• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Something Fresh From The Labs

As someone with an unhealthy obsession for the firebug, you bet I'm gonna use that Helios Rifle until it breaks! The MAC-10 also happens to be one of my all-time favourite...So I'm damn glad we're getting another ranged option (that isn't a commando crossperk nonetheless)

A bit more sceptical about the Killerwatt... Mostly because I expected (and hoped?) that it would have been a SS weapon (sort of a crossover between the M14 and the Railgun). But I guess we'll see how it plays out. Plus, it its followed by a nice and juicy rework of the perk... It might be surprisingly awesome!

However, I'm not too fond of the design of any of them... The Helios is a bit too similar to the MWG in my opinion (but it may be done on purpose?), while the Killerwatt looks almost like a lava lamp turned into a gun

Last edited:
Upvote 0
jd641;n2329099 said:
Cool! But I hope the Husk Cannon is also getting a serious re-work. Otherwise it should just simply be removed imho.

Currently the Husk Cannon is not working as intended due to a bug that causes it not to do the damage that was intended. This should be fixed in the next update.

Upvote 0
Now going full sci-fi with this update? perfectly okay since fictional weapons can be allowed to do things not possible with real life weapons and can make for interesting gameplay options.

the Helios rifle looks the most interesting, for me, firebug's i find weapons generally boring (and with the husk cannon nerfed into uselessness but i hope the next damage fix will make it better) but from the sound of things, it would work like the Plasma guns from DOOM 2016 and Halo, i think i might have a new main tool for the firebug. and also the description makes it sound the zeds might explode on kill with the gun like the DOOM Eternal plasma gun kills from the gameplay previews, or in this case, an inherent ZED Shrapnel quality into the gun? and i guess this would be the fouth bullpup in the game (counting the P90)

the Killerwatt, love the name but looks weird like a DNA Helix then some kind of tesla gun. i guess it will work like a flamethrower almost but with tracking electricity, and its alt fire i guess would shoot a beam or something like a PPC bolt from Mechwarrior. gonna have to wait and see how this thing works.

i wonder if we will get one more weapon squeezed into this update too

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2329258 said:
Big as in "bulky and heavy" guns or as in higher-tiered ones?

Pretty much but not exactly. Big ones are in correlation with smaller ones. What I'm trying to say goes to the design philosophy that's currently in place.

Basically, we need to have more weapons that have more pros and cons like what Boomstick used to be; it was power-wise very good (versus being more-or-less-average) making it a potent hence worthwhile option and an easily considerable pick-up - and - not absent with drawbacks (namely it's horrible mag size as well as pellet spread) that will render a player to always choose it over its competitors. IMO, it was almost too perfect, that any other weapon, if not similarly perfect in their own right, will pale in comparison.

I'm saying TWI need review the game's existing arsenal to make each option potent in the way like Boomstick was boasting its qualities under a frame of stats that offered the best cost-performance ratio. Excluding those that's designed to be a transitional option, every single weapon should be irreplaceable to a respectful extent.

On this note - this is the main reason I personally haven't been using the upgrade system a whole lot as in: I haven't been trying to make weaponry of lower tier higher tier and more viable, because said system hasn't been capable of achieving beyond its given purpose "scaling the given weapon upward somewhat for larger Zeds at the cost of excessive weight and-or excessive dosh."

Mere stats increment isn't enough, it just couldn't cut it, not until the tweaked stats could translate to any practical slash non-numerical result like a tighter or looser pellet spread will affect not just the weapon's effective range but its ability to tackle multiple targets and its precision also, or like the Railgun becoming a real large Zed menace simply by having some additional damage.

TWI need to introduce more pros and cons into their existing and future weapon designs, we as players need such introduction to really drive us outside to our preference and away from the urge of daily quests where we would submit ourselves to use other weapons consistently, I demand potent and worthwhile uniqueness in each weapon to fuel my passion with this FPS and hopefully its whole content rather than just a portion of it - after my passion dimmed but still burning after playing this game for 3 years clocking at 1635 hours, or else...

... or else, only the high-tier weaponry that easily weighs at 9 block and higher will ultimately be the only weight class that's necessary potent to carry their user through the onslaught of those chainsaw-guy and freggin' meat-pounder (nimble chainsaw gal, when?)

In retrospect, having all weapons of each tier equipped with more or less the same stats - by making them follow the same balancing approach to place them at overall the same performance level isn't helpful for the game to produce diversity into its gameplay experience as long as the gameplay is solely practiced by the tools we use - which in turn is critically determined and confined by both the loadout of choice as well as weights.

Enough of criticism, I believe an easy way that TWI can do to promote the weapon meta slash gameplay experience is simply bump up the TRADER sellback price from 75% to 85% -- so that it would be more considerable for players to purchase low-tier weaponry early on instead of saving for high-tier weaponry like 8 out of 10 times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh awesome a Plasma Gun and Lightning Gun, I've always wanted weapons like this added.

I imagine the Helios will fire quite slowly (300 to 400 RPM), but deal heavy damage per-shot with good effectiveness against armored enemies, but still possessing plenty of ammo to cut through trash mobs. The fire DoT damage will probably be somewhere between low to moderate.

As for the Killerwatt, it looks really cool. It'd be interesting if the projectiles arc between enemies and stun them like the zerk nades. The secondary fire sounds like it'll fire a massive torrent of electricity, which will fry all in its path.

Overall i'm very pleased with these new additions and can't wait to try em' out once the update comes out.Hopefully they'll be as fun to use as i imagine they'll be.

Upvote 0
NokiaSE;n2329289 said:

That's a very fair point. One I almost fully agree with. I'm all for diversity, creativity and overal differences among the various weapons. However, I would have picked another gun than the Doomstick... Mostly because it was clearly plagued with too many issues, mainly a ridiculously heavy weight and too little ammo.

A weapon shouldn't ever be too good to pass out, but the opposite is also true : a gun with flaws that outweights the pros will never be used.

But I believe its current form is in a good place...And should be used as a canva.

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2329253 said:
Currently the Husk Cannon is not working as intended due to a bug that causes it not to do the damage that was intended. This should be fixed in the next update.

Curious. I guess we'll see how it performs then next update.

I see we're back down to 2 weapons this update, after having 3 for so long. I guess it's expected, since we've gotten nearly all the Community Weapon Vote guns put in (Where'd those MK.23s go?!). Add to the fact that these are completely original designs - something I'd expect to take more time and work than simply modeling existing guns - and I think I can be satisfied with these as long as they perform as awesomely as they hint at. Sounds like Firebug might get their T5 (and a buffed up Husk Cannon to boot), whereas Survivalist will get something for themselves that will be more damage oriented. Freezethrower's great and all, but its designed for incapacitation, not killing outright. At least its ammo is super cheap as a result.

To further the case for Survivalist, hopefully their perk rework isn't far off. Giving them another exclusive weapon instills confidence in it being soon, but maybe not this update. Currently the perk does nothing for my interest. Perhaps giving them proper identity rather than being jack-of-all-trades will change my mind.

But besides that, I'm wondering about Weapon Upgrades 2.0. The Spring update will mark a whole year since the initial concept system was put in. Perhaps I've underestimated how long revising it would take. Or maybe other things just took higher priority? Hope to hear something on this soon.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Servalion;n2329310 said:
I see we're back down to 2 weapons this update, after having 3 for so long. I guess it's expected, since we've gotten nearly all the Community Weapon Vote guns put in (Where'd those MK.23s go?!).

I believe (and hope) that we're actually back to 2 guns in order to focus more on other content. Hopefully the much-requested fixes, patches and reworks.

Reactions: imnrk
Upvote 0