• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wwaut - dar 2.0

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone,

What do you do as an enterprising engineer when a Zed outbreak occurs? Turn your prototype Domestic Assistant Robot into a Zed killing machine of course! And when it proves to be extremely unstable with a disturbingly violent personality matrix, and more importantly "unmarketable" to the higher ups, you watch it get crushed into the trash compactor of history. Something about making sure none of them survive the purge... But let us keep our eyes on the future.

dar.png

Introducing the new and improved D.A.R 2.0! Redesigned from the ground up by the perfectly sane and stable employees of Horzine labs, this new unit (available for order soon!) is the latest in their line of territorial defense products. Yes, you may have heard about the incidents where prototype units "occupied" some Horzine facilities, but this was found to have been due to input errors, and the units fulfilled their territorial defense functions perfectly!

However, there has been another "incident." While tests of these units are continuing at Horzine facilities around the globe, a unit at Arctic Outpost 12 had its primary programming overwritten by the Emergency Security Protocols, turning this DAR into a mechanical killing machine. Now this unit shows little concern for human beings except Horzine employees, who it only hates only slightly less than humanity in general. Seeing a new market in military robots, this DAR has been transferred to Zed Containment duty for field testing.

This unit, now calling itself DAR, is being sent to a Horzine contractor (that is you, the players) for free! If it doesn't result in your untimely death in the field, please report that back to corporate as soon as you can! Additional exo frames and armors will be awarded based on your achievements in the field as well as optional purchasables. More details on these accomplishable achievements will be coming soon.

And one last thing... DAR seems to have been recording contractors it has come into contact with, and is using that as its means to communicate back. You can find some samples of this below:

To sum up:
    • All players will get access to the DAR endoskeleton for free with voice
    • Additional DAR exoskeleton armor options can be unlocked in game during an upcoming event
    • Further armor options will be available via the Zed Conomy crates as well as direct purchase

I like the idea you went with - free character, some skins unlockable, some skins purchasable. Very clever and player-friendly business decision, i'll surely be buying some skins for the character.
    I assume head cosmetics would be emotes or other pictures displayed on the head screen.
    Those feet look embarrassing though

p.s. Idea: make head screen images of every other characters face, so DAR could pretend he's Masterson for instance, or Ana, etc. I did a mockup and it looks super creepy, which goes along with that bio pretty well i think
    Spoiler!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Well, as I planned... I'm disappointed. Never really cared much about D.A.R. and I can't say his new design is blowing my mind either.

Still, it's a free fully-fledged character, so that's worth the praise! Good work Tripwire. And I support Pixel's idea : that would make the character so much more interesting!

Upvote 0
    CARDUSH;n2313333 said:
    especial weapons for dar would be cool, you can upgrade them on the trader pod
    like the hand with a gun, or something like that
    a rocket launcher on this shoulder

Well, we had a similar thread about Zed perk + Zed character that would allow unique weapons/mutations that would be visible (and this perk would be avaiable for this character only).
    DAR could work the same way - HORZINE Mech as a new perk, and his appearance would change depending on weapons (Melee blade, integrated gun in arm, rocket launcher on shoulder etc.) you buy, or skills (hardened armor, hydraulic legs for faster movement etc. etc.) you chose.

However i am a bit afraid that people would not like the idea of perks tied to certain character, and characters, tied to certain perk.

Upvote 0
    Dr. Lethal;n2313331 said:
    The second voice clip sounds like The Scout from TF2.

when you think about it, they gone full tf2 mvm on the dar... By that i mean using existing VO and applying robot filter...
    And here i was hoping to hear more beeps and boops, but now we will have annoying Rae's voice cranked to 11 with the robotic noises xd

Reactions: missing_trigger
    Upvote 0