• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What Dar We Up To - Skipping A Beat Into A Beta

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone!

While much of our previous conversations have detailed many of new and improved content coming with the next Killing Floor 2 update:

Today we want to talk about some Quality of Life improvements heading your way! Along with the usual list of fixes (many thanks to our community members who provide detailed bug reports) across all platforms targeting many of your top issues such as crashing, memory usage/loading and more - expect a near full list with the upcoming Beta build.

Some other changes include improvements to how the trader menu shows you are low on ammo and the ability to arc grenades (such as from the m79) up into the air, for what goes up, must now come down. And something we think many of you will enjoy... A button to skip trader time! If all players in the match hit the button, the remaining trader time will skip forward to 5 seconds.

Now the question many of you have been asking is when. We are happy to announce our goal of the first Steam beta build being available next week! This is, of course, subject to change as we continue to hammer down issues both with the game and the build process. We look forward to your feedback and bug reports to those who choose to dive into the beta with us!

So...You are telling me that, till then, the M79 and M203 are STRAIGHT aim weapons rather than parabolic ones, like Killing Floor 1?
    I assumed that the muzzle velocity of those damn grenades are so fast that their trajectories are VIRTUALLY straight! (75 m/s for M79 in real world) I've never discovered that they are DESIGNED to be straight!

Upvote 0
    Utopia-Phoenix;n2315065 said:
    So...You are telling me that, till then, the M79 and M203 are STRAIGHT aim weapons rather than parabolic ones, like Killing Floor 1?
    I assumed that the muzzle velocity of those damn grenades are so fast that their trajectories are VIRTUALLY straight! (75 m/s for M79 in real world) I've never discovered that they are DESIGNED to be straight!

it drops off, its just if you shoot them straight in the air, they dont come back down for some reason.

Upvote 0
    Weirdly, they've had 0.25 gravity scale so far in kf2. So they have drop, but way less than you'd expect from their airtime. But I think their airtime is a bit more than is realistic, because they launch slower than is realistic.

The KF2 M79 is also actually effectively zeroed in to a distance, so it doesn't simply drop compared to your line of sight, but it hits a bit above your line of sight up close, hits exactly your line of sight at a particular distance, and then starts to drop below your line of sight. For large targets, you probably won't notice the drop within this point blank range, since it stays near the line of sight, but beyond that range, you can really notice the drop: a few meters, shooting zeds coming from Eiffel.
    But there is one small target that's worthwhile and makes this consistently noticeable to me: bloat heads. The impact decaps them first, preventing any goo splatter or poo mine gameplay effects, and then the explosion splatters the corpse only graphically. So headshotting them with M79 is good, but to do it, you have to aim low if you're at the distance I often shoot them from.
    m79_bloat_head.jpg

I'd guess the coming trajectory change will be full gravity, so quadruple the drop we've got now? Right now it's something to minorly adjust for sometimes, but maybe it will become consistently useful for hitting a zed behind other zeds with this change, like KF1 orca trajectory.

Extreme high angle shooting working is also nice, was fun in KF1, especially M32 carpet bombing.
    KF1_M79_Shoot_Up_3.gif

"Who needs an air strike when you can shoot like that?"

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Azukki;n2315069 said:
    Weirdly, they've had 0.25 gravity scale so far in kf2. So they have drop, but way less than you'd expect from their airtime. But I think their airtime is a bit more than is realistic, because they launch slower than is realistic.

The KF2 M79 is also actually effectively zeroed in to a distance, so it doesn't simply drop compared to your line of sight, but it hits a bit above your line of sight up close, hits exactly your line of sight at a particular distance, and then starts to drop below your line of sight. For large targets, you probably won't notice the drop within this point blank range, since it stays near the line of sight, but beyond that range, you can really notice the drop: a few meters, shooting zeds coming from Eiffel.
    But there is one small target that's worthwhile and makes this consistently noticeable to me: bloat heads. The impact decaps them first, preventing any goo splatter or poo mine gameplay effects, and then the explosion splatters the corpse only graphically. So headshotting them with M79 is good, but to do it, you have to aim low if you're at the distance I often shoot them from.
    m79_bloat_head.jpg

I'd guess the coming trajectory change will be full gravity, so quadruple the drop we've got now? Right now it's something to minorly adjust for sometimes, but maybe it will become consistently useful for hitting a zed behind other zeds with this change, like KF1 orca trajectory.

Extreme high angle shooting working is also nice, was fun in KF1, especially M32 carpet bombing.
    KF1_M79_Shoot_Up_3.gif

"Who needs an air strike when you can shoot like that?"

Lol. I know that real guns are zeroed like that. I just don't know that KF2 adopted it completely to the very details.

Also, I had tried in KF1 of those extremely high angle launches (indirect firing- like MORTARs) and found out it could cast around 200~300 meters across the map. Useless in battles though, at least not in my cognition.
    Done in a custom map known as KF-AAItalyFix.

The reason why self mortaring is impossible in nowadays KF2, I guess, is that there is a spatial limit in each game map. Launching a grenade to the upper boundary of the map will breach it and get confiscated, preventing it from dropping down to the ground.

Upvote 0
    On some maps, like Paris, they currently do come back down... eventually. I think some other maps have weird skies that may affect them, though. The smoke effect stops after a while, so it's hard to watch their flight, at least on my graphics settings.
    When they come back down, sometimes they detonate, sometimes they don't, and you can see them bounce off the ground, dead. I suspect the arming range fuse that prevents them from detonating at extremely short ranges is actually programmed in game either for it to not detonate when within a proximity of the player that shot it, or when within a proximity of the position it started from. Unrealistic arming range mechanics, but we can figure our grenades are horzine modded anyways, for the arming range to be 4m instead of 30m.
    If you stand still, it seems you can't get hit too hard from the explosion of up and down grenades. If you fire a grenade and outrun it to the impact area to get directly hit, I don't know if it detonates, hard to test.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0