170 said:
    because recycling assets is cheaper

Yes, they are making a reskinned gun that behaves like a mediocre gun in real life and that looks uglier that the Taurus judge for free because is cheaper. But why don't they make something else for the HRG thing and start selling compact MTs 255?

​​​​​I mean, the role that the buckshot revolver will have could be more in line with the 12 gauge revolver

Upvote 0